PDA

View Full Version : Commuting in Rush Hour

zenith931
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here. I ride a 2008 Honda CBR600rr. I've been riding for about 2 years now.

I just have a quick question for those of you familiar with the area of Orchard Lake and the 696/I-96 interchange. I would like to ride my motorcycle to work and that is the route I would currently be on (I-96 > 696 > Orchard Lake). Seeing the type of drivers in my car during the morning and afternoon rush hour makes me a little nervous (they're all preoccupied, don't look, aggressive, etc.).

Would you ride in rush hour traffic almost daily on that route?

I'd like your opinions. Thanks!!

Mudpuppy
05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
welcome to the forum.. i used to ride in rush hour but not when i was a new(er) rider.. i wouldn't recommend it and that is not much of a ride anyways..

zenith931
05-19-2011, 03:31 PM
welcome to the forum.. i used to ride in rush hour but not when i was a new(er) rider.. i wouldn't recommend it and that is not much of a ride anyways..

Hi! Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy riding and like to do it whenever I can -- even if it is to commute. Besides, you can't argue that it does save on gas! Which is another big argument TO riding. I am just wary to if the environment of rush hour is too tenuous.

Mudpuppy
05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
gas savings are marginal. i'd bet i could drive a 4wd expedition in 4wd year around same distance as you and you would save a nominal amount of money over the course of a year.. around $600.. big deal.. i blow that much on a friday night with gasman at the hustler club.. that's a whopping $11 a week.. wow.. the whole fuel economy thing is way overblown..

but it's cool you like to ride.. i used to ride wherever and whenever i could.. i am a bit more selective now.. not as much of a novelty and rush hour traffic is a pain in the ass on a bike.. i have got run into more times than a whore on 8 mile.. punched out people's windows, kicked in their fenders.. it's really not good for the bike or the blood pressure.. if you do ride leave early and take back roads or roads less traveled to make it enjoyable..

jerrygsx
05-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Don't let Mudpuppy fool you. I am pretty sure I saw him going down I 75 between 2 cars with each hand on the cars side view mirror, his bike was in neutral and he was steering with his feet!
That's Gas Savings and that Man can Ride!! The rest of us, however, have to be extra careful in rush hour (and every other time as well) to watch for everything and anything. I always assume I will be cut off by that idiot next to me so I try as much as possible to put distance between me and everyone else When I can.

Nobody
05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
If they're anything like the drivers in the Canton-Plymouth & Ann Arbor-Ypsi area.. I wouldn't ride in rush hour unless you have a nice back roads & side street route planned out. Hell some crazy c*$% in a Lincoln tried to run my Ranger over today when I went to go get petrol for the lawnmower, and that was just during the lunch hour traffic.

telecast
05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
gas savings are marginal. i'd bet i could drive a 4wd expedition in 4wd year around same distance as you and you would save a nominal amount of money over the course of a year.. around $600.. big deal.. i blow that much on a friday night with gasman at the hustler club.. that's a whopping $11 a week.. wow.. the whole fuel economy thing is way overblown..

Maybe I need to get my calculator checked, but if I could ride my bike year 'round at $3.50 a gallon it'd save me around $1800 a year. That's THREE weekends with gasman at the Hustler Club.

Welcome Zenith.

Mudpuppy
05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Actually your math is a little off - that would be 3 nights at hustler club with gasman.. weekends cost extra although there is a 5% discount on a weekend combo package..

Ok so the bike vs expedition might be a slight exaggeration but I did a lot of research on this whole gas savings thing before i bought the expedition and it is really nominal.. people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.. personally i base my calculations on life cycle costs of vehicle cost, maintenance, insurance, gas, etc. - the whole package, not just a fuel mileage number..

Dirty
05-20-2011, 11:34 AM
First, welcome to the forums Zenith. I ride in rush hour everyday but surface streets only. I only take the freeway if absolutely necessary...telegraph is bad enough.

Second, you guys got me thinking so I had to figure it out, here's what I have:

Ford Escape - 30 MPG
Bike - 42 MPG

Drive 260 miles per week for work (26 miles each way)

Gas Price for the Escape - $3.78 (regular)
Gas Price for the bike - $4.06 (premium)

Escape works out to 8.7 gallons of gas at a cost of $32.89
Bike works out to 6.2 gallons of gas at a cost of $25.17
Savings per week = $7.72 ($401.44 per year)

Of course this assumes riding the bike everyday instead of nice weather only so my savings are actually very small. So why do I ride....cuz I like to http://forums.thevmc.com/bb/images/emoticons/chopper.gif

Mudpuppy
05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
You are getting there Dirty but you missed something.. Now eliminate the cost of insurance and maintenance of the bike and just drive the escape, now which is cheaper? Uh oh. We are rocking the fuel mileage boat here, you mean I can't buy a $50,000 electric car, save the environment and money? Damn.. the world is going to turn inside out.. But yes Dirty that is the gist of it and my point - I wouldn't ride just for fuel economy because if that was my justification it wouldn't work (unless I just want to tell a bullshit story to the wife and in that case it would definitely work, smoke and mirrors my friend and tapping into her "saving money" theory). But I will go to the bar tonight and drink to fuel economy if that makes everyone feel better (or at least me when the alcohol dulls my pain of all the fucking bullshit I deal with everyday)..

telecast
05-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Ok, I figured based on Mud's "year around" statement. Since he was slightly exaggerating, I figured turnabout was fair play.

Anyway, at the end of the day there's no real advantage. All you have to do is add in a bike payment and you're dead in the water. Even with my 19.5 MPG truck it doesn't work out. We have bikes because we want to have them.

I've always marveled at people who could convince themselves and/or their significant other that there was a cost savings based on fuel use.

stuffdeer
05-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Now if we compare my 2011 F250 that gets 7.6 mpg when working....Bought in December, and already have 14k on it...

Wish I could tow my enclosed trailer with me bike...

Gas Man
05-21-2011, 02:59 PM
And I don't care how much you think you're a biker of bikers... it's all a hobby. It may be a lifestyle type hobby, but none of us are builders making ends meat doing this.