PDA

View Full Version : Good and bad business and their practices.

Berto
12-02-2008, 04:06 PM
So here is the thread where you can post good and bad experiences with places.*

Let's make this for all, any shop where you get good service.

We will use your examples when deciding when to buy something from someone.

BAD:

sabercycleonline

Collegebikeshop

I'm going to just add some reasons.
I would never do business with the college bike shop because they where fast to take my money but when I tried to return a part they NEVER responded to me after several emails to several different people. Being a person who has an ecommerce I am VERY picky about customer service and say if you are going to list emails as contact you should use them! I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they could of replied and it could of went to spam and I missed it or visa versa but from other reviews I've read I'd say I was just ignored.

Last bad experience

Flat Rock Tire - I've been there twice, first time I was in and out in less than 15 minutes with a new tire mounted, I called them last week looking for another tire and the guy that answered put me on hold then a couple minutes later a different guy picks up the phone and through whatever meal he was having said "Yeah, why don't you try calling back when we're open", and hung up.* Okay, guess you don't ever need my money

GOOD:

Focal Point Studio of Photography.* Great service, very professional and awesome work.* For your photographic needs, Focal Point.

Music Go Round in Farmington- awesome service, they went above and beyond to help me with my needs for a bag.* They even gave me an upgrade when the bag I bought originally did not work out.* Wish I would have bought my guitar from them instead of the Guitar Center salesguy that would not let me walk out of the shop without a guitar.* Not bad on GC, but they need to lay back on the pushy sales.

Shardan's Leather at Gibraltar Trade Center in Mt Clemens. Long time family owned and operated, excellent service, work, and you get what you pay for. I get my boots and gloves elsewhere, but I've bought one of my leathers, a leather vest and a pair of chaps from him, and they're absolutely top notch stuff. They sell lots of cheapo stuff there too, but you'll know the good stuff when you see it. Ask and he'll show you the differences between the products. He'll alter and hem your chaps to fit while you wait, and he'll make any necessary repairs later on such as stitching, zippers and snaps for life, and all this while you wait. Some beanie helmets, lots of patches, and excellent seamstresses (his daughters and wife) there anytime they're open, and they'll fix or sew anything for ya. Highly recommended.

Another decent place for leather jackets is Leatherworks, on Van Dyke just north of 26 mi rd. They have been a Harley oriented place, but the owner has realized that he could do more business if he catered to metric minded folks as well. They sponsor many charity events that welcome any make of bike, and the runs are well organized and family oriented. They do sell motor oil such as amsoil and can order most parts for whatever bike you have, they have lots of patches with a seamstress usually available, some great jackets and stuff for the ladies as well, and lots of biker related things to adorn your garage with. It's a real decent place with very friendly people. http://www.mcleatherworks.com Highly recommended.

Two places that I have firsthand knowledge of and WOULD go to for service on my bike are Roseville Powersports (both guys in back are very very good) and Macomb Powersports (guy named Mike is very good). The sales departments at all of those places equally suck.

Bob
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm going to just add some reasons.
I would never do business with the college bike shop because they where fast to take my money but when I tried to return a part they NEVER responded to me after several emails to several different people.* Being a person who has an ecommerce I am VERY picky about customer service and say if you are going to list emails as contact you should use them!* I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they could of replied and it could of went to spam and I missed it or visa versa but from other reviews I've read I'd say I was just ignored.

detdrbuzzard
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
the only place i had a bad experiance at was actually biker bobs. i went to their open house and no sales person asked if i needed help just a couple hello how are you doings. they just ignored me. they would not sign me up for a test ride but came over with two guys and signed them up right in front of me so after walking around for* a couple hours i left

bettyboop1w
12-03-2008, 10:02 AM
NO GAS MAN comments!!!! lol ;D

detdrbuzzard
12-03-2008, 05:22 PM
he's holding out on us as long as he can b.b. ;D

vortech302
12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Last bad experience

Flat Rock Tire - I've been there twice, first time I was in and out in less than 15 minutes with a new tire mounted, I called them last week looking for another tire and the guy that answered put me on hold then a couple minutes later a different guy picks up the phone and through whatever meal he was having said "Yeah, why don't you try calling back when we're open", and hung up.* Okay, guess you don't ever need my money

Bob
12-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Last bad experience

Where is that place?*

Gas Man
12-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Bob... FR Tire is on Girbalter rd, in front of the hungry howies and/or where the old big lots use to be.*

I am not going to comment on my personal expierences...

