PDA

View Full Version : HD Water Cooled Heads

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Forgot to post this back when

This is what it would take for me to get a new touring bike.... otherwise I'll just keep mine.

The next 3 years are going to be very interesting. How Harley-Davidson, and other brands, are going to adjust to the very stringent US EPA emission regulations to kick in in 2013? A liquid cooled engine? Almost certain.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/2 Wheel Michigan/Articles/harleydavidsonwatercooledheads2.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/2 Wheel Michigan/Articles/harleydavidsonwatercooledheads1.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/2 Wheel Michigan/Articles/harleydavidsonwatercooledheads3.jpg

As you can see on the drawings, a cooling liquid passage runs through the cylinder heads to reduce their operating temperature. The cooling system seems to be made of 2 radiators, fans and hoses hidden within the fairing of a touring model with an electric water pump located at the bottom of the frame. It looks like a very simple simple system, something that Harley-Davidson could put in production very fast. But let’s remember that brands filed multiple patents and don’t use them all, and that this system may be modified if used. One thing for sure. Harley engineers demonstrate in which direction they are going. No ugly radiator hanging in front of the frame. Relief… Enjoy all the drawings.

DK Custom
01-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Interesting. On my Ultra and my Tri-Glide, first thing I did was pull the lower fairing off. lol

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I have pulled the lower fairing before... but I prefer the look of the lower fairings. Plus I like it in the winter and rain riding.

Thruxtonbill
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
rain riding.
What is this rain riding you speak of?

Gas Man
01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
See it's melted snow falling from the sky. It makes you wet...

Ya know it's kinda like riding in the shower. Not so much like taking a bath... but if you get wet enough it sometimes feel like that. :lol:

Mad Dog
01-26-2012, 10:49 AM
What is this rain riding you speak of?

Its what riders do....Sorry had to.......:yes:

detdrbuzzard
05-23-2012, 11:05 AM
with the radiators in the lowers i hope there is some kind of air management to redirect the warm ( warmer ) or you guys will have some very warm legs

Gas Man
05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah no doubt.

I have said and will say again...

It would take some kind of major, significant, and positive change like this for me to get rid of my 2009. Otherwise I love my bike just the way it is!!! It's took me 3 years to get it "just so".

Caveman
05-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah no doubt.

I have said and will say again...

It would take some kind of major, significant, and positive change like this for me to get rid of my 2009. Otherwise I love my bike just the way it is!!! It's took me 3 years to get it "just so".

And yet, I bet you still aren't done powder-coatin shit

Gas Man
05-24-2012, 10:11 PM
I can't think of anything else... well besides the front end...

07ultra
12-31-2012, 04:56 PM
so I wounder if they will put some kind of lowers on all the bikes or if it will be the rad in front like the metrics

Gas Man
12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't mind the lowers look idea... I don't really want the metric rad center look.

junkyardjon
12-31-2012, 07:04 PM
:pwsign: