PDA

View Full Version : Skull Crush Carbon Fiber Helmet

Gas Man
12-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I like the 3/4 helmets. A different and modern interpretation to the flake paint.

Made in the USA by hand, on order, unlike novelty helmets made in China on an assembly line, they are made of a 50/50 blend of Carbon Fiber and Kevlar 29 (ballistic quality) with woven and mat fiberglass. The resin is a high strength vinylester which combined with the material at an exact resin to fiber ratio making the helmet incredibly strong.

Liner is made of a material called Ensolite, an energy absorbing foam originally developed by NASA to protect pressure vessels from damage. It has virtually 100% memory and is waterproof. This foam is much more impact resistant compared to the common foam liners used in most helmets. The shell is one size fits all. Your helmet will include three sets of sizing pads of different thickness to create the perfect custom fit just for you. For a strap connection, you have a choice of either steel D-Rings or a Military Spec Quick Disconnect. Paint finish is of a high-end automotive quality. Skull Crush Gear (http://www.skullcrushgear.com/).

Bagger Dave
12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
I was looking at their website:dthumb: might have to try the halfy or german lid :phat:
They also have a FB page too!

Bagger Dave
12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Gas!:dthumb: nice find!

Bagger Dave
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I was looking at their website:dthumb: might have to try the halfy or german lid :phat:
They also have a FB page too!

https://www.facebook.com/skullcrushgear

Gas Man
12-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Sweet!!

I just wish there was a way to try them on.

Moesride
12-08-2011, 10:00 PM
https://www.facebook.com/skullcrushgear I had been looking for a helmet on and off for a few months now. I know alot of people frown upon novelty helmets, but it's what I wear 80 % of the time. The one I have now is kinda shitty. As Dave said,This is a good find Gas. Seems very well built as far as a non Dot goes, I just ordered the Skull Crush Beanie in Black candy carbon Fiber/ Kevlar. IMO,sweet!

Gas Man
12-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Moe, take some pics and let us know about it when you get it in. I'm interested in what you think of it.

Moesride
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
You Bet Chris. I will. ETA 4 weeks or less.

Gas Man
12-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Cool

Bagger Dave
12-09-2011, 11:09 PM
I had been looking for a helmet on and off for a few months now. I know alot of people frown upon novelty helmets, but it's what I wear 80 % of the time. The one I have now is kinda shitty. As Dave said,This is a good find Gas. Seems very well built as far as a non Dot goes, I just ordered the Skull Crush Beanie in Black candy carbon Fiber/ Kevlar. IMO,sweet!

Cool Moe!! :dthumb: yeah let me know also...I am thinking of buying one also...:rockwoot:

Moe, take some pics and let us know about it when you get it in. I'm interested in what you think of it.

yep yep X2!

Moesride
12-09-2011, 11:36 PM
As soon as I get it in, i'll give you my thoughs on it Dave. I'll take some pics wearing it as well so you guys get an Idea on how it fits. :cheers:

Bagger Dave
12-09-2011, 11:42 PM
As soon as I get it in, i'll give you my thoughs on it Dave. I'll take some pics wearing it as well so you guys get an Idea on how it fits. :cheers:

Cool Moe!! Thanks bro! :cheers:

Gas Man
12-11-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm beginning to like this moe guy.

Kosher
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I have one, pretty expensive for a novelty, but very nicely constructed.

Bagger Dave
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
I have one, pretty expensive for a novelty, but very nicely constructed.

lets see some pics Moe! If I get one...I will get the the DOT one :dthumb:

Kosher
12-19-2011, 08:12 PM
lets see some pics Moe! If I get one...I will get the the DOT one :dthumb:

LOL - http://retrobikegear.com/replacement-vinyl-dot-decal-sticker1.html

Moesride
12-19-2011, 09:22 PM
lets see some pics Moe! If I get one...I will get the the DOT one :dthumb: Sorry Dave. I'm still waiting on mine to come in. Couple more weeks I think. Kosher said he has one. Maybe he wouldn't mind posting a pic or two so we can take a look.

Moesride
12-19-2011, 09:30 PM
I have one, pretty expensive for a novelty, but very nicely constructed. Hey Kosher. Nice bike by the way. Looks great! Maybe you can show a couple pics of your Lid. Ordered one but don't have it yet.I'm curious to see what it looks like on. :cheers:

Gas Man
12-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Love the funny DOT sticker.

Moesride
12-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Al at A.M. Leather in Romulus sells a buch of crazy off the wall stickers, included the infamous DOT.

Gas Man
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Yeah that's up his alley.

Kosher
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Hey Kosher. Nice bike by the way. Looks great! Maybe you can show a couple pics of your Lid. Ordered one but don't have it yet.I'm curious to see what it looks like on. :cheers:

Oh jeez, sure here's my ugly mug, avert your eyes, lol. You'll likely have to trim the strap, I did that after I took the shots.

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff-Bucket/i-vDn8qRm/0/M/helmet2-M.jpg

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff-Bucket/i-zKDwhhS/0/M/helmet1-M.jpg

Moesride
12-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks for sharing Kosher. Gives me a better idea of what to expect. I like it man. Looks like the polo style lid. Fittment on it looks really nice. Ugly Mug.....Funny shit! :lmao:

Gas Man
12-20-2011, 12:29 PM
So those aren't dot at all. Not enough padding or anything.

Moesride
12-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Well my Helmet arrived from Skull Crush yesterday and I do have to say that I am very happy with the way it looks and the way it's constructed. Now keeping in mind that I'm usually wearing a novelty helmet the Skull Crush to me feels like a DOT approved lid. It's solid,light weight, really good padding on the inside and very comfortable along with being low pro. I think this lid would take a preety good impact ( not that I want to be a crash dummy candidate). So... all in all if you choose to wear a non dot and want the closest thing to it, this is it. This lid gets an A from me and it's gonna (help) keep my noggin in one piece as compared to what I have now. One thing I did screw up on was the color. I ordered the Candy Black and it was just a little to dark, I thought it might be lighter. I called Skull Crush today and they said to go ahead and return it for any other color I wanted. Felt like an asshole doing this but he was really cool and insisted on it not being a problem so it's packed and ready to ship back. Great Company!! Here's a few pics of the novelty and the Skull Crush side by side as a comparison. ( my daughter volunteered as the lid model)

Gas Man
12-28-2011, 09:37 PM
They look similar.

Moesride
12-28-2011, 10:02 PM
They are preety similar Chris. The Skull Crush is just a bit thicher. Has more padding for sure, but not a hell of alot. I think the biggest difference between the two is what there made of. The novelty you can basically press together with your hands and soft as hell, might as well be wearing a baseball cap. The carbon/kevlar you cannot press on in any direction. It has a surprisingly strong shell. I think it's just a novelty type helmet on steroids. I would only recomend this for guys that like a step above novelty and a step below a small dot. But hey, thats what I like. Not for everyone for sure.