PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy most of your bike assocories?

Gas Man
01-29-2012, 05:55 PM
I buy a bunch online and some of it at my dealer.

What about you?

Moesride
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Most ..but not all my purchases come from Ebay followed by my local Dealer. I was winning bidder just last night on Ebay for this small bdm strut bag.

fatmanracing
01-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Sportbiketrackgear.com since I can go in and see what I'm buying, and try things on....

I supposed that will change when I eventually get an HD.

sprink
01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Owning a Sportster, I am a member of the xlforum. Along with a lot of valuable information, I have picked up ane sold a few things on their classified pages. Craigslist and e-bay have also help buying and selling.

sprink
01-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Sportbiketrackgear.com since I can go in and see what I'm buying, and try things on....

I supposed that will change when I eventually get an HD.

I have purchased a fair amount of gear from STG, all since buying my Harley (I don't dress like a pirate, lol). :scared:

toby
01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
on line and swap meets and sometimes the dealer

Gas Man
01-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I guess I forgot buying off forums.

RedneckMedic
01-29-2012, 11:40 PM
I think just about everything i buy is online mostly for conveience and price. I think just about all accesories i used on the shadow are used except for the handle bars.

Kosher
01-30-2012, 09:05 AM
I buy a bunch online and some of it at my dealer.

What about you?

A lot from the dealer, some on line.

Craigslist purchases include luggage rack, detachable backrest. Bought a set of bag guards from a member on hdforums.com.

Sold a BUNCH of crap off my Heritage on Craigslist.

I'll probably buy more from CL, at some point I want to swap out my spokes for the ultra touring wheels, I've seen decent deals there, but right now we're spending money like drunken sailors so it will have to wait.

fatmanracing
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
I really try to like craigslist, but man you really have to weed out the idiots and scammers a lot....

Gas Man
01-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I hear that FMR. I just downloaded 2 apps for craiglist to my iphone. They are real nice.

Moesride
01-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I really try to like craigslist, but man you really have to weed out the idiots and scammers a lot.... I agree Fat...I had a couple bad experiences with the last one putting me over the edge. Had a bike I sold to a guy that left me a deposit ( third the value of the bike) with the balance owed a week later. So I take the listing off. Week and a half goes by and he calls me wanting his deposit money back. Pissed me off! My falut really.. rule #1 no deposit, #2, should have know better after I meet him, real Douche. Gave him his money back.

Kosher
01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
yeah, I wouldn't sell a bike that way, frankly outside of trading in, I don't see how you can complete a private sale that large with a great deal of confidence that you wouldnt get screwed.

Gas Man
01-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Always take a NON - REFUNDABLE deposit.

Remo
01-31-2012, 12:15 AM
I voted other, simply because I have used all of the above except for swap meets. I prefer to buy my gear from a dealship or another "birck and mortar" type store (such as Sportbike Track Gear) simply because I like to try my gear on before I buy it, everything fits a little differently between different brands. Other than that, I buy most of my parts and bike accessories online or off Craigslist...

Moesride
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
yeah, I wouldn't sell a bike that way, frankly outside of trading in, I don't see how you can complete a private sale that large with a great deal of confidence that you wouldnt get screwed. Right on Kosher! Lesson learned.... not to happen again for sure. To many things that can go wrong.

Chris....we did write up a short purchase agreement but I never put non-refundable on the deposit. Bottom line.. cash and carry, NO DEPOSITS!!

Remo
01-31-2012, 12:25 AM
yeah, I wouldn't sell a bike that way, frankly outside of trading in, I don't see how you can complete a private sale that large with a great deal of confidence that you wouldnt get screwed.

I have sold a few vehicles via Craigslist. You just have to be very careful with any private party transaction. My policy is usually "cash only" and I mark all the bills on high-value transactions before I let the buyer ride or drive off into the sunset. I will take certified checks but only under limited circumstances, if I don't know the buyer personally I make them wait until the check clears before they pick up the vehicle. Once the buyer brings me the check I sign over the title, photocopy it, and give them the copy. I hold onto the original title until they are allowed to pick up the vehicle. Once the check clears, I call them to come pick up the vehicle and trade them the original title for the copy (for my records) and off they go. One time, I had a buyer who did not want to wait so he let me go to his credit union with him, had the teller give him a print out of his account balance, showed the balance to me to verify he had the funds that were necessary, and then got the certified check on the spot, all while a watched. I ended up letting him take the car home that day...

Remo
01-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Another thing too with private party sales, I always type up a bill of sale stating that the vehicle is sold as-is, with no warranties. Even though all private party sales are suppose to be "as-is" in the state of Michigan unless otherwise noted, I still make sure the buyer understands that there are not any warranties or guarantees and get it on paper just in case. When I sold my first streetbike, the buyer made an attempt to fix an issue with the front turn signals and ended up setting the bike on fire, melting the main wiring harness and frying the cluster, than called me saying I sold him a junk bike (the bike was ridable as-is, and all known issues were disclosed prior to the sale) I said hey, I told you there was an issue with the front blinkers and just to leave them alone, and reminded him of the waiver he signed, sorry, have a nice day..

Bagger Dave
01-31-2012, 06:26 AM
I buy most of my stuff on-line...or Gas Man always tells me about cool shit to buy! :whoop: :rockwoot:

Gas Man
01-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Hell yeah Dave, I love spending other peoples money. Then I get to help work on it, bolt on the new doo-dad and get to go WOW without hitting my wallet.

Bagger Dave
01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Hell yeah Dave, I love spending other peoples money. Then I get to help work on it, bolt on the new doo-dad and get to go WOW without hitting my wallet.

:rockwoot:

WILEY
01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
I responded that I buy most of my stuff on Craigslist.

Really I buy stuff there and from other used sources or my local Independant shop. My Indy will match or beat most deals i can find, but even if he cant always i still buy there. WHY???? Because i have a real human person who gives a shit about me and keeping my business vs. some website that may or may not be there next week.

I am into the old bikes, so of my stuff comes from word of mouth. My number gets handed to someone and I get a call to see if i am interested.

DK Custom
02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Wherever google search or posts on forums lead me. I buy very little from brick & mortar locations.

Gas Man
02-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Says a great online retailer. Way to go Kevin.