PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Riding & Leather

TheReaper!
11-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Since I live in the mid west , S.E. Michigan to be exact , we have a rather short riding season . To extend the season I bought a Tmax basically for cooler weather . Then last week I decided to try out a pair of leather chaps , I found this pair on the Leather-up site . http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-Chaps--pants/Best-Seller-Mens-Premium-Motorcycle-Easy-Fit-Chaps-with-Zipper-On-Thigh/41237.html (http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-Chaps--pants/Best-Seller-Mens-Premium-Motorcycle-Easy-Fit-Chaps-with-Zipper-On-Thigh/41237.html)
They said it was their best seller and had all kinds of favorable reviews . So I thought WTF for less than $80 shipped why not give them a try . It only took a few days to get them , and luckily they were a perfect fit . That in itself was nice because I hate the hassles of shipping stuff back and forth . Today it was sunny and in the mid 50's , so I took the Big Ruckus which has no protection at all from the wind and the elements . I got the BR up to near 70mph and I have to tell you I was impressed with these chaps . Instead of my legs losing heat , the chaps were so warm my legs felt like they were building heat .
Normally I'm not very happy trying out new bike stuff , but the chaps are a 100% satisfaction purchase . If you ride in cold weather and have never tried a pair, give them a shot . They are kind of a PIA to put on with all the snaps and zippers , but it's worth the trouble .
TheReaper!

junkyardjon
11-06-2011, 07:21 PM
the only problem i have with chaps is when it's in the 30's. my balls get real cold real fast.

sprink
11-06-2011, 07:41 PM
the only problem i have with chaps is when it's in the 30's. my balls get real cold real fast.

Actually had to pull off US 23 one day. My friend notices my turn signal is F'd up and asks about it, I had to tell him no, "my junk is frozen". Always good for a laugh.

TheReaper!
11-06-2011, 08:23 PM

So what do you wear when it gets that cold ? I was out for about an hour today and had no problem with the chaps , but it wasn't any where near 30 .

TheReaper!

Gas Man
11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Nice chaps, but I prefer the zipper all the way down. Or did it have that too?

And WOW did this thread take a turn... talking about dudes junk. :lmao:

TheReaper!
11-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Nice chaps, but I prefer the zipper all the way down. Or did it have that too?

And WOW did this thread take a turn... talking about dudes junk. :lmao:

No the zipper ends at the snaps , they are a bit of a PIA to put on but it's not some thing I have to do every day so WTF .
For less than $80 I'm happy with them , now I can ride a few more weeks at the end of the season and start a few weeks earlier hopefully .
I like these so much , I'm thinking about ordering a pair of the leather pants now . Don't want to freeze the schnitzel on a 30 degree day LOL .

TheReaper!

Gas Man
11-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Save the junk!!! :rofl:

SportstersPaul
11-08-2011, 01:31 AM
With a good "wind blocking" top layer and appropriate layering underneath you would be surprised at the temps you can ride at! Hell, the snowmobile's do it so why not us? I have found that about -20 is it for me cause the bike starts REALLY hard!!!

TheReaper!
11-08-2011, 01:57 AM
I've always been a fair weather rider , simply because I didn't know better . Next on the list is some heated stuff .
By the way I've been riding nearly every day and it's the 8th of November already , tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 60's
maybe I'll see one or two of you out there tomorrow ? :rockwoot:

TheReaper!

Mad Dog
11-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I wear these jeans.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/fleece-lined-work-jeans-86127.aspx
Put some chaps over them and watch out for the ice.......