PDA

View Full Version : Michigan MSF Class

wormdjd
04-18-2011, 04:35 PM
The wife and I took the MSF class at Schoolcraft in Garden City this weekend and I just thought I'd reflect on some of the things I learned:

Riding on two wheels, even in crap weather in a parking lot beats working. When the funds allow I may investigate some cold weather gear to allow a longer riding season.
The class is definitely worth taking. I'd developed some pretty bad habits since I started riding in 2000 and apparently bad habits are harder to break than learning new ones; my wife, who had never been on a motorcycle before only got one point deducted from the road test which was way better than me. Even though I'll never live it down (she posted it to all our friends on Facebook) I was kind of proud and it relieved some of the fear I had about putting her on two wheels.
Smaller bikes can be fun. I'm thinking of adding a couple of cheap sub-250's to the stable to putter around town and to take up north. I won't be replacing the Harley but they're easier to get out and ride around.

Just thought I'd start a new thread since there haven't been many lately. Definitely had some fun this weekend and would recommend the class to anyone either new to riding or as a refresher for those who've been away. Also thanks to Abate for subsidizing the class so we could afford to take it.

Thruxtonbill
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Good on ya for taking it with the wife, and props for admitting you had some bad habits. You're right, small bikes are alot of fun.
BTW, thanks for starting a new thread, for awhile I thought I was on a gun forum.:)

Gas Man
04-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I agree with Bill.

And when my wife took her class a few years ago, I took it with her as moral support. She rode under my lessons for a year before taking it. And per the msf instructor I taught her perfectly. The instructor even used me as the demonstrator the entire weekend.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/July2007023.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/July2007019.jpg

And the MSF bikes are POS!!!!

Nobody
04-19-2011, 04:20 AM
I did the bulk of mine on a beat to hell Honda rebel... the instructor kept asking me why I wasn't wearing a Fez :) I'm short, but this sucker was so small I had to chicken wing my legs out to keep the handlebars from cracking me in the patellas in turns.

WILEY
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
I encourage gals who have no intention of riding their own to take the course.

They get a new understanding for what you are doing when they are on the back.

They at the very least become better passengers, and at most get bit with the riding bug.

wormdjd
04-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Thruxtonbill: The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have it right? I never had any formal instruction since none of my family rode, just some friends and we were young and dumb.

Gas: As I suspected you are the epitome of man:) And those bikes are awful. One of them started blowing oil out the pipes on our range so not only was it raining, it looked like BP had been at it again. As I explained to the wife I learned how to drive a stick on a 1974 F100 and now I can drive anything with a manual transmission no matter how bad it is; it's the same with those bikes.

Wiley: I'm not sure if she had an intention of riding or not before the class but she did want to be a passenger so I figured it couldn't hurt. She has definitely been bit by the bug now though and has started sending me craigslist links with bikes she likes so it looks like we're going to have to get her a bike (she can't reach the ground on mine to even practice on). I'm going to try to hold off until winter to see if I can get a deal and her 30th b-day is in January but I'm not sure if we'll make it.

Bob
04-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Congrats on taking the class. We had two straight days of pure rain when I took mine. Was fun!

Gas Man
04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Worm I don't know if I would go that far to say epitome. But I know how to teach and my attention to detail is paramount. Further I'm a safety driving instructor at work.

Mudpuppy
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
i agree - a bad day riding always beats a good day working..