PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Motorcycel Registration Requirements

fishingfooltim
02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
I am new to this forum and am new to motorcycles also. I have gotten my first motorcycle ever and it is a 1972 Suzuki TS 185 and my question is what are the minimum required equipment on my bike do I need to register it and ride it legally on the rode? The main reason that I aski is because the headlight is burned out and I can not find a replacement anywhere unless I want to pay $160 or more for one off of Ebay. So basicly I guess what I am asking is if I don't ride my bike at night by law do I have to have a working headlight? Also what about turn signals and mirrors? I am just going to tool around on short drives for run with it. I did try to search the site to see if this question has already been asked and I couldn't find it so I applogize if it has already been posted. Thanks.

Thruxtonbill
02-08-2012, 01:26 PM
No headlight during the day is ok, you need turn signals and atleast one mirror.

Kosher
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
No headlight during the day is ok, you need turn signals and atleast one mirror.

Turn signals are not required in Michigan: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=mi

fishingfooltim
02-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Thank Kosher. That is good to know. I still want a working headlight but at least now I know that not having one won't prevent me from riding it. A mirror and turn signals will not be a problem.

Kosher
02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
A buddy of mine, old time biker, has a 1990 Softail Springer with big apes, and he assiduously makes sure he has nothing on the bike that's not required - headlight not withstanding.

No turn signals, 1 (useless) mirror, etc etc. Re-wired it so the headlight does NOT come on when he turns the bike on, only when he turns it on, LOL.

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff-Bucket/DSC019181/1078028015_gw4Lv-XL.jpg

fishingfooltim
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone. It is good to know that my bike is street legal, in the daytime at least, as it sits right now. Now I just need to get my motorcycle endorsment on my license and I will be all set.

Thruxtonbill
02-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I did not know you are not required to have turn signals(I'd have them anyway).
Take the MSF course, you'll learn alot and get your endorsment.

Kosher
02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I did not know you are not required to have turn signals(I'd have them anyway).
Take the MSF course, you'll learn alot and get your endorsment.

Take the Riders Edge course offered at some Harley dealerships. I would suggest you use the Harley Davidson Riders Edge locator, but its busted (http://go.mappoint.net/HarleyDavidson/PrxResults.aspx?LL=en-US&AD4=USA&brand=hre&ridersearch=1&GSTATE=MI&FC=RidersEdge). Not sure if Vehicle City HD offers it, but I suspect not because its not mentioned on their web site.

The Riders Edge course is much better than what you get at the community college riders courses. Yes, you endure a bit of a sales pitch on the first evening, but the class size is *way* smaller and you get more personal attention. True, the community college courses are much less expensive, but they are overcrowded goat rodeos.

sprink
02-08-2012, 06:43 PM
............... the community college courses are much less expensive, but they are overcrowded goat rodeos.

Kinda fun to watch!

Gas Man
02-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Welcome. and as Kosher said... check out the riders edge. I suggest checking in with Cummings HD on Miller Rd.

Kosher
02-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Welcome. and as Kosher said... check out the riders edge. I suggest checking in with Cummings HD on Miller Rd.

Yeah, thats now Vehicle City HD, no mention of Riders Edge on their site, but worth a call.

fishingfooltim
02-08-2012, 11:43 PM
I am definitely going to take class, probably in the early spring. I work right by Vehicle City HD so I will have to stop in and ask them about the Riders Edge class and droole over the new Harleys. I am going to put turn signals on my bike and I want a working headlight but I am not going to worry it some much now that I know I don't need. I will just keep looking and hopefully I will run across one someday at a good price. Thanks again everyone.

Nobody
02-08-2012, 11:48 PM
required is break +running light, illumination for the toe tag, headlight, and 1 mirror. And insurance obviously else they DMV won't give you the toe tag.

Hawgrider
02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Turn signals are not required in Michigan but....... If the bike is equipped with them they must work. If they dont work remove them from the bike.

Hawgrider
02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
A buddy of mine, old time biker, has a 1990 Softail Springer with big apes, and he assiduously makes sure he has nothing on the bike that's not required - headlight not withstanding.

No turn signals, 1 (useless) mirror, etc etc. Re-wired it so the headlight does NOT come on when he turns the bike on, only when he turns it on, LOL.

