PDA

View Full Version : Earphones??

Moesride
12-17-2011, 09:56 AM
I was just curious if anyone here rides with earphones that go into a mp3 or ?,.. I don't think Mich. has a Law against it ( but i'm not 100% sure). I've never owned a pair. Been toosing the idea of buying a Good set ..any suggestions? Mainly for longer highway trips. Now, I do realize that there's a ton of opinions and safety issues that go into wearing earphones. I'm just talking about a little music volumed low enough so you can maintain your wits of who and what's around you while riding. Might help buffer some of the wind noise as well?

sprink
12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I've been kicking this around too. I had earbuds that worked pretty well as plugs to block wind noise and then add music. They were really hard to get in ears and into helmet. They also got uncomfortable after a couple hours.

Now I am looking at mounting headphone "speakers" in the helmet. Might have to add a small amp to boost mp3 output.

Gas Man
12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
There are lots of options. A trip to best buy will show u that. With all the kids and their mp3 players its become popular.

U can do dr dre to skullcandy and a few others.

Moesride
12-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I've been kicking this around too. I had earbuds that worked pretty well as plugs to block wind noise and then add music. They were really hard to get in ears and into helmet. They also got uncomfortable after a couple hours.

Now I am looking at mounting headphone "speakers" in the helmet. Might have to add a small amp to boost mp3 output. I wear a half helmet so the earphones shouldn't be a problem with the helmet. I think your right with them getting uncomfortable after a while. But I would really like to add some wind block with a little music. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking something like this from Westone. They seem to fit right in the ear.

Moesride
12-17-2011, 02:11 PM
There are lots of options. A trip to best buy will show u that. With all the kids and their mp3 players its become popular.

U can do dr dre to skullcandy and a few others. I was thinking more of a bike specific earphone. Something that was designed to stay in your ear better. Didn't think of Best Buy. Thats a good idea, Thanks. I can at least try a few on and compare before I buy anything.

Gas Man
12-17-2011, 05:37 PM
And at the ims show there will probably be that mold in your ear vendor.

RedneckMedic
12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
I just use the skull candy 25 dollar ear buds. They are soft rubber so they don't hurt even after a few hours of riding and since they go farther in your ear they stay in well and haven't had a problem except for the occasional snag on a jacket with the wind blowing. I wear a half helmet all the time and can hear very well even with the volume low. Even with the volume of they definitely block out most of the wind noise which I think tends to hurt my ears more after prolonged riding than with my ear buds turned up. And when I'm in a lot of traffic or neighborhoods when I feel I still should hear noises around me I only keep one in my ear which helps if your tiding with some so you can still talk if need be.

Gas Man
12-17-2011, 05:48 PM
This is true. I have seen this done by him. And I use to have no problems hearing things. You would be surprised how much wind noise covers up sounds. Take that away and you can still hear traffic noises just as well.

Gas Man
12-18-2011, 12:58 PM
There are tons of them at BB.com

Look at noise cancelling and sound isolation (not sure the real difference other than label)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Headphones/In-Ear-Headphones/pcmcat143000050007.c?id=pcmcat143000050007

Moesride
12-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info Rug and the link to BB.com Chris. Theres just a shit load of options on the BB site :idk: what the f...k to get. What I don't want is an earphone flying out of my ear on the highway because they dont fit right. I think waiting for the IMS was a goog idea.. Should be a vender or two that deals with this stuff, perhaps more bike specific. Thanks again Fellas!

Gas Man
12-18-2011, 04:38 PM
For sure man. I will suggest u go to bb and check em out. Get an idea of pricing. You can always go bk thr after ims but not the other way arnd. Then when at ims you'll know if they are a good deal.

Nobody
12-19-2011, 01:36 AM
I prefer to use foam ear plugs to kill the sharper parts of wind noise so I can listen to my bike talking, rather than music.

However I can recommend Skull Candy, the skirting that fits in the ear is a nice silicone rubber, most come with 3 sizes to change out so you can get a good fit for your ear holes. thin speakers or pezio electric speakers in the helm might be a over all good choice since it wont blunt external sounds as dramatically.

their "Ink'd" line is nice, about 10-16$ depending on where you go/bargin hunt. The "Smokin' Buds" have an inline volume slider, but I had some issues with the over all feel of them & the slider catching and popping them out. But your mileage may vary, these run about 20ish$

Gas Man
12-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Also consider with anything with inline anything. It may encounter weather with wet riding.

Mad Dog
12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I have an older version of these and really like them. Great sound and really cuts the road noise.
I can listen to music at pretty low levels and still hear it well.
They will stay in your ear with no problems.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/120822641460?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Moesride
12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks alot for all the info fellas. Iv'e looked at the skull candy Nobody and there preety nice. The Shure look like an awesome earphone Don. Youv'e been happy with them I see. I like them. As of now it's been between skull candy. shure or westone brands. After the IMS I'll decide. Thanks guys, really Appriciate it. :dthumb:

junkyardjon
12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
i just talk to the voices in my head when i ride. it really seems to calm them

Kosher
12-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Here's an article showing how to make your own in-ear monitors: http://www.howtogeek.com/57481/how-to-make-custom-silicone-ear-molds-for-your-in-ear-monitors/

(http://www.howtogeek.com/57481/how-to-make-custom-silicone-ear-molds-for-your-in-ear-monitors/)

Moesride
12-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info Kosher. Nice do it yourselfer article. As nice as it looks I dont think I would have the patience to do it. Actually I was going to wait for the IMS show to see what they had to offer but my wife caught wind of my interest in some riding earphones ,so she just handed me a gift for christmas that had a pair of Westone earphones in them. Preety cool pair that I think are gonna work great. She completely took me by surprise :whoop:

Kosher
12-24-2011, 10:45 PM
http://fit-ear.com usually exhibits at the IMS, they do custom molded ear plugs at the show, I picked up a set last year for $65 and they are perfect.

Their ear phones are hellishly expensive, tho, cheapest is $575: http://www.howtogeek.com/57481/how-to-make-custom-silicone-ear-molds-for-your-in-ear-monitors/

Thanks for the info Kosher. Nice do it yourselfer article. As nice as it looks I dont think I would have the patience to do it. Actually I was going to wait for the IMS show to see what they had to offer but my wife caught wind of my interest in some riding earphones ,so she just handed me a gift for christmas that had a pair of Westone earphones in them. Preety cool pair that I think are gonna work great. She completely took me by surprise :whoop:

Gas Man
12-25-2011, 01:00 AM
$575. For that price it should come with a hooker to blow me while her lesbo friend molds my headphones in my ear. Daymn!!

Moesride
12-25-2011, 01:34 AM
$575. For that price it should come with a hooker to blow me while her lesbo friend molds my headphones in my ear. Daymn!! :lmao: No Kiddin! I think my wife paid around $110 for the westones she just gave me and personally I think thats alot!!

Gas Man
12-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention. The chick doing the ear molds better have fantastic hooters that she accidentally keeps smashing in my face.

Moesride
12-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention. The chick doing the ear molds better have fantastic hooters that she accidentally keeps smashing in my face. Well, I can't think of a better way to be sportin a Black eye!

Mad Dog
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Where can I get fitted????
Don't need any but it might be worth the ride!

Oh and I forgot to mention. The chick doing the ear molds better have fantastic hooters that she accidentally keeps smashing in my face.

Gas Man
12-25-2011, 12:04 PM
The line starts directly after me! :whoop: