PDA

View Full Version : purchase from private owner

junkyardjon
12-26-2011, 10:49 PM
what would one need in order to purchase a pistol for a private seller? as in paper work and such?

Kosher
12-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Here's some info I found: http://www.detroitccw.com/how_to_buy_a_handgun_in_michigan.html, does this help?

junkyardjon
12-26-2011, 11:19 PM
i like this part LOL. yeah i'll have someone with me just for this reason.

"This section would not be complete without at least mentioning that there may be some element of risk for the buyer when buying a gun from private seller. Just keep in mind that the buyer may be doing business with a complete stranger who the buyer already knows will be in his presence with at least one gun - presumably the one he's selling - and the seller knows that the buyer will have a lot of cash. Thus, common sense should be the order of the day. The buyer should meet the seller in a public and well populated locale like a firing range."

sprink
12-27-2011, 12:06 AM
i like this part LOL. yeah i'll have someone with me just for this reason.

"This section would not be complete without at least mentioning that there may be some element of risk for the buyer when buying a gun from private seller. Just keep in mind that the buyer may be doing business with a complete stranger who the buyer already knows will be in his presence with at least one gun - presumably the one he's selling - and the seller knows that the buyer will have a lot of cash. Thus, common sense should be the order of the day. The buyer should meet the seller in a public and well populated locale like a firing range."

Wonder why craigslist doesn't allow firearms sales. Not like anyone ever got robbed over sunglasses...oh wait....lol

alhall88
12-28-2011, 08:54 AM
In michigan its a little expensive if you want to be clear.Usually if you are local both of you go to a gunshop or to someone that has a FFL, then the seller transfers the gun to the gunshop or person with FFL, ($25 fee in my neighborhood) then he or the shop transfers it to you for another fee. I trade and buy online all the time and have them shipped to my local guy and I pick them up for a $25 transfer fee if I'm just buying. Forgot to mention unless you have a CPL you must obtain a purchase permit that some gun shops can get you but its much faster to get them from your sheriff county office for $5 and they are good for 10 days.

telecast
12-29-2011, 08:30 AM
In michigan its a little expensive if you want to be clear.Usually if you are local both of you go to a gunshop or to someone that has a FFL, then the seller transfers the gun to the gunshop or person with FFL, ($25 fee in my neighborhood) then he or the shop transfers it to you for another fee.

Negative ghostrider. The only time you need to transfer it to another dealer is if it's coming from out of state. Purchasing a gun from a private individual when both are michigan residents is no different than purchasing from a dealer.

1. Go to your local PD or Sheriff, depending on where you live. Get a purchase permit. You will need a valid driver's license or State ID. (Note: There's a test, and you need to get 70% correct. You can probably find a copy of it online to study)
2. Within 10 days, meet the buyer. Fill out and sign all 4 copies of the permit. (Note: Your signature needs to be notarized. Most PD's will do it, just sign in front of them when you get the permit.)
3. Pay him, get the gun.
4. He keeps one copy of the permit, you keep one copy, and the remaining two copies go back to the PD, again, within 10 days. They keep one, and send one to the State Police.
5. Keep your copy of the permit on you whenever the gun is out of the house for the first 30 days. After that it will be in the system and you don't have to carry it.

That's it.

telecast
12-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Here's the test, easy enough to find. Most of the questions are stupid simple, but there are a couple of trick questions. All are True or False. I've highlighted the tricky ones in red and provided the answer.

You should treat every pistol as if it were loaded. (True or False)
You should always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction. (True or False)
You should never put your finger on the trigger until ready to fire at a proper target. (True or False)
When passing or receiving a pistol to or from another person, the action should be open and the pistol visually checked to make sure it is not loaded. (True or False)
It is illegal to sell a pistol to a person under 18 years of age. (True or False)
The law requires a person to report the theft of his or her pistol to police within one year. (True or False) FALSE! You must report it immediately. Most people get this wrong because 'immediately' falls within a year
A person is permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. (True or False)
When storing a pistol, for safety reasons the ammunition should never be stored separately from the pistol. (True or False)
The law requires that when presenting a pistol to police for a safety inspection, the pistol is unloaded and encased or equipped with a trigger locking mechanism. (True or False)
When storing a pistol it should be unloaded and placed in a safe place out of the reach of children. (True or False)
Possession of a pistol while under the influence of alcohol is unlawful. (True or False)
A person can be held criminally and civilly liable for wrongfully pointing or discharging a pistol at another person. (True or False)
The first step to cleaning a pistol is to make sure it is unloaded. (True or False)
Dropping a loaded pistol will never cause an accidental discharge if the safety is on. (True or False) FALSE! Guns are mechanical, mechanics can fail. A lot of people think the safety is the do all-end all and completely disarms the gun.

Bullets fired at flat surfaces will never glance off in an unpredictable direction. (True or False)

Moesride
12-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Negative ghostrider. The only time you need to transfer it to another dealer is if it's coming from out of state. Purchasing a gun from a private individual when both are michigan residents is no different than purchasing from a dealer.

1. Go to your local PD or Sheriff, depending on where you live. Get a purchase permit. You will need a valid driver's license or State ID. (Note: There's a 10 question test, and you need to get 7 correct. You can probably find a copy of it online to study)
2. Within 10 days, meet the buyer. Fill out and sign all 4 copies of the permit. (Note: Your signature needs to be notarized. Most PD's will do it, just sign in front of them when you get the permit.)
3. Pay him, get the gun.
4. He keeps one copy of the permit, you keep one copy, and the remaining two copies go back to the PD, again, within 10 days. They keep one, and send one to the State Police.
5. Keep your copy of the permit on you whenever the gun is out of the house for the first 30 days. After that it will be in the system and you don't have to carry it.