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff-Bucket/DSC019181/1078028015_gw4Lv-XL.jpgHe used to be or maybe still is a chef at Mr B's off Dixie hwy. He used to run a great bike night years ago at mr B's. Called himself Tarzan then too. Cool dude! I recognize the scooter.

toby
02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
heck i just have a headlight and taillight on my bobber

RedneckMedic
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Turn signals are not required in Michigan: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=mi

None on my ride

Katharine
03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
The Riders Edge course is much better than what you get at the community college riders courses. Yes, you endure a bit of a sales pitch on the first evening, but the class size is *way* smaller and you get more personal attention. True, the community college courses are much less expensive, but they are overcrowded goat rodeos.

Really? Damn. I was thinking of taking one. Figured at that price, it'd be worth doing to see if I even like riding. Waste of time, then?

Bagger Dave
03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Really? Damn. I was thinking of taking one. Figured at that price, it'd be worth doing to see if I even like riding. Waste of time, then?
I know a couple people that took the community college course around town here...they said it was pretty good...I guess it depends on were you take it or what town you take it in....

Moesride
03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Really? Damn. I was thinking of taking one. Figured at that price, it'd be worth doing to see if I even like riding. Waste of time, then? While I do agree with Kosher that the Riders Edge coarses that HD offers are a bit more personal, taking the safety coarse at a community college isn't a waste of time Katharine. I did mine at schoolcraft college, forget how much maybe $25--$50, but the class was not that big at all. Got plenty of attention as far as instruction, in the classroom and on the riding coarse. Do it....you will learn alot and for the money, you cant go wrong.

Gas Man
03-04-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm with Moe...

The HD Riders Edge is 200% better but has the price with it.
The MSF is better than nothing and it's only $25.

I have taken the class 3 times.

Beginners
Advanced
Beginners with the wifey, as moral support.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/July2007023.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/July2007019.jpg

The bikes are JUNK and contribute to rider problems when you're dealing with noob riders. Then the a-hole I had during that picture would even count things against the rider during their tests that were obvious bike condition issues. But I heard from other people there that the other class instructor was not doing that. Typical govt worker cross section crap. At least the Riders Edge has the fact that they are at a dealership and you're a customer. I think that adds to better treatment. I know that the Riders Edge uses the Buell Blast and are kept in PERFECT running condition.

Nobody
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Did mine at Schoolcraft. The riding group was only 7 people, and the instructor was great.

Gas Man
03-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Yeah we did ours at the westland schoolcraft (ratcliff I think), but there were 3 classes. We got the a-hole!

Katharine
03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Schoolcraft was one of the ones I was thinking of, I think, so maybe I'd be okay. Thanks for the tips. :)

Katharine
03-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Second question (yeah, I'm hijacking the thread, sorry)-- am I going to be totally lost in an MSF class if I've never even been on a bike before? I know that's what they're designed for, but realistically, I imagine that like my boss, most people in these classes will have at least tooled around before and won't be total n00bs. I have several coworkers who ride, but none I'm tight enough with (or live close enough to) to have them teach me, so I'd be learning from scratch. I drive stick and do my reading, of course, but all the book knowledge in the world doesn't help with practical, hands-on experience... am I gonna be way in over my head?

Kosher
03-11-2012, 08:45 PM
You'll be fine, most people have never been on a bike before they take the class. You may find one or two who already ride but are trying to 'get legal'

Gas Man
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Just take the beginning class and you'll be fine. That is exactly what it is for.

Bagger Dave
03-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Just take the beginning class and you'll be fine. That is exactly what it is for.

yep yep! :rockwoot:

RedneckMedic
03-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Ya they start off the class by having you sit on the bike then you get off the bike. then the next time you get on you actually pick the kick stand up just to feel the weight and then get off again. They start you off real slow and then add steps as the day goes on until your riding in circles and over boards and what not. you'll do fine.

junkyardjon
03-13-2012, 07:20 AM
i liked the $25 class, i even adjusted the carb and clutch cable before we started riding lol. they were a little off lol.

Gas Man
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I bet they were off.... those bikes are beat!

Kosher
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
He used to be or maybe still is a chef at Mr B's off Dixie hwy. He used to run a great bike night years ago at mr B's. Called himself Tarzan then too. Cool dude! I recognize the scooter.

Found this old thread. Definitely not the same guy.