PDA

View Full Version : Having a bike repainted. Any idea on how much and who local does good work?

Dagnabit
11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Ok, I have enjoyed my 06 883r all summer and its been a complete blast to ride. However, after 3 months of riding ive come to the conclusion i want a bit more power, forward controls, and possibly a convertable windshield. So i found a 1200R that was priced reasonable, same year as mine with roughly the same mileage but....its yellow. I could live with any other color, but I cant stand yellow on a Harley. I havent bought it yet, as im trying to figure in the cost of a paint job into my budget. Im not going with airbrushing or anything custom, just standard harley black denim paint and stock or possibly 883 iron tank graphics. Any idea what im looking at cost wise to have this done, and who in my area would you recommend doing it. Im in the downriver area, south of detroit. I would prefer to stay local if possible. Thanks

Gas Man
11-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I can check with my bud (also from huron) at the hd dealer. I'm going there Friday after work anyway... he actually does some painting himself.

The most costly is going to be that denim paint.

I will also say this.. if you need any help. I always offer up my lift or just wrenching time.

Dagnabit
11-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it. I did see that particular color paint is like a $300+ option on new bikes. I have no problem going with the oem vivid black if its quite a bit cheaper. I should know later today whats going on. Im waiting on the dealer to give me a trade in value on my old ride and to see how much he is willing to deal on the new one. If i get low-balled i can handle driving mine another season.

Gas Man
11-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Which dealer you workin with? BB? I know allot of the guys up there... well at least the core group. Don't know so many of the new guys.

Dagnabit
11-04-2011, 06:56 PM
No, this bike is at Brighton HD. Their sales guy is going to call me in the morning to talk about my trade and what he can do on the 1200.

junkyardjon
11-04-2011, 07:53 PM
for paint work, i'd say $300-500

Dagnabit
11-04-2011, 08:20 PM
for paint work, i'd say $300-500

Thats about what i thought it would cost. If its much more than that, i may rethink buying it and waiting a bit.

Bob
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Professional Autobody in Trenton. Could save a lot if you took the parts off your self. They painted a lower fairing and a fender for me and both came out perfect.

Gas Man
11-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Pro auto body as bob said will always do bang up work.

I didn't get a chance to ask my bud at the dealer but will text him later when it's not sleepy time hrs.

junkyardjon
11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
it should be around that price if the parts are nice and it's only a sand & shoot. my price guess doen't figure in decals cause i have no clue what they cost. if you can't find someone around you, give me a shout.

Gas Man
11-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Well the decals bring up another issue. If it has gas tank decals they'll be under the clear, which will be an issue. If they are emblems no worries, peal off, do the paint, put back on IF desired.

Dagnabit
11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
The tank does have decals on both sides. Not sure how hard those things are to get off, or if they can tape it off and shoot around them. Ive never done paint work so i have no clue if thats even possible. However, the stock decals do not match the black paint i want so I would have to go a different color if i kept them. The dealer still hasnt called me back yet. I sent the sales guy my bike pics yesterday evening so hopefully i hear something back soon. I really am not keen on the stock color. A bunch of us were over my bud's house yesterday that i ride with on occasion. He has a yellow fat boy and when i showed the guys the pics of the yellow sporty i got the "hey you guys can be the bumblebee twins". That aint happening. lol

Anyhow, heres a link to the ebay auction if you guys want to take a look at it and let me know what ya think. I was actually pretty surprised how many bikes brighton hd has on auction. Unlike Biker Bobs their website really doesnt show many used bikes so im guessing they must do a pretty brisk internet business. I wouldnt have even known they had this bike if i hadnt been browsing the ebay auctions as this one isnt listed on their website. I always thought that was contrary to the HD philosphy of getting folks into the dealership so you could hit em with every HD branded accessory known to mankind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-Harley-Davidson-Sportster-1200-Roadster-/170720898403?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item27bfc22d63

Gas Man
11-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Some bikes can be done in yellow and done well. We have one here done is a sweet yellow and it's POTM.

Anyway, I think it would look sweet with those glass black sides to do flat/denim black around the gloss side panels of the tank. Give it some ying/yang. Nice offset.

Gas Man
11-05-2011, 01:50 PM
MY guy at the dealership suggests

Gary @ Vance Custom Paint
Belleville
734-483-6690

Dagnabit
11-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info Chris. I agree the flat/gloss combo would offset each other nice. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer. In the meanwhile ive been researching 1200 conversion kits. I really do prefer the look of my ride, I just dont know if i want to pony up 1500 bucks or more to convert it up. Especially since you dont get any of the increased resale like you do on a factory 1200.

RedneckMedic
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
screw resale and ride it forever!!!!

Gas Man
11-06-2011, 09:58 AM
What year is your 883?

I will tell you this... if you are going to upgrade (and your bike is carb) the bike itself. Go FI. Stock to stock a FI 883 is faster than a carb 1200. My nightster is shocking fast. It's a FI 1200 and it shits and gits.

Dagnabit
11-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Both bikes are 06. Last year for carbs. I wanted an FI roadster but their rare. You dont see many, and I don't believe the 883 version was made beyond 07. The iron and nightster are smilar but I prefer the roadster. Longer travel shocks, better seat, and dual discs in front, same blacked out engine treatment.

Gas Man
11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I can understand that POV.

Dagnabit
11-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Well, looks like im keeping mine for a bit. I got offered about $700 less than I owe on my 883. Of course they did offer to roll it into the new loan, but im not that desperate to sell. When i priced in the loss on my old bike, plus repainting the new one it just wasnt worth it. Ill start looking at some engine mods over the winter, pay this one off and have fun with it.

Gas Man
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Have fun with it! Oh boy... I would love to help if you need it and I'm not working.