PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Wrap

Gas Man
10-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Well my ceramic coating isn't holding up well to my style of touring riding, and it hasn't blocked enough of the heat like I wanted. So I'm going to try some heat wrap. I found this DEI stuff quoted below...

But do any of your guys have any advice? This will be on my 2:1:2 exhaust on my Ultra.

A company called DEI providing a kit including the wrap (black, tan, titanium) withstanding 1200F direct / 2000F radiant (black & tan), 1800F direct / 2000F radiant (titanium), plus a 12 oz can of high temperature coating spray (black, aluminum or white) withstand temperatures up to 1500F, and stainless steel locking ties (8” or 14” long.)

ChefC14
10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
I've wrapped an exhaust before, it's not that difficult. Get the exhaust wrap wet, I soaked mine in a bucket of water. Unravel the wrap as you are wrapping your exhaust. Wrap it tightly and over lap it about a half an inch all the way to the end. You can use metal zip ties or hose clamps. I tried painting my exhaust wrap black using wood stove paint. It looked really good for a while but the paint doesn't stay on. You're better off buying the color you want. The wrap works really well as far as routing the heat to the end of your pipes. You can actually put your hands on it while the pipe is hot. HEre is a link to a pic of my Honda Shadow with the Cobra pipes wrapped. You'll see how the paint faded on the pipes in the hotter areas. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1399311191891&set=a.1394966283271.2054869.1505627792&type=3 The pic is on Facebook so you'll have top be logged into your FB account to view it.

RedneckMedic
10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I have the same stuff on my bike. I have a 2" in. roll in black with the black coating sprayed on top. When you put it on just take your time and don't wear good clothes when you do it because the dye from the wrap gets all over everything when its wet. I can't recall how much I used on my bike though. And when you start it up for the first time it starts to smoke a lot so do it outside or have your garage door open. A lot of people complain about the smell but I kinda liked it but it goes away after about 2 weeks of riding any way.

I think it will look bad ass on your bike sorry to hear the ceramic isn't holding up like you like it. I think this stuff is better than the metal heat*shields*that used to be on the bike.

Gas Man
10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah i got the black tape so color shouldn't be an issue. Plus I'm still going to run the heat shields over the tape/wrap.

Rugby... maybe have you come over when I do it. Being I need to run it, I might do it in the spring...

IDK... want to get it right. Not a good idea to do it and let it sit all winter before actually riding the bike a bit?

SportstersPaul
10-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Have wrapped both the XL 2000 C, and the XL2006 R, 87,000 and 95,000 miles respectfully. Some on another forum feel that the wrap leads to pipes fracturing and warn against it. I am currently replacing the rear pipe on the "R" as it did develope a split. I don't blame the wrap, but I had recently dealt with a fractured exhaust mount bracket which let the muffler move ecessively which is what I believe led to the fracture. The 2000 C exhaust was wrapped and then covered with its heat shields and no issue. One side note- it doesn't matter what color you put on your bike, a good heavy pounding rain will wash the coloring out. I have added several coats of hi-temp exhaust paint, but it still needed touching up at times. Hope this has been of some help to you.

alhall88
10-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Put some dresser duals on it, gets rid of about 25% of the heat,exhaust sounds much better and you really won't notice the slight dip in torque.

Gas Man
10-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Have wrapped both the XL 2000 C, and the XL2006 R, 87,000 and 95,000 miles respectfully. Some on another forum feel that the wrap leads to pipes fracturing and warn against it. I am currently replacing the rear pipe on the "R" as it did develope a split. I don't blame the wrap, but I had recently dealt with a fractured exhaust mount bracket which let the muffler move ecessively which is what I believe led to the fracture. The 2000 C exhaust was wrapped and then covered with its heat shields and no issue. One side note- it doesn't matter what color you put on your bike, a good heavy pounding rain will wash the coloring out. I have added several coats of hi-temp exhaust paint, but it still needed touching up at times. Hope this has been of some help to you.

So the one that you have wrapped and then covered (2000 C), you don't have issues with?

Do you like the heat blocking attributes?

Put some dresser duals on it, gets rid of about 25% of the heat,exhaust sounds much better and you really won't notice the slight dip in torque.

I don't want more sound, and remember mine don't have a cat.

SportstersPaul
10-22-2011, 11:12 PM
They still get hot, I was going more for a "street fighter"look. And yes, no issues with the "C", but it doesn't get many miles as the "R" has become the main ride.

WILEY
10-23-2011, 01:07 AM
The black wrap will turn white or off white on you eventually.

Never seems to hold the color that long, least with the ones I have wrapped.

alhall88
10-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Doesn't matter cat or not, dual head pipes will dissapate heat better than the 2-1-2 stock head pipe . Are you sure you will be able to get heat shields on over wrap?

Gas Man
10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
But with the color, I could always respray them in the off season right?

I hear that Al, but I'm just looking for something better than the ceramic.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere else, that some did it before. I figure it will be a tight fit and the heat shields will obviously be digging into the wrap.