That's it. Yup, your right on. I did meet someone off craigslist in a public place to do a trade, my 357 for his Trailer. Paperwork went just as Telecast said.

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
One thing I believe Tele left out. I don't believe I need a purchase permit if I have a CWP, even for private sale.

telecast
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Correct, but we're assuming that if John had a CPL he wouldn't be asking.

A couple of other things. You will have NO WAY to know if the gun was stolen until you take the permit back to the PD and they run it. Get the seller's name, address, phone, etc. Try to meet him at the PD if you can. If it doesn't feel right, pass.

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Good call on the stolen aspect!!!!!!!

alhall88
12-29-2011, 06:58 PM
like I said if you want to be sure the gun your getting is clear, ask your own boys at magnum and tell you the same

junkyardjon
12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
nope, don't have a cpl YET. i really need to stop dicking the dog and just get it done.

Gas Man
12-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Doooo eeeeeetttttt

telecast
12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
like I said if you want to be sure the gun your getting is clear, ask your own boys at magnum and tell you the same

Ok, now I understand what you meant by: "In michigan its a little expensive if you want to be clear."

I'll ask Terry next time I see him, but I'm pretty sure gun shops can't run checks on the guns. They're not even capable of accessing the system. They only accept guns from distributors, dealers, or if it's used then the person selling/trading it in MUST have a copy of their permit or the purchase record if they have a CPL, or a driver's license. The shop takes down the info, if the gun comes back stolen at a later date they know who to go back to.

Which I should have thought of yesterday. The best way to know you're getting a 'clear' gun is to tell the seller you need to see his copy of the permit from when he bought it. If he has one, you're good to go. If he has a CPL there won't be a permit, but there will be a record of transfer. Short of that, get his driver's license info.

There's nothing wrong with transferring it through a shop if you want to, but you're spending money needlessly. I've bought and sold many guns locally and never had a problem because I cover my ass by getting the proper info.

alhall88
12-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Yep thats what I meant, in fact Terry is the one that did my first couple transactions, and he told me about the recommended transfer process for in state transactions. But like you I no longer do it that way after making so many transactions

junkyardjon
12-31-2011, 11:08 AM
all good info for sure. i'm looking around for some place local for the class right now.

Mudpuppy
01-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Here's the test, easy enough to find. Most of the questions are stupid simple, but there are a couple of trick questions. All are True or False. I've highlighted the tricky ones in red and provided the answer.

You should treat every pistol as if it were loaded. (True or False)
You should always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction. (True or False)
You should never put your finger on the trigger until ready to fire at a proper target. (True or False)
When passing or receiving a pistol to or from another person, the action should be open and the pistol visually checked to make sure it is not loaded. (True or False)
It is illegal to sell a pistol to a person under 18 years of age. (True or False)
The law requires a person to report the theft of his or her pistol to police within one year. (True or False) FALSE! You must report it immediately. Most people get this wrong because 'immediately' falls within a year
A person is permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. (True or False)
When storing a pistol, for safety reasons the ammunition should never be stored separately from the pistol. (True or False)
The law requires that when presenting a pistol to police for a safety inspection, the pistol is unloaded and encased or equipped with a trigger locking mechanism. (True or False)
When storing a pistol it should be unloaded and placed in a safe place out of the reach of children. (True or False)
Possession of a pistol while under the influence of alcohol is unlawful. (True or False)
A person can be held criminally and civilly liable for wrongfully pointing or discharging a pistol at another person. (True or False)
The first step to cleaning a pistol is to make sure it is unloaded. (True or False)
Dropping a loaded pistol will never cause an accidental discharge if the safety is on. (True or False) FALSE! Guns are mechanical, mechanics can fail. A lot of people think the safety is the do all-end all and completely disarms the gun.

Bullets fired at flat surfaces will never glance off in an unpredictable direction. (True or False)

you forgot:

16. It is ok to rob your crack dealer with your pistol (True or False)
17. If the wife won't give it up it is ok to pistol whip her into unconsciousness and then have your way with her (True or False)
18. A gun is a great gift for younger kids and they should be encouraged to take to school for show and tell (True or False)
19. Guys with large calibers are compensating for lack of something else (True or False)
20. A .45 is a good tool to open your beer bottle with (True or False)
21. If your neighbor pisses you off you can fire a warning shot or two (True or False)

Also doesn't purchase permit and requirements vary by each city or township?

telecast
01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
you forgot:

16. It is ok to rob your crack dealer with your pistol (True or False)
17. If the wife won't give it up it is ok to pistol whip her into unconsciousness and then have your way with her (True or False)
18. A gun is a great gift for younger kids and they should be encouraged to take to school for show and tell (True or False)
19. Guys with large calibers are compensating for lack of something else (True or False)
20. A .45 is a good tool to open your beer bottle with (True or False)
21. If your neighbor pisses you off you can fire a warning shot or two (True or False)

Also doesn't purchase permit and requirements vary by each city or township?

16. True
17. True
18. True
19. This is actually a multiple choice. The answer is 'D', somtimes, but only if they don't also own a .22
20. True, unlike a crappy polymer 9mm. It's also a good tool for competitive shooting, target practice, carrying, and taking out bad guys.
21. False, Always shoot to kill

And no, purchase permit requirements are set by state law. The only thing that varies is when you can get one, some have certain hours or days, and how much it costs. In my town the first one you get each year is free, and you can pick up a permit M-F from 7 am to 3:30 pm.