PDA

View Full Version : Your next bike... NEW or USED

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I am at the point in my life where I just prefer to buy new. This goes for about everything. I mean I make good money so why not.

However, with the economy and such, there are so many GREAT deals on used bikes. Even if there were a few items needing attention, you great the bike for such a cheap price, spend a few extra $$, turn a wrench and love it!!

What about you?

Bagger Dave
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I am at the point in my life where I just prefer to buy new. This goes for about everything. I mean I make good money so why not.

Yep yep!:rockwoot:

seatmaker
01-26-2012, 06:09 PM
New Classic for me. Not sure when or how but it will happen. :dthumb:

Remo
01-26-2012, 06:21 PM
At this point in my life I will only buy used because:

1) I don't hold onto my bikes long enough, I usually keep my bikes for a couple years than I am ready for something newer/different.
2) Being only 22, insurance on a new bike would probably be more than my monthly payments.

Maybe once i get older and wiser(maybe), and actually find something I intend to keep I will buy something new :piss:

There are some great deals out there to be had on new bikes though. I just picked up my 2004 Yamaha R1 last October with only 1,000 miles on it for a more than awesome price.

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Good luck Seat... you deserve it!!

Remo, I hear ya... I can honestly say... my current bike dubbed "Street Classic" is by far my most favorite bike. As I have said in the water cooled HD thread... I have NO/ZERO/NOT plans on getting rid of it. I am so content with it... it's just perfect for what I want, I have it just where I want it.

Remo
01-26-2012, 06:35 PM
I know for me, I found some great deals on brand new, left-over, 2008 R1's at the begining of 2011. I was excited and ready to buy, than I got an insurance quote and insurance was like $2,500 a year for full coverage which I would most definitely want on a brand new bike. And I have a clean driving record and I am a Licensed Commercial Driver as well. I don't know how some of these people my age are able to afford a new bike, especially with colorful driving records. The payments are favorable but the insurance is :damn:

Moesride
01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
New bike here. I know there's alot of great deals on used bikes, but for me you just can't beat having a bike that has been ridden by anyone but yourself. I'm on the fence right now on tradeing my Dog in for a Denim Black Street Glide. We'll see :idk:

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I remember those days Remo. Some of it is which insurance company you are using. This has been gone over more times than I can remember. 2 words for you. State Farm

Moe. I hear ya there. Keep us advised on your progress.

Thruxtonbill
01-27-2012, 12:52 PM
It would really depend on what bike I was getting, If I ever pulled the trigger on a Duc it would be new, would not think twice about a used Jap bike. I can spend 5 mins with the bike and owner to figure out if he thrashed, babied it, whatever. Some bikes are cared for like they've been in a museum.

RedneckMedic
01-27-2012, 06:32 PM
well I've had my eye on a street glide for the past year and am going to try and make that a reality in the spring. As far as new or used it will have to depend on any deals I can get on a new one because I'm sure everyone prefers new price comes into play a lot. I, like Moe, would love a 2012 denim black street glide. fell in love with the bike on that trip I took over the summer. So we will see how it goes.

Gas Man
01-27-2012, 11:47 PM
It would really depend on what bike I was getting, If I ever pulled the trigger on a Duc it would be new, would not think twice about a used Jap bike. I can spend 5 mins with the bike and owner to figure out if he thrashed, babied it, whatever. Some bikes are cared for like they've been in a museum.

So true man. Allot can be said by just judging the owner. Or hell the owners garage. :lol:

DK Custom
01-28-2012, 12:47 AM
I am completely unimpressed with the new Twin Cams coming out of the factory. The list is too long to get into, but the latest is that you can no longer replace the valve guides. I would rather have an older TC or even better an S&S. After my current TC 103 is out of warranty and needs rebuilding, I will replace it with an S&S.

On the sporty side of things, I would buy a new one before a used.

