PDA

View Full Version : Riding in this heat

telecast
07-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Is like being shoved into an oven. When you stop the added engine heat is like someone switched it to broil.

The NWS issued an 'Excessive Heat' warning for tomorrow and Thursday. First time I've ever heard of it. According to the news, they issue it when the heat index is expected to exceed 110.

We're supposed to ride out to The Artesian by Cement City for bike night this Thursday. I think I'm gonna' bail.

meinschaft
07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
It is pretty brutal. I'm generally ATGATT, but forego the leather pants in this weather. My jacket is perforated but I'm still soaked when I get home. My wife had to help me pull the jacket off - I was stuck to the inside.

I've only found one practical solution. Ride faster. That helps a little.

Makes me pine for those cool days of Spring/Fall. The bike likes it better then, too.

Chain
07-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Were leaving this shit for cooler temps Wed evening. Copper Harbor. Supposed to be in the 70's.... I do NOT enjoy it this hot, but will take it over snow anytime!

Gas Man
07-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah there is no other way to deal with it. If you can ride away from it like chain, it's probably just best to let it sit till it cools down a bit. Same reason why many in the southern states call summer their "winter downtime".

Nobody
07-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Been playing vampire and only rolling after dark. It's bad when I cant even walk the block to the bar with out having to chug a liter of water on the way, to keep from dehydrating

Mad Dog
07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Was out this morning for a few hours. Will ride again after dinner tonight.
It's 89 and climbing right now. F-That....

junkyardjon
07-20-2011, 08:14 PM
i love this weather!!!!

Mudpuppy
07-25-2011, 09:27 AM
anyone ever hear of a fan bypass switch? just learned of this yesterday.. going to have to put one on my bike..

Gas Man
07-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Yep... basically you bypass the thermo switch for you rad fan. Go around it so you can turn fan on at will. It helps.