PDA

View Full Version : Putting it away

telecast
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Last ride of the season for me yesterday. 12 bikes rode to Bridgewater for lunch, then took the long way home through Manchester, out toward Grass Lake, up through Chelsea and back along North Territorial to Dixboro Road, then south to home. Not a long ride, about 100 miles, but it was just about right with the temperature and short daylight.

First time I'd ridden Sharon Valley and Sharon Hollow Roads, very pretty area, lots of rolling hills, farms and woods. Still a bit of color, although 2 weeks ago would've been perfect.

Done for the year. I hardly had time to do any riding this season, logged very few miles. Didn't ride as much as I wanted to last year either. Not sure if it's worth keeping the bike around or not. I'll give it one more season, if it goes like this year did I'm going to give up.

Gas Man
11-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I hear ya but I just love riding too much. I did about half my miles this year as to last year. I will do about 4500'ish miles this year where as last year I did 10k. However, I know why, it's because I've been working 6-8 days a week. yes I said 8 days... you would too if you worked 70-80hrs a week around the clock (on call 24/7).

But Tim, perhaps you should join me & caveman on a few road trips. I tell ya, after you get into the grove on those, they are EVERYTHING and the miles I clock around here are just gap fillers till the next big trip. It's an easy way to put on 1500-2000 miles over a long weekend.

Anyway, I put the nightster away yesterday... seafoam and topped off the gas, oil change, general maintance, tire psi check, fogged the intake, pulled spark plugs to check gap and fog the cyclinders. Cleaned it up and rolled it into the corner.

I will leave the Ultra out and log a few more miles.

Dagnabit
11-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I did around 2k miles this summer, but i didnt pick my bike up until the end of June. If you enjoy riding Telcast, I wouldnt sell it. When the weather gets nice, your going to regret it. For me, i work a ton, and then i have family stuff with kids going on in my free time. The bike is my get away toy. Its a perfect stress reliever. I get home from work, take the bike out for a bit, stop somewhere and have a good cigar or cup of coffee and it helps me unwind. Once or twice a week i go out with a couple friends and we hit a few bars or we take a day trip out somewhere. I dont put a lot of miles on mine either, but I have a good time when im out and thats good enough for me.

Anyhow, weather is beautiful today and im going to break mine out of the garage and go somewhere. I figure we have a few more good days this month before i have to put her away for the winter.

telecast
11-06-2011, 01:13 PM
If you enjoy riding Telcast, I wouldnt sell it. When the weather gets nice, your going to regret it.

What difference does it make if I wish I had a bike, or I wish I had time to ride the one setting in the garage? Either way I don't ride. Better to not have one than to spend money on payments and insurance and not use it.

Chris300s
11-06-2011, 02:38 PM
I hope you don't Tele. I went 3 years without one and missed it every day.
FWIW - I put mine away on Sept. 27th. Rode it into the garage in the rain and put a cover on it.... I'll probably need to give it a little TLC when I get back for Christmas. At least put the trickle charger on it or spray it with Pledge or something, change the oil?

telecast
11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
The thing is, I picked it up in September the first year I had it and put 1100 miles on it before the end of the season. Last year I rode 1100 miles total. This year? Just over 500. Hardly worth it.

Thruxtonbill
11-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Hey if you don't enjoy it, get rid of it. If you're no getting enough out of it with the few times you get to ride, then you're right, it's not worth the cash. Dags got it right, he would like to ride more but, the 2 k a year he does ride means alot to him.

My 2 cents..........I hope you keep it and make the most out of it.

Gas Man
11-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Dangnabit... I like the sound of that... cigar & coffee.

Tele... you sound like you're part of the "who can ride least" club. My wife is in that club, my buddy Rick, and a few others. But we still keep it.

Dagnabit
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Dangnabit... I like the sound of that... cigar & coffee.

Tele... you sound like you're part of the "who can ride least" club. My wife is in that club, my buddy Rick, and a few others. But we still keep it.

It isnt much, but those days at work where nothing goes right and I have my staff bitching and moaning about everything under the sun, riding out to a coffee house or park on the sporty helped me unwind. A good beer, good cup of joe, or a good smoke all seemed a bit better when I put em together with a ride on the bike, even if it was only a few miles.

I do understand where tel is coming from though. I had a camper for 3 years, used it a few times, and I got tired of paying for it to sit in my drive. Theres a point where the toy isnt used enough to justify the payment and you get rid of it. If I had bought a full size Harley instead of a sporty and my payment was closer to 300 rather than 100 I probably would have a hard time justifying it to myself too.

Gas Man
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah.. I just hate to see it.

On the flip side I did about 100 miles today after work... felt so good to just ride around with no real destination or time frame.

telecast
11-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Ok, NOW it's put away. Been busy and this was my first chance. Rode it to the gas station to top it off and put some Sea Foam in the tank. Battery is out and charging, cover is going on in a minute.

Really not bad out, if I had dressed for it I could've ridden today and been comfortable. All I had on was a hoodie and my shoes.

Gas Man
11-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah i wish I have been out a few times this last week or so, but been so sick.

sprink
11-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I did a mini-trip yesterday to Belle Isle to get my 100 miles for 1st oil change. Got 200 more today. Not too many bikes out. Saw six. Not a bike in Hell,lol.

Gas Man
11-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Nice... I am going to try to get out sunday.

Particle Man
11-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I went out early in the week then had to fly for work so the bike sat. I think I may get another couple rides on the bike (hope). Guy with the HD at work rides in anything below a foot or so of snow and with my commute it just isn't worth the risk to say I can. I will use this instead:http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/smugshot212648/1201302117_cCZGt-L.jpg

toby
11-20-2011, 08:37 AM
still rideing mine here and there when i can geting ready in a few to ride

Gas Man
11-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Particle... please tell me that picture is from last year.....

Moesride
11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I've been pretty much riding like you Dagnabit. Haven't had alot of time and when I do, we have something else going on. No way would I get rid of it though.. Gotta have a bike in the garage. Even a 30 min. ride is a stress reliever. Never know when things will change and end up with more time.. Done for the season too this afternoon. :(

Gas Man
11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice man. Looks like a tight garage too!

Nobody
12-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Just parked mine fore the winter. I figured 40+ and no snow on Xmass was a good time to quit pressing my luck with the weather.

Gas Man
12-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Good point.

SportstersPaul
12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Tim: You're just a riding fool.........................what happened to this years color ride?