PDA

View Full Version : Update from my end

Mudpuppy
06-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Well spring / summer started off super busy for me and I was barely getting by never having enough time to get everything I needed to get done done. Then on June 3 I received a phone call around 2pm from my Mom that my Dad fell off the deck from 10' up and couldn't feel his legs. Life kind of got put on hold right at that moment as I rushed over there to see what was going on and I followed the ambulance to the hospital. My Dad is 71 years old and is very active - he was playing tennis 4 times a week, golf and doing everything around the house himself. This was a crushing blow to the entire family. My Dad broke 3 bones in his neck including a massive shift of C1 and 2 bones in his middle to lower back T10 & T11. He had major surgery on June 4 and on June 6 they put a halo on him for his neck after 2 days of traction. I spent 13 days at the hospital about 18 hours each day trading off time with my sister and brother-in-law to cover 24 hours per day including sleeping in the ill equipped hospital room. We finally got him to a point where he could manage his own care program and we didn't need to be there all the time and he was in rehab. Then I get a call that he is in ICU with pneumonia and the whole cycle started over again. Fast forward to this week and he is now doing better and back in rehab. He still can't move his legs or control his bodily functions. Not really sure if he will ever get either back. His right arm is really weak probably from the previous rotater cuff injury and the broken bones in his neck. He is in initial rehab for 30 days and probably 6 months after that in an extended care facility or at home with a nurse. His halo will stay on for 3 months. He can't eat or drink due to unknown reasons and has to be fed through a tube, called a "peg", in his stomach. Despite all this his attitude remains really good and he sees the upcoming rehab as a challenge. The nurses and doctors are all pulling for him along with our family and a lot of the hospital staff have told him he is the best patient they ever had and to come back and see them (he's moved rooms 7 times since June 4) when he has recovered.

Moral of the story - live big because life changes in the blink of an eye. One minute he is staining his deck and the next he is in the emergency room with life changing injuries.

Mad Dog
06-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Mud, so sorry to hear. Yes you are right, life as we know it can change in a second for any of us. Sounds like your dad is a real fighter.
This will help him through the comming challenges.
My thoughts and prayers are with your dad, you and your family.

Bob
06-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry to hear it man. Glad he's on the road to recovery!

RedneckMedic
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear all that mud the best part is that he has family there with him to help him get through it...Good luck with the recovery process for all of you.

What hospital is he at if you don't mind me asking?

telecast
06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Mud, hang tough for dad and the family.

Hoping this all turns out.

Thruxtonbill
06-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Wow mud, very sorry to hear this news, positive thoughts are being sent your way. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Chris300s
06-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Wow, that sucks. I hope that your dad's recovery continues to improve. With the support that you and your family are providing, I'm sure that it will.

Mudpuppy
06-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks all. I am keeping the hospital name private just because he already has had some unexpected visitors, one of which almost passed out. So I'd rather not say. Now I have to do a Google calendar and start slowly trickling visitors in next week. It's been a tough few weeks. I am pretty much handling everything for him. He did everything around the house so now I pay his bills, I had to arrange to get the deck fixed, etc. etc.

sprink
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
I am sorry to hear this as well. You replied to an e-mail that night from the hospital. I had no idea you and Dad would be there so long. His positive attitude will go a long way in helping with rehab. Wishing your Dad the best and you a little rest.

SportstersPaul
06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Sorry with the misfortune, wishing the best to you and your family.

jerrygsx
06-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Nowadays 71 yrs is still considered fairly young and hopefully with proper care and therapy, your pops can recover from this. All of us here send our prayers and best wishes.

Gas Man
06-24-2011, 07:31 PM
WOW Mud... I'm sorry to hear about the fall. If I can help, Paul.... you have my number. I can't promise much working 70+hrs a week but I will try.

Keep us updated as he progress, which by the sound of it, sounds like he will do lots of progress.

Mudpuppy
06-25-2011, 11:29 PM
thanks all and Chris we need to set a day and time for me and my brother in law to come over and see your lift if nothing else just for a reason to ride and to hang out..

Gas Man
06-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Ok bud... hit me up on bbm