PDA

View Full Version : Bad news.....but so far really lucky

Thruxtonbill
06-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Some of you remember Bkinger (Mike) from the forum, he had a nasty get off in WVirgina Sat morning and broke his neck, yes broke his neck. fotunately he is ok at this point and able to move everything. He also cracked a rib, bruised his hip and dislocated his shoulder.
We trailered down Fri night to Parkersburg WVa, got in around 130am and hit the twisties before 9, around 75 miles in, on rt 18 we were behind a pick up with trailer and Mike passed in a very short passing zone, I was behind the truck. After a couple of S turns on a right hander, I saw the dust and his bike comming to rest on the left side of the road over a ditch, Mike was 20 ft in front of the bike in the rock filled ditch. It seemed like it took me 10 mins to get my bike stopped and dismount. He was standing and taking his helmet(saved his head) off, dazed and confused, got him to sit down while the people in the truck called 911. I asked him what hurt? he said " my neck" For being in the middle of nowhere the ambulance arrived within 10 mins. He was taken to UHC hospital in Clarksburg WVa. I returned to the hotel and grabbed my truck to go pick up the bike and get back to the hospital. As I was driving, Mike texted me, I was relieved as I thought cool, he's ok......."OMG I have a broken neck, I need sugrery" I could not believe what I was reading. Scary shit.
His girlfriend, mother and sister were on their way, I waited with him until they got there and then headed back to the hotel early this morning, got back home around 330 today. I got the word as I was driving that surgery might just be an option, and a halo with several months of rehab is a possability. Either way, he's not out of the woods yet so please, positive thought are in order.
There is a little more to this story that I will reveal soon, something is not quite right with where he went down, more to come

jerrygsx
06-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Our thoughts, prayers, and best wishes go out to him and his family. Hoping for a speedy and full recovery, best of luck.

Bob
06-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry to here is man. Tell Mike we all wish him a fast recovery!

Gas Man
06-26-2011, 08:57 PM
That sucks. Prayers that he makes a fast recovery.

What caused the crash? Too much speed? Gravel in the turn?

SportstersPaul
06-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Wishing him the very best, and will standby for an update on the road.

RedneckMedic
06-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Always hate hearing a rider go down him and his family are in my prayers.

ChefC14
06-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Some of you remember Bkinger (Mike) from the forum, he had a nasty get off in WVirgina Sat morning and broke his neck, yes broke his neck. fotunately he is ok at this point and able to move everything. He also cracked a rib, bruised his hip and dislocated his shoulder.
We trailered down Fri night to Parkersburg WVa, got in around 130am and hit the twisties before 9, around 75 miles in, on rt 18 we were behind a pick up with trailer and Mike passed in a very short passing zone, I was behind the truck. After a couple of S turns on a right hander, I saw the dust and his bike comming to rest on the left side of the road over a ditch, Mike was 20 ft in front of the bike in the rock filled ditch. It seemed like it took me 10 mins to get my bike stopped and dismount. He was standing and taking his helmet(saved his head) off, dazed and confused, got him to sit down while the people in the truck called 911. I asked him what hurt? he said " my neck" For being in the middle of nowhere the ambulance arrived within 10 mins. He was taken to UHC hospital in Clarksburg WVa. I returned to the hotel and grabbed my truck to go pick up the bike and get back to the hospital. As I was driving, Mike texted me, I was relieved as I thought cool, he's ok......."OMG I have a broken neck, I need sugrery" I could not believe what I was reading. Scary shit.
His girlfriend, mother and sister were on their way, I waited with him until they got there and then headed back to the hotel early this morning, got back home around 330 today. I got the word as I was driving that surgery might just be an option, and a halo with several months of rehab is a possability. Either way, he's not out of the woods yet so please, positive thought are in order.
There is a little more to this story that I will reveal soon, something is not quite right with where he went down, more to come

Bill, this sucks for so many reasons. Is Mike back in Michigan or are they going to treat him down there? I tried calling Mike this weekend and I wondered if something was up because he almost always returns my calls. Then I see a message on Facebook from a friend of his. After that I checked here and sure enough found your post. He's as tough as nails so I know he'll get through this but it still sucks big time. I'm sure it messed you up also. It's not easy seeing that kind of thing happen. I saw one wreck and it made me sick to my stomach. I'm glad you were there with him for his sake.

Nobody
06-27-2011, 02:38 AM
Good to hear he at least didn't go perma-ragdoll in the crash. Prayers & blessed wishes for him & his loved ones.

Thruxtonbill
06-27-2011, 08:57 AM
What caused the crash? Too much speed? Gravel in the turn?

Ok here is the deal, as I went back to the crash site I found the tire skid and what I assume was the slider scrape on the road. Keep in mind I did not see him go down, only the tail end of the crash. The guy in the truck behind him said his rear locked up before he low sided. The strange part is I could not get his bike in neutral and believe it or not his bike is not that bad as it landed in some very tall and thick grass. now it is possible he was carrying to much speed and could not scrub enough off or he went from 3rd to first and the rear locked up. I just think it's strange I cant get this bike into neutral.........any ideas?

Thruxtonbill
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Things are improving, he's comming home tomorrow

ChefC14
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Great, glad to hear he's heading home. Being back home is the first step to recovery.

junkyardjon
06-27-2011, 10:15 PM
dang that sucks, scary stuff for sure. heres to a speedy recovery!!

Thruxtonbill
06-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Ok, he's on his way home and ready to get here. I talked to him last night and told him after looking at his bike closer, it's not that bad, mostly cosmetic ( allthough frame might be tweaked).
He said " I'll never ride that bike again........NEXT!. can you say Aprilia.

Gas Man
07-01-2011, 04:54 AM
Glad to hear & SEE he's doing better. He certainly could have gotten a dirt nap out of that deal.