Bad = too many to list

Good = um..... maybe.... well.... ok.... I GOT IT.* My garage...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/ ... 08024a.jpg (http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift%20Wrenching/Sep%2008%20Day/092708024a.jpg)[/img]
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/ ... 08029a.jpg (http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift%20Wrenching/Sep%2008%20Day/092708029a.jpg)[/img]

Lots of good guys hangin out.* Sweet bikes, and free advice/wrenching as long as you help out...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/ ... 708020.jpg (http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift%20Wrenching/Sep%2008%20Day/092708020.jpg)[/img]

All of which why I say "Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?!"

Biker Bobs... I know a few people there and have always had decent expierences there.* But of coarse I ride their brand and own a bike worth more than any other bike on the property (Period).

Berto
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM
i am drooling at that first pic... yummy!

Gas Man
12-04-2008, 04:07 PM
What 8 choppers and 2 harleys... do the math

Berto
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
That's the sounds of ten beautiful machines...

makes me smile just to think about it.

bettyboop1w
12-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Have to be more careful in the friends you meet online ;D

Gasman now you need a bigger garage.

Gas Man
12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
boop... I have met more great friends online than I can count.

And yes... I do need alot bigger garage.

bettyboop1w
12-05-2008, 09:53 PM
So sweet...

B-Kinger
01-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Shardan's Leather at Gibraltar Trade Center in Mt Clemens. Long time family owned and operated, excellent service, work, and you get what you pay for. I get my boots and gloves elsewhere, but I've bought one of my leathers, a leather vest and a pair of chaps from him, and they're absolutely top notch stuff. They sell lots of cheapo stuff there too, but you'll know the good stuff when you see it. Ask and he'll show you the differences between the products. He'll alter and hem your chaps to fit while you wait, and he'll make any necessary repairs later on such as stitching, zippers and snaps for life, and all this while you wait. Some beanie helmets, lots of patches, and excellent seamstresses (his daughters and wife) there anytime they're open, and they'll fix or sew anything for ya. Highly recommended.

detdrbuzzard
01-24-2009, 09:24 AM
i got one of my leather jackets from shardan's last year. the zipper broke on the left pocket so i took it back and they put a new zipper on for free while i waited. he said he would garentee his jackets as long as the jacket was not altered

B-Kinger
01-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Another decent place for leather jackets is Leatherworks, on Van Dyke just north of 26 mi rd. They have been a Harley oriented place, but the owner has realized that he could do more business if he catered to metric minded folks as well. They sponsor many charity events that welcome any make of bike, and the runs are well organized and family oriented. They do sell motor oil such as amsoil and can order most parts for whatever bike you have, they have lots of patches with a seamstress usually available, some great jackets and stuff for the ladies as well, and lots of biker related things to adorn your garage with. It's a real decent place with very friendly people. http://www.mcleatherworks.com Highly recommended.

B-Kinger
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Two places that I have firsthand knowledge of and WOULD go to for service on my bike are Roseville Powersports (both guys in back are very very good) and Macomb Powersports (guy named Mike is very good). The sales departments at all of those places equally suck.

Twisted
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Having worked at both Roseville Powersports and K&W, like Mike says, Roseville is far superior when it comes to their mechanics. You can tell just by looking at how clean and organized they keep their garage, it's to the point of analness. And while I did hear a few customer complaints occasionally, it was more due to the customer being a jerk, than their work. I would say the main drawback there though, is that they only repair Yamaha. And of course, Arctic Cat and Kymco, but we're talking bikes, right? However, I am fortunate Mike does all the work on my bike, because I'd hate to trust it to anyone else, no matter what.
Now as far as ordering parts go, K&W is pretty good. I know the parts guys do their best to make sure the customer gets what they want, and as soon as we can get it. We also do our best to keep the customer posted on orders, and B/O's. Just don't piss the manager off, he's a bit testy. >:(

XVjedi
07-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Good:
Michigan Cycleworks in Howell/Brighton. They'll work on anything and Adam will give you a fair deal. I like to do my own work but I use these guys for all of my parts. They have been able to get anything I've asked for and they are in line with online prices. Friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

rayzor1973
09-15-2009, 07:28 AM
American Roadshop in Waterford jacked me.

