PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for two new toys

telecast
12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
The first is a Colt Combat Elite two-tone. None in stock, anywhere. Terry put me on the short list with one of his distributors, so when it comes in they'll send it out. could be two days, could be two months.

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/colt_O8011XSE.jpg

Second one is this safe. I looked high and low, checked every place possible, found this one at Tractor Supply. It was on sale for $600 but they were out, so they gave me a rain check. It comes with the door liner for pistols and accessories, typically about $100 option with other safes. Lifetime warranty INCLUDING repairs if someone tries to get in or if there's a fire. 1/2 hour fire rated @ 1400 degrees, twelve 1-1/4" diameter live bolts, 507lbs.

http://media.tractorsupply.com/is-viewers-4.1/flash/genericzoom.swf?&serverUrl=http://media.tractorsupply.com/is/image/&contentRoot=/skins/&config=TractorSupplyCompany/TSCConfig4&image=TractorSupplyCompany/1043297_set&initialFrame=2

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 08:28 AM
I want a gun safe so bad. Not because I have lots of guns, but I just really want a large scale safe. I'm done screwin around with small safes.

Mad Dog
12-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Tele, thats a real nice handgun!
Great deal on the safe too.:whoop:

telecast
12-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I want a gun safe so bad. Not because I have lots of guns, but I just really want a large scale safe. I'm done screwin around with small safes.

Yeah, that's why I'm getting this one. I only need enough room for about a dozen long guns, the rest will be for handguns, important papers, expensive jewelry, etc. I'll probably get a fire rated lock-box to put in the safe for papers, double the protection. No safe is fire 'proof', just fire rated.

Tele, thats a real nice handgun!
Great deal on the safe too.:whoop:

I was going to settle for the new Ruger SR1911, but they're really difficult to get. Terry has had 4 in and they're all selling as fast as they hit the door. Since he sells to me at special pricing I don't buy anything until it's readily available, he needs to make his money. I've wanted another Colt since I sold my Commander about 10 years ago, so I figured I'd just spend the extra couple hundred bucks. If we don't see it for a couple months I'll go another route. Don't know why Colt makes it so hard to get their guns.

I looked everywhere for a safe. Dick's, MC Sports, Dunham's, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Walmart, Home Depot, Menard's, Lowes, Sears, and a bunch of online safe websites. This was by far the best bang for the buck. Even at the regular pric of $700 there's nothing better in it's class. The twelve 1-1/4" live bolts were a major selling point. Most have 4 or 5 live bolts and a couple of deadbolts on the hinge side, and they're only 1".

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Good call on the hand held fire box in the safe.

Where you puttin the safe? Garage, basement, bedroom? I always think of that. I don't think I could get it in my house easily.

telecast
12-29-2011, 09:57 AM
In a spare room on the first floor. I've located an appliance truck to borrow, but I'm going to need 3 or 4 guys too. We have to get it up four steps outside, then it needs to be moved through two rooms and placed. I have limited choices as to location, it has to be on an ouside wall for support. I'm guessing 700lbs once it's full. I was thinking about the basement, but doubt the stairs would support it.

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 10:00 AM
yeah I didn't think about the weight once it's in the house. Do you worry about anchoring it? I think I would just have to make room in the garage for it. Then maybe try to anchor it to the wall behind it. Is it setup for anchoring?

telecast
12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Most safes come with concrete anchors and screws. There are a couple of holes in the floor of the safe for the bolts. If you put it on a wood floor you can use lag bolts.

If it was a lighter safe that two guys could lift and carry, like 2-300 lbs, I'd anchor it. At 500 lbs empty I'm not going to worry about it.

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Ok I get that, but what if it was in a garage? Think theif and truck...

telecast
12-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Then anchor it. A 500 lb safe with another 200 lbs in it would take 3 thieves just to get it on a two wheel dolly, and unless there were 4 or 5 of them they'd need a lift gate on the truck. Unless one of them is AHNOLD! Use the concrete anchors though, a 2 x 4 stud wall isn't enough.

It'd be easier for them to steal your bike, at least it rolls!

Remember, the first break in isn't a problem. Once they know you have a safe and come back, THAT'S the problem. One of the reasons I went with this one, it'd be almost impossible to get through enough of those 1-1/4" live bolts to get it open.

Of course, like anything else, if someone REALLY wants something they'll get it. This is just a deterrent. Odds are they won't have the time, the tools, or the manpower to make it worthwhile. It's easier for them to go to the neighbor's house.

Mad Dog
12-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Take the door off when you move it. It probably weighs 200lbs itself.

telecast
12-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Funny you should mention that....

Reading the reviews, one guy says to remove the door, I guess it just hangs on the pins. The very next review says Winchester doesn't recommend removing the door.

I'll probably remove it anyway. :didntdo:

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Good points Tele.

junkyardjon
12-31-2011, 09:26 PM
i think i found my next tool box !!!!

telecast
01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Safe came in, I declined it on this load. They told me it wouldn't be in until next week and I'm not ready for it. Have to pick up a heavy duty appliance dolly and get people lined up. They said more next week, so I'll get it on the next run.

Found this video, never thought this would be as easy as it looks. I'd pull the tailgate though, save a few inches in height and about 18" worth of sliding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sNd07PHDTDY

junkyardjon
01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
just watch so it don't smash into the bumper..
i have a roll back wrecker for this kind of work LOL

telecast
01-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Picked up the safe Saturday, put it in place yesterday. Really nice safe. Thanks to Dirty for some added muscle. Four of us was perfect. Probably could've done it with three, but it would've been a bitch.

telecast
01-15-2012, 08:13 AM
I gotta say, I feel so much better having our stuff in this safe. After getting all the guns in, there's plenty of room for everything else. All of my purchase and sale permits, all of my ammo, about 4,000 rounds combined, and most of our important papers are in it. We still need to collect some more papers from around the house, but there's plenty of untapped space. I can easily get another 4 long guns, another dozen handguns, double the ammo, etc. Most of the pockets on the door are still empty.

While it's spec'ed as a 24-gun safe, you'd be hard pressed to get 24 long guns in it. From what I've seen that's pretty common. I was originally looking for a 14-gun safe but everyone said to buy one bigger than you need. Good advice. I have it set up for 12 long guns on one side and shelving on the other. The reality will be about 10 long guns, but that's plenty for me.

If you have guns and don't have a safe, get one. For the price of one decent gun you can gain a lot of peace-of-mind.

Gas Man
01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I want one but damn.. I have no where to put it.

Mad Dog
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Did you end up taking the door off?

telecast
01-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Nope. I was surprised how easy it was to move around. Two guys can walk it into place pretty easily, one guy can tip it over. I ended up bolting it down to the floor.

Gas Man
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Still put it on an outside wall? That is my big hitch.

telecast
01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but you gottta understand my house was built in 1873, so there's no real main beam, it's built-up. If you have a wall that's supported by a main beam a center wall in the house would be fine.

Gas Man
01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
True. I have a steel beam running thru the middle of my house.

telecast
03-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Soo....

12 weeks later and I'm still waiting for the Colt. Terry has it ordered through 3 distributors. I've tossed around different ideas, like going with a Kimber or Springfield, but have decided I'd rather wait on the Colt. In the meantime the pin and plate shoots at my club are going full tilt, so I might get something cheap to hold me over, then sell it after the Colt comes, or if I fall in love with it then maybe it will stay.

Some guns are getting hard to come by. Not sure what the deal is, other than people are buying them up like crazy. In this case, not only do Colts sell like hotcakces, but they run different models in batches. They're probably not producing them right now.