PDA

View Full Version : Summer Trips

Lrider
01-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Not sure if this is the right area, but here goes. Just wondering what trips some of you might be planning for this summer? For myself after a few days in Sturgis, SD was thinking of the Pacific NW,have never been up that way and have always heard how awesome it is. Some how thinking about these kind of trips helps get me thru winter. Let me hear about yours.

Thruxtonbill
01-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I no longer have a touring bike which is kinda bothering me lately, I to am needing an adventure. The Pac NW is awesome if you've never been, are you thinking Wash St, NorCal, Vancouver? All of those would be great destinations. I've always wanted to do New England, Maine, Vermont and the like (I hear you can get Lobster at endless roadside stands). For now I'm reduced to long weekends to WVa, S/E OH and Deals gap.

Gas Man
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I would love to... I hear the east side of the states has got nothing on the west!!!

Lrider
01-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah a big touring bike with all the bells and whistle's would be the cats ass,but my Dyna with a windshield and bags does a pretty good job, have done some 7 to 800 mi days on her. As far as where, I'm thinking up thru MT, ID into Wash St then maybe down thru OR into nothern CA. After that probably hang a left and head for home thru NV, UT, CO etc. I don't know for sure, if gas hits $5 a gallon this summer like I've heard rumored I might have to rethink things, we'll have to see. But I can always dream, right?

Gas Man
01-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Dreams are great. My dream ride is the. Continental 48 doing all 4 corners in one ride. It's 10k miles and considering rest & tourist days 6-8 weeks. One can dream.

Kosher
01-21-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm Sturgis bound this summer! Also plan a couple other trips in/around Michigan. Might follow my family down to Florida in April

Moesride
01-21-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm Sturgis bound this summer! Also plan a couple other trips in/around Michigan. Might follow my family down to Florida in April I'm more than likely going to be sticking around Michigan as well. West side of state, up the coast.... all that. You fellas sure have some preety good plans a brewin though!

Gas Man
01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
I also want to do a camping trip up to Copper Harbor.

And a "Great American High Five" trip that I have advertised on here before...

sprink
01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
The ride up to Copper Harbor and back from Houghton is nice. The pavement sucked when I was there 2 years ago, but it was beautiful.

Kosher
01-21-2012, 10:30 PM
The ride up to Copper Harbor and back from Houghton is nice. The pavement sucked when I was there 2 years ago, but it was beautiful.

I sure hope they caught the ass hat that was spreading nails around the UP, did you hear about that?

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=672168#.Txt0rDEgejk

Gas Man
01-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Would you do it again sprink?

I remember the nails. I hope they fried his ass.

SportstersPaul
01-22-2012, 04:00 AM
The end of May wil probably be a run to the "Springfield Mile" or another Lake Erie loop. Then June 7th-10th, run to Danbury Conn. for the start of another MotoMarathon, 1600 plus miles over four days of back roads twisties through six states of New England. Haven't decided if I'll stay over there for a week or return home but the 15th-17th we have a Forum Rally in eastern Penn. then its on down to Ormond Beach, Florida for my oldest son's wedding. June may be a 6,000 mile month. I think that's all for June though.

sprink
01-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Would you do it again sprink?

I remember the nails. I hope they fried his ass.

That trip my bike got trailered to Houghton. We combined dropping my son at Mi Tech with a family vacation on Manistique Lake. During orientation, I rode from Houghton to Copper Harbor and back.

Next day I rode (with wife following in the van) down to Ishpeming to take 35 south. That is a great road between Palmer and Gwinn, kinda boring south of there, so back in trailer. I will never do that again, or my wife won't, lol. She seemed to think follow meant keep up......., despite being told I'd be waiting on the side of the road south of Gwinn.

From the cottage we rented I took a ride to Paradise and the falls.

West from Hougton is nice too, I have been there on four wheels. I find most of the UP to be pretty boring, and then there are the speeding tickets, got two in three trips up there.

