PDA

View Full Version : Rent a lift.... rent a tool.... rent a mechanic.....

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 09:48 AM
This is the basis in which I use in my garage...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift Wrenching/Sep 08 Day/092708024a.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift Wrenching/VRnPrimary004a.jpg
But theirs is on steroids cause it's an actual shop! If I could quit my job and have the money to do this... I would do it in a heart beat...

http://vimeo.com/35403052

Trainguy
01-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Very Good times, gettin' the job done with friends.:rockwoot:

Kosher
01-26-2012, 02:40 PM
This is kinda like my "Cam fest" idea where a bunch of guys, at least 1 with experience, all get together, buy/share special tools and have some fun.

I proposed something like this to my local Harley dealer, they looked at me like I had a foot growing out of my forehead.

Basically the idea was to do “workshops”, kinda like home depot.

But lets say 4 guys get together to do a “Cam Workshop”. Bring your bike in, use their tools, buy the parts from the dealer, share a mechanic for advice/guidance.

Participants would split the cost of the mech’s time, even some extra for, say, space/tool rental. That way the dealership and the mech gets paid, some really beneficial PR/Customer sat love, etc.

I don’t even think it would be cheaper for anyone to do this but the ability to work on it yourself with help from an expert would be great, I’d think.

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 04:08 PM
I agree Kosher...

And I'll tell ya, we do that at my house... we're not mechanics (well we have one mechanic and one machinist)... but we get by and have some fun.

Kosher
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
That would be killer fun, Chris, we should try to pull off a Cam Fest or similar.

Its going to be a busy summer for me, but would love to see if I can make it happen

I agree Kosher...

And I'll tell ya, we do that at my house... we're not mechanics (well we have one mechanic and one machinist)... but we get by and have some fun.

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 04:58 PM
as you can see we have done a few already...
Even have some video from Dave's re-wire
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL93CC73DD25FFF167

even did a start up party when I was doing the chopper rebuild
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0E16986BFFD17E31

Bagger Dave
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Very Good times, gettin' the job done with friends.:rockwoot:

as you can see we have done a few already...
Even have some video from Dave's re-wire
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL93CC73DD25FFF167

even did a start up party when I was doing the chopper rebuild
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0E16986BFFD17E31

Hell yeah!! :rockwoot: :cheers: :dthumb:

Moesride
01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Very nice on the re-wire and Phoenix vids Chris. That first pic with all those Dogs in front of your place is Killer!! Very cool! :dthumb:

Kosher
01-26-2012, 09:33 PM
This is the basis in which I use in my garage...

LOL, your neighbors must LOVE you Chris! This is a great picture. :hss:

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks Moe.

My neighbors are great for the most part. My direct neighbor, the one that was tryin to have a garage sale in that pic. I was his best man last year at his wedding. Yeah we're good there. Plus I am the neighbor that is always looking out for everybody else.

Kosher
01-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Plus I am the neighbor that is always looking out for everybody else.

Yeah, looks like a rough neighborhood, LOL

Gas Man
01-27-2012, 08:05 AM
That's not what I mean. But you don't have to be in a bad neighborhood to have stupid kids F'in with your property. Also we have so low rent apts nearby that bring in some not so good. I work weird hours so I'm always coming and going. I grab their blowing trash cans from going down the street. My point is I'm a good neighbor so having a bunch of bikes out front on a weekend day isn't a big deal.

Kosher
01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
I get it, I was just yankin yer chain. :)

That's not what I mean. But you don't have to be in a bad neighborhood to have stupid kids F'in with your property. Also we have so low rent apts nearby that bring in some not so good. I work weird hours so I'm always coming and going. I grab their blowing trash cans from going down the street. My point is I'm a good neighbor so having a bunch of bikes out front on a weekend day isn't a big deal.

Gas Man
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
I know it's guud

Moesride
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I get it, I was just yankin yer chain. :) Oh Crap... that don't sound right!! :D :cheers:

junkyardjon
02-04-2012, 08:31 AM
i do this all the time, my door is always open but alot of people don't wanna get their hands dirty or think it's just to hard for them to figure out. it's like their scaried of working on their bike or they just wanna buy shiny new parts and act like they built something. then theirs the internet expert's, the one's who only know what the internet say's... well i have news for them, the internet ain't gonna fix your bike.
i don't know how many times i've proven the internet experts wrong but they still don't think it won't work. all they have to do is get their hands dirty, maybe thats the problem?
then there's the people who tell everybody to take it to the dealer... those are the one's i ask to leave cause we sure as hell don't think alike in any shape or form !! i butted heads enough times with people that now i just don't deal with them. but if they want it fixed, i charge shop rate cause i have a shop and my certs LOL.

i enjoy helping others and as long as they help work on their own bike, i won't charge a dime excepct for parts cause i ain't footing the bill for others on parts.

junkyardjon
02-04-2012, 08:34 AM
oh and i don't loan out tools anymore !!!

Gas Man
02-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm with ya Jon. And I never charge as long as they want to help. Even if I'm doing the majority. For me it's about the brotherhood, learning, hanging out, and shooting the shit.

Now if somebody wants to drop off and pick up later. That's different.

But also I'm not a mechanic with certs. Although when we have wrench days some guys show up are.

Bagger Dave
02-04-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm with ya Jon. And I never charge as long as they want to help. Even if I'm doing the majority. For me it's about the brotherhood, learning, hanging out, and shooting the shit.

Now if somebody wants to drop off and pick up later. That's different.

But also I'm not a mechanic with certs. Although when we have wrench days some guys show up are.

yep...Chris is one of the most generous people that I know....whenever I take my bike over to his house...I always like to get my hands dirty and help...and learn something new. I always take care of buying the food or dinner and drinks :rockwoot: I even gave him a brand new pair of Oakley's for always taking care of me! just my way of showing how much I appreciate his help! :dthumb:

Gas Man
02-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah Dave's my best lift guy... well him and DJ. But it's exactly what I mean to have in my garage.

Kosher
02-04-2012, 10:27 AM
i do this all the time, my door is always open but alot of people don't wanna get their hands dirty or think it's just to hard for them to figure out. it's like their scaried of working on their bike or they just wanna buy shiny new parts and act like they built something. then theirs the internet expert's, the one's who only know what the internet say's... well i have news for them, the internet ain't gonna fix your bike.
i don't know how many times i've proven the internet experts wrong but they still don't think it won't work. all they have to do is get their hands dirty, maybe thats the problem?
then there's the people who tell everybody to take it to the dealer... those are the one's i ask to leave cause we sure as hell don't think alike in any shape or form !! i butted heads enough times with people that now i just don't deal with them. but if they want it fixed, i charge shop rate cause i have a shop and my certs LOL.

i enjoy helping others and as long as they help work on their own bike, i won't charge a dime excepct for parts cause i ain't footing the bill for others on parts.

I dont mind getting my hands dirty, in fact I love it, but I'm afraid of doing something wrong, thats all. I consider myself a fairly handy person, its *knowledge* I lack. I do read all the "its easy!" threads, but I also read the threads where something went wrong after they buttoned it up, I would personally prefer to avoid that. :)

But once I learn to do something the first time, I usually can be self sufficient and I'd be harassing all my local riding buds to do these mods with me leading the charge.

If/when yall put something together like this, I'd certainly like to participate if I can fit it in, I would be very appreciative of everyone's time and expertise. The generosity and camaraderie is awesome!

Gas Man
02-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Hell yeah Kosher... that is usually the issue with most people. They are worried... they just paid $20k +/- for their bike and dont want to mess it up. But if we walk through it and talk about it. They are great events!!! We didn't get any done last year, but I hope to make up for it...

We just need a few bikes that are in need of a project...

Bagger Dave
02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
They are great events!!! We didn't get any done last year, but I hope to make up for it...

We just need a few bikes that are in need of a project...

except for when we did the Wire-Plus and HID and changed all my fluids...John(N8KAM) was the man on the wiring! :rockwoot::dthumb:
That was a good time! and everything worked too! :whoop:

RedneckMedic
02-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Ya and when I left the house I needed a push start cause I left the key turned in the ignition and proceeded to get soaked in the rain on my way home.

Moesride
02-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm right with you on this one Kosher. Not a matter of getting your hands dirty....it's the lack of knowledge like you said.

Gas hit it dead nuts on...nobody want's to tear into there bike if they don't know what there doing. Hell, next to my Family,friends and my work.....bike falls in dead number four in the things I love. If you don't know what your doing, you can fuck it or yourself up bad!

Gas Man
02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
It can always be fixed. It just might suck "during". :lmao:

sprink
02-05-2012, 08:53 AM
This is a cool thing you guys do.

I have always done most of the work on my cars and bikes. Started with my first car and a timing chain. It was cheaper for me to miss a day (week) of work than pay to get it fixed. Probably took me 12 hours and roaming the neighborhood at night looking for a similar car to look under the hood to see how the belt driven parts went back on, but with a little help of a neighbor that was outside smoking when I was looking, I got it done. Cars have gotten a little too complicated, and sometimes "time" is a big factor. I can no longer afford to miss work to work on cars.

With the factory service manual and basic tools, I have no trouble working on my bike. I also have friends that can help and believe it on not, the internet is a big help. I own a Sportster, and the XLFORUM is a wealth of information. Yes, you have to be careful and weed out idiots, but usually someone with the correct answers will do that. There are lots of how to threads with detailed pics.

There also was a thread where a guy in Denmark put a big bore kit on his bike and took pictures along the way to make sure he was doing it right. People helped him, found a couple mistakes, reminded him to locktite fasteners, told him where the bolts he had leftover went, etc. He avoided a couple disasters with the help of strangers.

Gas Man
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah I don't put down the internet. Over on BDB forum I did lots of How To's with tons of pics. Every step.

I'm by no means a mechanic, but I can usually get my way through the job. Reference my, as sprink said, factory service manuals and get through the job. Rebuilding my big dog taught me a good deal of things. I have also relied heavy on guys like Al Hall who have done some things many times.

Anybody wanna help me wrap my pipes on the ultra? I have that coming up soon!!

Kosher
02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Well guys, I just changed the flapper on my toilet. Success! (tho not without controversy because the first flapper I put on was defective - back to Home Despot!)

I'm ready to do cams now, LOL

Gas Man
02-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Lol. That's the spirit. "you can do eeet!"

sprink
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Yes, You can do it!

I pulled my heads, jugs and pistons off. I installed cams, new pistons in bored jugs and the ported heads. Had to take a lot of stuff apart to do this, but I organized the parts as I took them off. I paid a lot of attention and only did one thing out of order on the reassembly. I cut an allen wrench shorter so I didn't have to take the exhaust back off to put the footpeg back on, lol. So far and 1500 miles later, all is good!

Gas Man
02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
You should put up pics of your work... make a thread about it.

Kosher
02-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Yes, You can do it!

I pulled my heads, jugs and pistons off. I installed cams, new pistons in bored jugs and the ported heads. Had to take a lot of stuff apart to do this, but I organized the parts as I took them off. I paid a lot of attention and only did one thing out of order on the reassembly. I cut an allen wrench shorter so I didn't have to take the exhaust back off to put the footpeg back on, lol. So far and 1500 miles later, all is good!

I stand in awe of your bravery and skill.

sprink
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
You should put up pics of your work... make a thread about it.

I started one, but didn't really finish it well. http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?2758-sportster-engine-mods

Kosher
02-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Sprink, I noticed you had some work done at Bishops, do you know what's going on with Bill and Amy? http://www.bishopsperformance.com

sprink
02-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Sorry, I do not know.

Gas Man
02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I started one, but didn't really finish it well. http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?2758-sportster-engine-mods

See I forgot about that cause you forgot about us. :lol: