PDA

View Full Version : Concurrence vote for SB-291 (Modify Mandatory Helmet Law) set for Tomorrow

Kickstand
03-27-2012, 01:25 PM
:boobs: Now that I have your full attention, please take immediate action per instructions below:

Michigan's Coalition of Independent Riders (C.O.I.R.) has issued a CALL TO ACTION (CTA) concerning the expected Michigan Senate Concurrence vote on SB-291 tomorrow, Wednesday March 28, 2012.

The CTA will consist of 'telephone calls' to your State Senator the Governors' office, and Senator Howard Walker's (District 37) office in support of SB-291 (in other words, we want them to vote YES).

TOMORROW (Wednesday March 28) the Michigan Senate expected to voting on SB-291 as a "Concurrence Vote". This is a straight yes or no vote with no possibilities for changes. We need all Senators, the Governor, and Senator Howard Walker (District 37) to hear from us in support of this legislation. Walker is the only Senator who voted "YES" on the original bill that has indicated that he MAY not support the bill with a reduced insurance requirement. The original requirement was for an ADDITIONAL $100,000 in coverage.

I have attached talking points; the Governors' phone numbers; and a list of how the Senate voted (YES/NO count).

If you don't know who your Senator is or what their Phone #'s or e-mail addresses are, look them up on "abateofmichigan.org (http://abateofmichigan.org/)". Go to the "Legislative Pages" and go to "Find Your Legislator".

It is critical that you do this TODAY or TOMORROW morning!
Let's fill their phones with our support. Let's ride free this year!

Instructions for Michigan C.O.I.R. Supporters:

Please make every effort to contact your State Senator, the Governor's office, and Senator Howard Walker's (District 37) office TODAY or early TOMORROW morning.
Forward the above details of this CTA to everyone you know that may be able to also make a telephone call in support of this bill.
After you make your call and tell your friends, family, and neighbors, please pass the following information to back to the Michigan C.O.I.R. Lt. Commander John "Deadeye" Mc Intosh (budetosh@yahoo.com) for compilation and analysis:

Number of forwards of the CTA details that you personally sent.
Estimated number that will call their State Senator based on your forwarding.

Thank you for supporting the Michigan Coalition of Independent Riders (C.O.I.R) unit of US Defenders (Michigan).

Remember, we are "One Heart. One Voice!"

Ride safe!

--Kickstand
Commander, Michigan Unit
US Defenders/C.O.I.R.
734-223-6327 - mobile
kickstand@usmvmcmi2.org - email

Hawgrider
03-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Governor - Phone Numbers to call the Governor.pdf (http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1472&d=1332868682)
Facts about MichiganMandatory Helmet Law.pdf (http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1473&d=1332868683)
STATE SENATORS for 2011-13.pdf (http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1474&d=1332868695)

Will do. Im on it like flys on ****

Thanks for your post.

Gas Man
03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Good post.

Kosher
03-28-2012, 01:09 PM
PASSED, WOOT! Now on the Governor's desk, but its not clear whether he'll sign it. In the past hes indicated that he wants it included in broader insurance reform legislation.

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/03/michigan_senate_votes_to_allow.html

meinschaft
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I just went out in the garage and put some latex gloves and alcohol wipes under my seat. Gray matter is slippery on pavement and the alcohol is for the blood-borne pathogens.

Kosher
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
I just went out in the garage and put some latex gloves and alcohol wipes under my seat. Gray matter is slippery on pavement and the alcohol is for the blood-borne pathogens.

Well, I guess by that logic we aught to outlaw smoking. And alcohol. And really, being sedentary and overweight should be illegal. Each of these things, I'd speculate, are more dangerous *choices* and costly than riding without a helmet.

Plus I can imagine that there are accidents where if you're wearing a helmet, it prevents death, yes, but you are left as a vegetable. I prefer death.

Remo
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
You will still not catch me skipping out on wearing a helmet...

Kosher
03-28-2012, 04:26 PM
You will still not catch me skipping out on wearing a helmet...

99.9% of the time for me as well, I'm just really tired of the over reaching nanny state.

Gas Man
03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
That's great for those that want it. I will wear my helmet.

Hawgrider
03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Some here know how I feel about the issue. But Im going to show restraint this time. Im staying out of the tit for tat arguments. This time.

Gas Man
03-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I Think I would know what you will say about it hawg.

katrider98
03-30-2012, 03:06 AM
i`m all for that,whoever wants to wear the lid...let them decide,i will wear mine tho.we have too many laws governing simple pleasures.arent there real crimes being commited out there?although seeing the hair flowing on a helmetless girl would be great.

Hawgrider
03-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I Think I would know what you will say about it hawg.Yeah it was our first interaction....lol
But now there is a better mutual respect. So i'll step up to the plate and show restraint........ Hey somebody loosen the arms up on this straight jacket I cant get to my beer:cheers:

Gas Man
03-31-2012, 02:27 AM
Yeah. But we know how each other feels and I would like to think we will still ride together sometime.

Nobody
03-31-2012, 08:47 AM
I do believe I just heard on NPR that it passed and is awaiting Rick's john hancock.

toby
03-31-2012, 10:40 PM
no big deal to me if its passed. any news on it

Hawgrider
04-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Yeah. But we know how each other feels and I would like to think we will still ride together sometime.Definitely could. We just wont discuss Politics and helmets. We could talk bikes guns booze and broads.:)

Gas Man
04-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I like those last 4 topics!!!

And for the record... I don't like talking Politics with anybody... :lol: