PDA

View Full Version : Selling a motorcycle, what works best for you?

Remo
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Not sure if anything like this has been posted on here before but I figure this might be useful for a lot of us as we buy new bikes or upgrade bikes and have to deal with selling our old bikes.

I picked up a new-to-me bike last fall (2004 R1) :moto:and now it's time to unload my old bike (2000 R1). I have it all cleaned up, de-personalized, ready to ride and what not. Now I need to find a good place to market my bike. I have tried Craigslist but recently took the bike off of there. The free add’s and high traffic volumes make Craigslist attractive, but I don’t like the shady characters :psy:, stupid questions :orly:, scammers :spam:, and low ballers that Craigslist tends to yield. I purchased a print add in Michigan Auto&RV last week hoping to attract a better crowd and it will be in next week’s publication, so I guess I will wait and see on that. I have also posted a free add on Cycle Trader, and posted the bike on various forums (including TWMI) that I am a member of. I live in a subdivision with limited traffic volume so a roadside sale is pretty much out of the question. I am not really in a hurry to sell but at the same time the bike is doing me no good just sitting in my garage.

So my question is, what works or has worked best for you when you were selling your motorcycle? Are there any other sites or publications that I should consider listing the bike in? Just kind of throwing this out there looking for some ideas, thanks in advance for your input.

Hawgrider
03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Auto trader and Cycle trader is almost a thing of the past. I used to use them and roadside sales exclusively but since Craiglist has been around it has been slim pickings on The trader ads for buying and selling. Yes craiglist is a bit of a pain with the scammers and low ballers but it is where most are going these days. One of the clues for bogus craiglist response's is the- " Is your Item still for sale" Hit delete when those come in. Low ballers tell em to suck exaust fumes.

Other options - Join Motorcycle forums and list your bike in there classified sections or sell the old fashion way and put it out on the road when you can keep an eye on it.

Bike nights will be starting soon would be another option. Good luck with your sale.

One other way Ive used is to take an index card or printed ad and pin them up at your local bike shops and or biker bars. Ive used the board at Boomers Bike shop in waterford off Dixie Hwy and the board at the PLI (Pontiac Lake Inn)

ABI
03-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Seeing as I live in or close to the middle of nowhere, I use craigslist because of the high volume. Sure you have to deal with the scammers, low ballers and idiots but it's pretty easy to do. Scammers are so obvious anymore it's not even funny. And really I don't mind lowballers, at least it's an offer and I've sold a few bikes to people who started out as lowballers. If you come back with a reasonable counter and it gets there attention. I also have an enclosed trailer and an willing to deliver the bike which helps in the winter for many.

Kosher
03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes, there are lowballers on Craigslist, but please, when you list your bike, DONT BE A CRACK HEAD, like this guy.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/2881208780.html

K (http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/2881208780.html)BB lists it for $8250 *retail* which is dealer used pricing and always high. Yes, the price probably assumes higher mileage, so you can add some $ back for that but not $5K.

For $1500 over what this guy is asking, you can have a new Wide Glide which gives you a (much) larger motor, 6 speed trans, and a two year warranty.

Gas Man
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I have to agree with hawgrider... I can't add much to that.

Hawgrider
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Dayum if we keep agreeing with each other ....... Guess we will have to sit down and drink a beer someday.......lol

Remo
03-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Yea, my price is a little over KBB but nothing crazy like that Dyna Glide . Plus, I see comparable R1's that have been dropped (mine has never met the ground) and what not selling for around what I am asking.

I made a few small adds yesterday to post up when I see the opportunity...

Kosher
03-08-2012, 12:53 PM
And then there's the notion that some people just have some very strange taste.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2878078737.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2890446163.html (http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2878078737.html)

Kosher
03-08-2012, 12:56 PM
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2889740922.html

Gas Man
03-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Dayum if we keep agreeing with each other ....... Guess we will have to sit down and drink a beer someday.......lol

I know it's like strange things... next thing you know you'll be able to see planets in the sky with your bare eye. :lol:

Katharine
03-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, Craigslist is one of those things where you have to invest a lot of energy to weed out the weirdos and scammers-- whether you're buying or selling.

I've bought two good cars from Craigslist, and sold one to someone I felt pretty good about dealing with, but I sure had to sort out a lot of crap along the way each time-- from two different cars in different ads in different cities sporting the same license plate, to the guy who emailed me at 9 p.m. and told me he'd come buy my car from me right then (sight unseen) AND he'd trade me this great sound system he has for it.

it's definitely something you have to have the time and energy to deal with, but you can get good results that way. (Whenever I browse and dream, it's always on C-list. :) )

junkyardjon
03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
i sold a few cars on CL pretty quick, same day within hours of posting at fair market price.

bikes, mostly everyone is word of mouth.

Remo
03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Well, Craigslist ended up redeeming itself. Put the bike back up there on Monday this time without a phone number in the add. Received an email within a half hour, called the guy back, he started out as a low baller, I told him that I will not be giving the bike away, once he arrived and saw exactly how nice the bike is I got what I was asking. I also got a 3 calls from my Auto&RV add, one guy was a no show, the other two were dealers looking to low-ball. Just glad that the bike is finally sold.

Gas Man
03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
You got money in your hand... done?

Remo
03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Yep, he came cash in hand Monday night, bike is gone.

Gas Man
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM
WOW Awesome for you.

Remo
03-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Yep,it worked out quite well. More room in the garage and 1 less bike to insure/maintain.

Gas Man
03-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Yep,it worked out quite well. More room in the garage and 1 less bike to insure/maintain.

Yeah that's a nice deal.

The bike did look good together though...

But now you can do some more cool shit to your 2004!

Remo
03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Yea, it was (and hopefully will still be) a nice bike, the odd thing is it's going back to its old neighborhood (literally a few blocks away from where I bought it at) lol. And yes, I have already bought a few things for the 2004.

Gas Man
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Sweet... put up a thread on the new stuff.