They charged me money for a job they never did properly. When I pointed out that it wasn't right the owner got super pissed and threatened to call the cops on me (I don't know why, but I suspect he is on drugs based on the fact he doesn't smoke and has almost black teeth). I took my bike out of there and had to come pick up my truck. Then when I got back the gas can I had in the back of my truck was gone and I went and looked and it was in the shop, but the mechanic told me I had to go. I said that was my grandfathers gas can and he said "go fuck yourself".

Real nice guys these two are. If I was a younger man without a family I know what I would have done. I am glad I am older now and they are glad because they still have a shop....

Don't use them. If you are in the Waterford area there is ABC and Boomers right around the corner from these assholes.... and if you are friends with them tell Tim to go fuck himself.

telecast
09-15-2009, 12:43 PM
That sucks. Someone should move this to the Dealers and Stealers thread.

Gas Man
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
A fuckin men if they did all that shit to you.

But seriously... I hope you come back and give a proper intro instead of just rant and leave.

Berto
09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Done... and I will NOT be supporting those A holes!

Customer Service is NON Existent in this day in age.

People need to get back to basics! Customer Service yields good business.

RoadZombie
10-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Strange. Been to American Roadshop quite a few times as has a co-worker. Never had any sort of problems with 'em. Actually, more than once they've cut me a deal or two. Although, I've never had my bike serviced there...and there is always two sides to every story.

ziek
10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Nicholsons. I had service work there a couple times on my 82 vf750. They do good work at fair prices but the last time it came back missing a side cover. I called and talked to the mech that worked on my bike and asked if they misplaced it, he then talked to me like I'm some kind of idiot and said I lost it. That was two years ago and I still can't find a replacement. I'm either gonna do my own work or strip my bike befor I turn it in.

telecast
06-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Big shout out to Zack's Cycle in Milan. I thought I had a front brake problem, couldn't figure it out. Everything appeared to be fine, pads, rotors, etc. Took it to Zack's. The mechanic test drove it, said it was just noisy pads and they could change them if I wanted, but also said there was no reason to. He said HD pads run harder than most aftermarket and can get noisy after a while. No charge.

I can see a dealer selling me new calipers and rotors for some ungodly amount just because.

Mad Dog
06-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Yup, had that with my last one. 50K when I traded it with the original front pads. Noisey too.

telecast
06-08-2011, 02:46 PM
50K when I traded it with the original front pads.

Holy crap! You know, there's a lever on the right handelbar, just in front of the grip. If you squeeze it, the brakes are activiated.

Just sayin'......

jannypan
08-04-2011, 01:38 AM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they could of replied and it could of went to spam and I missed it or visa versa but from other reviews I've read I'd say I was just ignored.

SoftailBilly
04-02-2012, 11:40 PM
A recommendation from California. Gary Bang Harley Davidson. Family owned & operated. Nice place to stop in buy that tee on long road trip. Had them do a 10000 mile service. Its 50 miles one way and worth the ride up the coast. Gary advised me what they found & corrected. Went home, started cleaning bike up next day and found a replacement derby cover. Mine was scratched from dropping bike in the garage. No charge & no mention of the new cover. Got a loyal customer here.

Gas Man
04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
That's good to hear and rare these days.

vlmuke
04-19-2012, 12:39 AM
American Rebel(leatherworks) in Lakeside mall same crew of Leatherworks, as Leatherworks closed on Vandyke, more clothing not as much gear Great people
Triumph of Detroit, Dave owner always Nice and friendly
Macomb County Choppers, I ordered some parts there, got great customer service there too, called when they were in seems to have reasonable prices on service also
RayC's in Lapeer, it was busy in the parts dept, Ray came over and helped me out, I could tell he hadn't been behind the counter in a while but I appreciate him stepping up and helping out, actually didn't know the was the owner, till one of the sales ladies told me, everyone is Nice and friendly.

Bad
Debrix.com they have no phone all has to be done through email prices are great but they are SLOW so if you are no in a hurry they are OK, It took a month to get my order shipped, one of the items I ordered was damaged they paid for my to return ship and had to wait another month to get the replacement parts saved a ton of money, but would have paid more, than to have wait two months to get my order completed.

Gas Man
04-19-2012, 09:52 AM
The only thing I have ordered from Debrix was some mirrors and they were ok for that.

I didn't hear all that about Leatherworks... crazy!

Bagger Dave
04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
The only thing I have ordered from Debrix was some mirrors and they were ok for that.

