PDA

View Full Version : So, I think I'm about to be in over my head....

sevenplusone
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
My daily rider is a very nice and clean '82 Suzuki GS850L. However, it's developed a rather steady oil leak in front of the #1 cylinder on the front of the motor. I'm no mechanic, far from it actually, but I'm assuming that there is some sort of gasket between the heads and cylinders. This must be where it's leaking from. Additionally, upon discussing this with a mechanic aquaintance of mine says this means it's either already running on 3 cylinders or it's only a matter of time. I pulled the #4 and #1 plugs for comparison. Both are clean and dry. It's still running glassy smooth, no trouble starting, running, idling, etc.

I really don't know that I'd be capable of tearing down a motor and replacing this gasket...and I surely don't have the $ for such an endeavor. I'm open to suggestions for trouble shooting and/or suggestions on what my next moves are. Help me out guys.

Chris300s
05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't know anything about Suzuki GS850L's.
but... There is a gasket. It's probably leaking. Maybe from the cam cover? Wipe/wash off all of the dirt and oil, dry it and spay it with baby powder. It will be easier to see where the oil is coming from.
It should not be a major project to replace a cam cover or head gasket. If you don't have a manual for your bike get one and hook up with a local biker to do the work in his garage fro some guidance.

I don't know why your mechanic thinks that it's running on 3 cylinders? Particularly if you say that it runs well? It's easy enough to check without pulling the plugs, one exhaust pipe won't get hot (when the others do). I had this happen last week on my brothers CB650. After a judicious tap on the float bowl with a box wrench she picked right back up!

Chris