PDA

View Full Version : Trip with Grandpa

RedneckMedic
06-21-2011, 01:49 AM
So the beginning of august me and my grandpa are planning a weekend trip to my aunts up in traverse city. I've never been there and know that michigan has some nice roads up that way. My grandpa suggested 96 to 127 to 75 and i know 96 to 17 is boring as all get out from my trips up to central. Now his friend suggested this .....

If I was gonna spend the day in the saddle and was in Traverse City ... I'd head up 31 to Charlevoix then on to Harbor Springs ... you are riding along or near the lake. Take time to ride around Harbor Springs, there are some really old and fancy houses there. The "Chicago Mob" use to hang out there in the 1930's and 1940's. Out of Harbor Springs I'd head north on 119 and ride the "Tunnel of Trees" .. it been written up in many of the scooter magazines as a nice ride. I'd stop in Cross Village and have lunch at "Legs Inn" it's a pretty cool place. Then on to Mackinaw to see the bridge. It's about 100 miles and you'll see some pretty nice scenery. One thing to remember ... if the wind is blowing be careful of the sand on the road when you're riding close to the beach along the lake. Have fun and remember ...... "Shiny Side Up"

So i guess what im asking is the best possible route to get there with it not taking all day because my grandpa is an older guy and can't be on the bike for a 15 hour ride haha. Im also contemplating renting a bigger bike for the trip so I can enjoy it more because with the shadow hardtailed it takes a lot out of my back. Let me know what you guys think would be a nice route.

Gas Man
06-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Use my route... it will take you thru the parts he's talking about.

http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums/showthread.php?1840-Lake-Michigan-Loop-lt-modem-killer-gt

SportstersPaul
06-23-2011, 02:41 PM
You can also duck out through the Leelanau penninsula the village of Leland is comforting, the harbors interesting, and you're not far from the Dunes.

ChefC14
06-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Well let me tell you. The ride through Harbor Springs and up 119 is a good ride. Also it was suggested to go up the Lelenau Peninsula, that is also a gorgeous ride. You can't go wrong with either one. I live in Petoskey so I hit these roads often. 119 up to Legs Inn is on the Lake Michigan shoreline and it is a curvy road. It's 1.5 lanes wide, not quite 2 lanes. Often there is sand on the edges of the road because people can't seem to keep there a=cars on the road and kick the sand up on the road. It's not dangerous unless you try to break some speed records which my friends and I do usually in the Fall after the summer folk have left. You will definitely see kamikaze squirrels maybe some deer and turkeys as well. Have a good trip and take it easy on grandpa.