I didn't hear all that about Leatherworks... crazy!

same here on Debrix...I also ordered mirrors from them...no problems there

vlmuke
04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
I did too, I ordered the mirrors and handle bars on feb. 14 didn't receive them until the 16th of march, the mirrors were chipped they weren't packed very well, sent them back on the 19th got my mirrors last week the 14th of april so it was exactly 2 months from the original order prices are great but it was too slow for me I don't mind a week or two but a month come on.

Yeah Chuck and Brandi work at Wolverine Now, and the American Rebel is nice I just hope they get enough business to keep open like I posted earlier they seem to be more concentrated on clothes but still do patches there

sprink
04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Cool. Got an email from Chick at Wolverine, but hadn't heard about American Rebel. Not too far away, but I HATE MALLS.

Gas Man
04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah that is BS vlmuke!!! No wonder you don't like em.

vlmuke
04-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Cool. Got an email from Chick at Wolverine, but hadn't heard about American Rebel. Not too far away, but I HATE MALLS.
Well that's my concern is many of us who ride don't care for malls and don't know its there, I really liked leatherworks also the seamstress did excellent work on my Coast Guard uniforms, but she luckily is at American rebel.

Rainey
08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Great service and dealing with BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids. Every on there is very helpful, not pushy and there to help anyone. It's nice to go into a shop that welcomes all kinds of riders no matter what brand they ride.

Gas Man
08-22-2012, 11:45 PM
What dealership doesn't welcome? I don't find that...

Chain
08-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Ive NEVER had an issue with ANY HD or BIG DOG dealer.... wether I rode the HD or the BD to there dealership... NEVER. I've heard of those that have, but I think it may be a presentation matter. Like some may ride up to a HD dealer with a BD, and expect to have some type of conflict, so you ride up with a chip on your shoulder... maybe...

junkyardjon
08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
oh i have a few time's but it's more of the parts counter person not wanting to work. did i have a chip on my shoulder... hell yes after i stand around waiting for help as they shoot the shit behind the counter. that will make me never go back there and just order parts from my buddies shop in oklahoma.

Mudpuppy
08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
I have found that almost all metric dealers just don't care. They make tons of money with huge markup and they think they are doing you a favor selling you a bike, servicing a bike or selling you parts. Can't say I am sad to see some of them go out of business. That is why I buy used bikes, do my own work with the help of some knowledgeable friends and buy parts online. Fuck em. I have been in customer service for 20+ years and believe me I know what even minimal effort should be.

Gas Man
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Mud... I can attest that metric dealerships are the worse! They absolutely blow donkey nuts. Some of the worse dealership service I have even gotten, car/bike/truck, has came from those places.

RedneckMedic
08-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I have found that almost all metric dealers just don't care. They make tons of money with huge markup and they think they are doing you a favor selling you a bike, servicing a bike or selling you parts. Can't say I am sad to see some of them go out of business. That is why I buy used bikes, do my own work with the help of some knowledgeable friends and buy parts online. Fuck em. I have been in customer service for 20+ years and believe me I know what even minimal effort should be.

They always said they can order the part. they never had anything in stock and when I told them I could get it online cheaper he called me a liar

Mudpuppy
08-24-2012, 01:22 PM
They always said they can order the part. they never had anything in stock and when I told them I could get it online cheaper he called me a liar

Isn't it awesome when they want to argue with the customer? It just goes to prove they have no sense of reality whatsoever. I would rather drag my balls through rusty aids infected needles and broken glass than go to a metric dealer.

leebo
08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Bought my triumph @ monroe motorsports I really
Like that place got treated good and they sold me a
Solid bike.also I go to americanroadshop in waterford
all the time ,cant really say anything bad BUT MICHIGAN MOTORSPORTS aka andersons in pontiac or bloomfield or
Whatever i hate tha place ever since the 70s.never got treated well there.grrrrr

junkyardjon
08-24-2012, 09:22 PM
i argue with customers all day and have to deal with stupid people all the time. i enjoy my job the most when i get to tell them to fuck off and i don't need the bull shit.

Gas Man
08-24-2012, 10:09 PM
You're right Leebo. Monroe is a decent place... but they are the own stand alone deal.

Mudpuppy
08-27-2012, 10:20 AM
i argue with customers all day and have to deal with stupid people all the time. i enjoy my job the most when i get to tell them to fuck off and i don't need the bull shit.

what do you do?

I get stupid people all the time but I have a set method on how to "handle" them.. there is a blunt way to say fuck off and lose business or there is a polite creative way where they actually want to order more from you and take more abuse..