Nobody
01-28-2012, 04:31 PM
I prefer my bikes used. Cheaper, more character, and I just don't feel right if I don't have something in the living room being worked on :D but to each their own.

toby
01-29-2012, 05:15 AM
not sure yet used most likey old shovel head

telecast
01-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't know how some of these people my age are able to afford a new bike, especially with colorful driving records. The payments are favorable but the insurance is :damn:

The cost of your insurance is dependant on:
Value of bike
If it's a popular theft target
Engine size
Area you live

A guy that lives in Monroe County will pay about 10-15% less than you on the same bike. The difference between 1000c and 600cc is substantial, and so on. You can save some money with an anti theft device.

The other thing is you really have no idea who is properly insured. Some will get the cheapest they can. Some get insurance to plate the bike and never make another insurance payment. If it's financed, you MUST carry full coverage. Most lenders monitor it and if they find out you let it lapse, they'll add their own insurance to your payment, and it ain't cheap.

And of course some people get their bike, insurance, and gas money from mommy and daddy.

Lrider
01-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Depends what's available at the time. Sometimes the used bikes aren't that much cheaper than the new ones. If I can buy a new bike for maybe 2 grand more, I'm buying the new one.

meinschaft
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
The only way I'd buy a new bike is if it was a 1 or 2 year old model that had been sitting unsold and I could save a few grand versus new. My last 4 bikes were used and each was in excellent condiion. The worst problem I encountered, mechanical condition-wise, was a leaking fork seal. I did have to walk away from some I was tempted to buy, reminding myself that there are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS more bikes out there.

After riding each for at least two years, I sold all but one for more than I paid for it. With the other one, I sold it for $300 less than what I paid. Riding for a couple 2-3 years, and selling for a 'profit' also silenced any objections from management about my hobby/habit. It's been my experience that if you are patient and spend time scouring the various ads, you can find great deals on clean, low-mileage bikes. You also have to know what you will spend and be ready to walk if you can't agree on a price.

When I bought my current ride, it was 1 year old with 2,200 miles, pristine, still under warranty. I got it for $1400 LESS than what the owner initially said was his rock-bottom price (and about HALF the price of a new one). When I went to pick up the bike, his wife was at church. After counting out a stack of crisp Benjamins for him, he asked me NOT to tell his wife what I paid. Who am I to sabotage a brother rider?????

Thruxtonbill
02-01-2012, 01:21 PM
The only way I'd buy a new bike is if it was a 1 or 2 year old model that had been sitting unsold and I could save a few grand versus new. My last 4 bikes were used and each was in excellent condiion. The worst problem I encountered, mechanical condition-wise, was a leaking fork seal. I did have to walk away from some I was tempted to buy, reminding myself that there are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS more bikes out there.

After riding each for at least two years, I sold all but one for more than I paid for it. With the other one, I sold it for $300 less than what I paid. Riding for a couple 2-3 years, and selling for a 'profit' also silenced any objections from management about my hobby/habit. It's been my experience that if you are patient and spend time scouring the various ads, you can find great deals on clean, low-mileage bikes. You also have to know what you will spend and be ready to walk if you can't agree on a price.

When I bought my current ride, it was 1 year old with 2,200 miles, pristine, still under warranty. I got it for $1400 LESS than what the owner initially said was his rock-bottom price (and about HALF the price of a new one). When I went to pick up the bike, his wife was at church. After counting out a stack of crisp Benjamins for him, he asked me NOT to tell his wife what I paid. Who am I to sabotage a brother rider?????
Pure evil.

Mad Dog
02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm with ya Chris on buying new. Full warranty. Overkill on maintenance and yer good to go.
Just bought a new Lund Fishing Boat. Can't take it with you. Besides I have seen too many save it till they were too old to enjoy it.
My dad was a good teacher. When he was 80 years old we were blasting across 4th lake in the Adirondaks at 100mph on snowmobiles.
That was his last trip. He's now 83 but slowing down. The years catch us all too soon. Have fun and enjoy life now.........