PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, forgot to tell you

telecast
01-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I got a call from one of my clubs the other day, turns out I took 3rd place in my pistol league. Sweet. I'm not a crappy shooter, but not great either, typically middle of the pack. 3rd was a nice surprise. Sounds like I won a club jacket.

Gas Man
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Congrats man!! :werd:

fatmanracing
01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Nice shootin tex!

Mad Dog
01-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Nice shooting!

Moesride
01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Very Nice! :dthumb:

Bob
03-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Cool deal man! Where do you shoot at again?

sprink
03-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Very nice! I usually am in the middle too. I have a few shooters I use as my par. If I beat so and so, I did alright...

telecast
03-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I shoot the league at Dundee Sportsman's Club.

And I'm not doing so good in the winter league. Shooting lower scores than expected. I've scoring in the high 150's to low 160's, not good enough. Last week was particularly bad at 143, and I'm not sure why. Might be because with winter here I haven't been doing much shooting. I need to get out a couple times a week. Hopefully my scores will pick up and I'll be in better shape for the spring league. I was scoring 180's and 190's when I took third, so this won't cut it. The good news is your three previous week scores combine for your handicap the following week, so if I can go back and get some decent scores these last few weeks could be an advantage.

Mad Dog
03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Here is a link I may have posted before.
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/
I have read this website from top to bottom ant it contains a great deal of solid info. needed to increase your score.
Breathing and trigger control are in my mind the 2 most important areas to focus on when you are learning.
I stopped shooting comp. due to lack of time but I can tell you that when I first started shooting target within 6 months I was shooting 250-260s'.
I shot about 2-3 times a week to reach this point. Its all about practice and consistancy.
The more you practice solid technique the better you will shoot.
The 2 biggest mistakes i made when i started was squeezing the gun too hard and trigger finger placement.
Hold the gun with a commanding grip but not too hard and center the first pad of your index finger evenly over the trigger.
This is a photo of where your hits may be and what causes it.

Hope this helps.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/Web Graphics/TriggerControlTarget.png
I always ended up in the lower left when i started. Still do sometimes....LOL

Gas Man
03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
That's a cool target!!

telecast
03-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I've seen that target a hundred times. Used one to teach my kids to shoot. The thing is I'm not grouping in a particular spot, I'm all over. When I do send one that's way off, I feel it and know it before it hits. Not doing anything consistently wrong in the process, I just can't seem to hold the gun still. It's like the shakiest gun in the west.

I've been holding down on coffee and anything sugary before I go. I shoot after work but before dinner, so I try to put something in my stomach before I go.

No one holds a gun dead still, but this is kind of an inordinate amount of movement. Prettty sure my problem is I just haven't been shooting enough bullseye lately. I've done some 'center mass' shooting and plate shoots. That's fine for self defense, but a 6" plate @ 50' is a lot different than a 7/8" 10 ring @ 50'. Even the 7 ring is only half the size of the plate. So, I think I have a combination of sloppy from the plates and just not enough shooting. Hopefully I'll get it back by the time this league is over and the spring league starts.

The good news in all of this is even though I'm not shooting as well as I was when the last leagues were over, I'm still shooting better than when I started the leagues last year.

Mad Dog
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Are you using a red dot scope?

telecast
03-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah. With my eyes like they are iron sights give me the fits on a pistol. Easy enough to focus on the front sight, not easy to see the target. Interestingly, I was practicing technique at home. I can get about a 35' sight distance clear in my house. I put up a 1/2" stick-on spot and did some dry firing. With the red dot and no recoil it's really easy to see what you're doing when you pull the trigger. I caught myself palming the gun a couple of times, other than that things were really smooth. I'm pretty sure I'm solid up to that point. I know my follow through is good, I force myself to wait until the noise stops before I release the trigger so I can hear the sear engage.

What kind of shooting were you involved in that allowed you to get a score of 260? Were you shooting 10 rds per target? NRA allows 5 or 10 on slow fire bullseye. We shoot 5 rounds X 5 targets, so perfect is 250. 260 is impossible. I'd like to see them go to 10 rounds per target once we get into the rimfire only league, 5 rounds goes by too fast. It takes me longer to drive there than it does to shoot.

Mad Dog
03-05-2012, 10:57 AM
We shoot 3 targets, 10 rounds each for a possible total of 300. 1-Slow, 1-Timed and 1-Rapid fire.
I shot a 278 once but that was when i was really into it and shooting 4-5 times a week.
No time for that now.

telecast
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I spent several weeks hovering in the mid 190's last year, which is what got me 3rd place. I'm a bit dissapointed right now, but then again I can only blame myself for not keeping in shooting shape. The home dry-firing drills seem to be helping, I'm already getting a bit steadier than I was last week. Some of that could've been sugar or caffiene too.

Mad Dog
03-05-2012, 09:35 PM
An old timer at the range told me one day to show up at a shoot just as if you were going anyplace else.
If dinner was normally a burrito and a cup of coffee do the same.
Just keep the same routine/diet/activities and come shoot.

telecast
03-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Can't. I'm usually eating dinner when it's time to go shoot. That's why I grab something before I go.