PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Troy checking in

MI ER-6N
04-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi all,
Dropping in to say Hello. New rider, just picked up a 2009 ER-6N over the weekend. Been waiting to buy a motorcycle for a loooooong time but was intimidated. Took the MSF course couple of yrs ago and finally decided to buy a motorcycle. Cant wait for the weather to get better. Any tips on breaking the bike in? The manual has its instructions but a lot of "seasoned" riders say just jump right in and ride the bike as you normally would without going too crazy for the first few hundred miles.
Hope to see some of you around this summer!
MJ

Inflame
04-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Welcome!!

I'm from sterling heights next door.

I don't have any tips for a brand new bike though sorry man! maybe the more experienced guys can help ya out.

mishima
04-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Welcome to the board!

I'm a new rider myself. I took the MSF course last July and picked up a used 2005 ex500 Ninja shortly afterwards. I would suggest following the break in instructions in the manual. I know some people disregard this, but it can't hurt. It is probably recommended for a reason IMO. It also would be a good idea to do so if you ever wanted to sell it. I would consider it a plus in any used bike I purchase in the future.

fatmanracing
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey, thats the bike I just traded in =) (ER-6n)
Its a great bike, I had it for 2 years, and loved it.

I have some parts that I would LOVE to sell off, I have some metallic flat spark black parts that I had on my bike as well as a Europe Only Factory windscreen...
I'll make you a great deal on them if youre interested! Ask Paul (Mudpuppy) I make great deals for 2wm board guys =)

fatmanracing
04-06-2011, 08:58 AM
http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums/showthread.php?2150-Project-2009-ER-6n

That shows all the mods, I think I have the Blinker shrouds, and the fender left from the two tone changeover.

There are pics of teh windscreen installed as well, and was never driven before I sold the bike.

Mudpuppy
04-06-2011, 10:06 AM
yeah for sure.. Rich will hook you up..

break in is a divided camp:
1. some say under "x" rpm for first 1,500 miles
2. some say ride it like you stole it out of the gate

This I do know. Newer bikes and cars have far tighter tolerances on their parts now with all the technology of machining, etc. so break in isn't as critical as it used to be. I would say ride it moderately for the first 500-1,000 miles for 2 reasons: 1. to help break in and 2. because you are a new rider. Some varying speed rides like through town, into a 40mph zone, and later in the mileage some freeway runs.

welcome to the site and hope to see you on the road soon.

Gas Man
04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Welcome

I agree with mud.

I break in all motors simply... car, truck, bike, rocket, hd, chopper, no difference.

Don't cruise on the highway or leave it idle for long periods. Good city driving will work. highway is fine, just not for long long distances. The idea is to keep the rpm's changing. Breaks the rings in good.

Don't beat the shit out of it, but don't baby the shit out of it. Just ride/drive it. Don't redline wrap the tach, just give it the beans sometimes, wrap the tach a bit, but not crazy. Don't lug the motor, this is actually worse than redline.

Change the oil & filter sooner rather than later.

Bob
04-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forums!

MI ER-6N
04-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

@rich - thats the plan...have this bike for a few years and get my feet wet...sell it and upgrade later on...i learned how to ride (foolishly enough) on a 07 600 gsxr...so the ern def. feels a little slow...but at least i wont kill myself :)...def. love the bike so far though...just waiting on the weather so i can take it out for longer rides.
..i am int. in the windscreen u have...how much w/install? love the mods on ur bike...ne pref. between the twin bros exhaust & the yoshimura?...thinkng about changn the exhaust & gtng a fender eliminator kit nxt yr...

thanks again for the welcome guys...hope to see u all on the road !

fatmanracing
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Wally has the two borthers on his Kawi 650R(same motor as the ER-6n), yoo should listen to that in person prior to making a decision.

I'd like to get $200 for the windscreen, as I paid way more than that to get it here from Europe, but I might take offers lower. I can help you with the installation if you need it,
but its not hard to install. You WILL NOT see another one in the states most likely, as most people buy the cheaper and mainly ineffective mini windscreens out there.

I have some custom fender eliminator brackets with blinkers still laying around, I'll throw them in if you get the windscreen...

The other parts are easy to swap if youre interested in the blacked out look, or two tone look that they offered in europe on the green bikes.

If you want to come look at the parts in person, you're welcome to do that as well, just send me a PM, and I'll get you my number.

toby
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
:DWelcome!!

wrath
04-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Welcome to the forum.