PDA

View Full Version : Ride for a Reason, June 5th, staging at Cabela's

telecast
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Anyone wanting to do a huge group ride, this is the one. Last year's ride was screwed up due to the tornado that hit Dundee. Maybe they'll have better luck this year. They plan on over 1500 bikes. Ride starts at Cabela's and covers about 100 miles, ends up at Biker Bob's in Taylor with music and Famous Dave's BBQ. $25 per person, all proceeds go to the Penrickton center for blind children.

http://www.bikerbobshd.com/custompage.asp?pg=rfr

Gas Man
05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
No thanks. I don't like the way hog runs their rides. They are dangerous.

Psychodad1961
05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
+1 Gas Man. Tried one of those my first summer with the Sporty. Chaos at best.

SportstersPaul
05-26-2011, 10:42 AM
+1 Gas Man. Tried one of those my first summer with the Sporty. Chaos at best.

Jeff: Still got time to make the Lake Erie run?

telecast
05-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Oh come on, how much trouble could you possibly get into riding @ 60mph with 2500 newbies on 800lb bikes that never do group rides ? :p

I'm doing the ride but will be surrounded with people I've ridden with before. I'm hoping they'll make a nice buffer.....

stuffdeer
05-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I'd consider it...but my uncle did the ride and said never again. I'd love to do the ride. But can do it anytime...I have family out in Dundee.

Gas Man
05-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I'd consider it...but my uncle did the ride and said never again. I'd love to do the ride. But can do it anytime...I have family out in Dundee.

And you'd have a much better ride with just you and/or a few peeps you know.

telecast
05-27-2011, 09:56 AM

I live in Milan, the ride stages about 8 miles from me. People always want to go for a ride "out to Cabela's". Big deal. It's rare that a ride starts near me, they always end out here. My ride is usually getting to the kick off spot.

And you'd have a much better ride with just you and/or a few peeps you know.

All depends on your state of mind. This isn't about the ride as much as the event. If I want to go for a 'ride', this isn't it. I've watched this ride go past my house for many years, it usually takes them about 45 minutes to go by. Figured I'd like to see what draws so many people. If it turns into a nightmare it'll be easy enough to just peel off somehwere.

Nobody
05-30-2011, 02:42 AM
I thought about this until a close friend described his experience with "I'd rather commute to Muskegon on a moped." So I think I'll just donate 25$ to the charity directly and zip down to Illinois to visit a family friend instead.

Gas Man
05-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Your friend is wise... he should join the forum. We need to offset Mud.

telecast
06-16-2011, 12:21 PM
So, all said and done, we didn't go. My neighbors told me their friend went. This is the friend's account of the ride:

First off, they decided to separate the Harleys from all other brands. I guess that was due to the Guiness Book World Record attempt. That thoroughly pissed off the non-HD riding contigent who rode out with someone on an HD and wanted to do the ride with them. All the HD's went up front, everything else in the back.

Some of the hot shot dickhead sportbike riders, I think you real sportbike riders refer to them as 'squids', decided it'd be fun to pop wheelies and do some stunts while on the ride. That resulted in a few accidents and some injuries.

Lastly, and this is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard: The ride ended at Biker Bob's. I guess they thought it'd be nice to provide cold water to the riders after the hot ride. Someone was evidently out front tossing partially frozen bottles of water to them as they pulled in. HUH? Who in the hell would think that was a good idea? It sounds like there were dented tanks and some dropped bikes as riders tried to avoid a frozen bottle of water being thrown at them. The next door neighbor's friend had a rear fender dented.

So, glad I didn't go. The wife and I ended up riding up to Boneheads for dinner. On the way home we had a guy in a car shoot through a 4-way stop at 50mph, never even tried to slow down. About 5 miles later a car full of kids turned right in front of us, had to lock the brakes to avoid hitting them.

But we were still safer than being on the ride....

wormdjd
06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
We didn't go because I suspected they would try to split up HD and non-HD (my wife rides a Honda and my buddy a Yamaha). I'm not real surprised at the rest either.

telecast
06-16-2011, 01:03 PM
This was the first time that I'm aware of. When the ride used to go past my house everyone was mixed together.

Gas Man
06-16-2011, 07:37 PM
If I had people that were with me on non-hd and they did that. I'd leave. No money paid, don't pass go... FUCK YOU! Record or not, that is BS.

Then the water toss... I'd F somebody up I don't care if it's frozen or not. That is not funny, intelligant, or a good idea.

These are just some of the reasons why I no longer attend these charity rides.

alhall88
06-16-2011, 08:48 PM
You didn't have to split up, all you had to do was enter your harley to be counted then back to your friends or spouses in the other bikes. And if you didn't want to enter your harley that was ok too. I personally didn't see the other stuff that went on. I had a good time and thats all that counts, I was with several friends so i didn't have to worry who was in front or behind me.

telecast
06-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Al: Did you see the 'water toss'? I'm having a hard time believing that happened, no one could be that stupid, especially a bike shop. I'll probably have to hear a second account before it's solid.

alhall88
06-17-2011, 04:40 AM
No I didn't see anything like that, and when we pulled into Biker Bob's I didn't see any commotion over it either. We were about the middle of the pac so we weren't the first ones or the last ones in.

Nobody
06-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Christ on a V8 pogostick... even if half that's true, no wonder my budy said he'd rather ride to Muskegon on a moped..