Yes, I'd go again.

I forget where the nail were happening..........

Gas Man
01-22-2012, 12:37 PM
For me I want to ride up there, camp out for a couple nights. Do some small day trips to sights and such up that area... and then ride back. A long weekend type gig. Do some camp fire drinking and BS'in.

All to often with meet & greets we are doing so many other things, like going to IMS. this way, we could put in some miles, and while camping we could do all the BS'in we wanted. By the time the weekend was over we'd all be best buds or hate each other... but that's half the excitement in not knowing. LOL

Lrider
01-22-2012, 04:02 PM
What's the Great American High Five Ride?

Gas Man
01-22-2012, 05:08 PM
What's the Great American High Five Ride?

http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?2808-Huge-Michigan-Canada-Trip

Kosher
01-22-2012, 06:24 PM
In 7 years, both my kids will be in college. Serious miles are in my future

For me I want to ride up there, camp out for a couple nights. Do some small day trips to sights and such up that area... and then ride back. A long weekend type gig. Do some camp fire drinking and BS'in.

All to often with meet & greets we are doing so many other things, like going to IMS. this way, we could put in some miles, and while camping we could do all the BS'in we wanted. By the time the weekend was over we'd all be best buds or hate each other... but that's half the excitement in not knowing. LOL

Gas Man
01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
And what about the J O B ??

Kosher
01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
And what about the J O B ??

Wifey's turn, lol

sprink
01-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Sounds like fun. Maybe we can figure something out.

Gas Man
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Wifey's turn, lol

Nice... real nice!! You can be like my idol now. :lol:

Sounds like fun. Maybe we can figure something out.

For sure...

Kosher
01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Nice... real nice!! You can be like my idol now. :lol:

I have to sell the concept to wifey first, LOL

Gas Man
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Good luck with that.

It's been good knowing you. :lmao:

Kosher
01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Good luck with that.

It's been good knowing you. :lmao:

I definitely married up: http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Family/Vacations/Saugatuck-20th-anniversary/10320037_GRKNKd#!i=713318557&k=c9EqH

Gas Man
01-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Hell yeah, couple of love birds there....

ChefC14
02-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Here's a link to mine, I'm going to give it it's own thread. Anyone can come along.
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146986

kwats
02-20-2012, 11:42 PM
I did a U.S. perimeter run in 1968 with a new Triumph Bonneville. Ran all the border states, took 3 1/2 months to make it around and used my Butcher Journeyman's card for jobs in Kroger's, Safeway Foods, and a few other chains for travel money. Lotsa good memories there.

Now, I have a bike better suited for that kind of traveling, am retired with adequate income, and a bad case of arthtitis....mother nature can be one sadistic bitch.

DK Custom
02-21-2012, 01:04 AM
I did a U.S. perimeter run in 1968 with a new Triumph Bonneville. Ran all the border states, took 3 1/2 months to make it around and used my Butcher Journeyman's card for jobs in Kroger's, Safeway Foods, and a few other chains for travel money. Lotsa good memories there.

Now, I have a bike better suited for that kind of traveling, am retired with adequate income, and a bad case of arthtitis....mother nature can be one sadistic bitch.

I know you didn't ask for any advice....

My wife's arthritis got so bad about 10 years ago that she wasn't riding near as much with me...she started taking Bromelain and within 6 months arthritis that had been just getting worse and worse for 15+ years was gone.

Gas Man
02-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Man that is awesome. I want to do that ride SO bad. And like you said... its about time and money.

I would LOVE to hear about your ride though... one way or the other.

slove
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
The end of May we are going to Lake Tahoe and are going to rent a Harley and do some riding in the mountains around the Lake.

Gas Man
02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Awesome!!! Be sure to take some pics and share them here.

slove
02-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Will do if I get a camera that works

Gas Man
02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
They're cheap... get somin. We need your pics... :cheers: