PDA

View Full Version : To wear or not to wear?

telecast
04-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Helmet law may get repealed. So, where do you stand? Me, I'll still wear, but I have to admit there may times when I don't want to. Like, if I'm going somewhere in town, traffic is pretty slow around here. Maybe way up north on the west end of the UP, cruising around State or National Parks.

What about you?

Gas Man
04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I voted but isn't it the same thread?

http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums/showthread.php?2327-Helmet-law-most-likely-will-be-nixed

Bob should merge em... so the above thread has the poll.

telecast
04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah, his didn't have a poll attached.

Inflame
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll wear it no matter what. I may do it once to see how it feels.

Mudpuppy
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I will wear mine foreva and always

Mad Dog
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
I wear it always. Have ridden in PA without it a couple times to see what it feels like and I feel naked.

Gas Man
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I've tried it in Ohio. Last time I did, I was riding somebody else's chopper thru some corn fields in ohio at 2am.. no helmet. The guy is like 6'5" and I could barely reach his forward controls (4" forward extensions). Thinking to myself, this is how I'm going to die, some animal is going to come out of this field and make me wreck... I'm not going too fast but enough for me to die if I bounce my unprotected/unhelmeted head on the concrete. That was enough for me. I simply couldn't enjoy it for what it was worth.

fatmanracing
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I wouldnt mind riding with no helmet only in a controlled area at very low speeds like in state parks or what not, but 99.9% of the time I'm always going to have that helmet on to protect myself.

dogbreath
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Stuck in traffic on a hot day? It's coming off. Of course, the helmet law didn't stop me from doing that before, it only made it illegal.

Hawgrider
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Its all about rider choice. I ride to Ohio Just for the freedom. Michigan is a nanny state. The actual bill with the 20k insurance stuck to it is a crappy bill. Has anyone priced out what it will cost you for an additional 20k liability insurance? Its not cheap. This bill is similar to Florida. The shame of it all is that sevaral years ago ABATE had a nice clean bill go through the House and Senate only to be vetoed by the wicked witch herself .... The Mole.
Same crap different day in Michigan.

Bob
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I voted for always only because there was no option for "What bike?"

2WHEELFEVER
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I would like to have the right to choose, same thing with seat belt. However im sure i would wear my helmet it cost too much to leave at home -lol-

Gas Man
04-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Its all about rider choice. I ride to Ohio Just for the freedom. Michigan is a nanny state. The actual bill with the 20k insurance stuck to it is a crappy bill. Has anyone priced out what it will cost you for an additional 20k liability insurance? Its not cheap. This bill is similar to Florida. The shame of it all is that sevaral years ago ABATE had a nice clean bill go through the House and Senate only to be vetoed by the wicked witch herself .... The Mole.
Same crap different day in Michigan.

It's NOT extra liability it's a carrying medical coverage on your motorcycle. BIG DIFFERENCE! I carry $25k medical on both my 09 HDs and it's an average of $115 a year. Well worth it! I've been carrying this for many many years this way.

Further, I wouldn't support the bill without the medical insurance piece of the bill.

I DON'T WANT TO PAY, AS A TAX PAYER, FOR YOUR DECISION, WHEN YOU ARE BRAIN DEAD AND ON LIFE SUPPORT. PERIOD. Carry the medical so I don't pay for your poor choice. Plain and simple.

Hawgrider
04-06-2011, 09:13 AM
It's NOT extra liability it's a carrying medical coverage on your motorcycle. BIG DIFFERENCE! I carry $25k medical on both my 09 HDs and it's an average of $115 a year. Well worth it! I've been carrying this for many many years this way.

Further, I wouldn't support the bill without the medical insurance piece of the bill.

I DON'T WANT TO PAY, AS A TAX PAYER, FOR YOUR DECISION, WHEN YOU ARE BRAIN DEAD AND ON LIFE SUPPORT. PERIOD. Carry the medical so I don't pay for your poor choice. Plain and simple.What ever the insurance attachment its complete bull. Im sorry but the line bolded is crap.The Poor choice retoric is crap also this only applys to motorcycles. If that's the case I dont want to pay for an cager accidents they dont wear helmets! Why not? They wear helmets in Nascar If its good for Bikes then it must be good for Cage drivers. Maybe the helmet pushers should be made to wear Helmets while have sex with there old ladys just in case your ol lady bangs her head on the head board and get a concussion then goes to the hospital I sure wouldnt want to pay for that.

Look...... Nothing personal Gas man But the whole everyone knows whats best for me save everyone on the planets stuff gets very old.

One more thing.... If you really think an extra 25k in medical is going to cover you if your brain dead on life support is enough. Ya best redo the math. You would be luckey to have that 25k last for a month and thats streching it. Then who pays ?

Psychodad1961
04-06-2011, 09:30 AM
My twelve days in a coma on life support after a car accident totaled $167,000.00. Average of $15,000 a day. Glad I had $100,000/$300,000 medical coverage. Carry the same on the bike. Sure i pay $600 a year for FC, but if I ever need it........

Hawgrider
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
My twelve days in a coma on life support after a car accident totaled $167,000.00. Average of $15,000 a day. Glad I had $100,000/$300,000 medical coverage. Carry the same on the bike. Sure i pay $600 a year for FC, but if I ever need it........
15k a day.... Amazing!

horrorbusiness
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I always said I would wear it more often than not, but I'm sure if it gets repealed , ill get used to not having to wear it on quick trips, and it won't be missed till its too late.

Psychodad1961
04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, in fairness, I should state that that figure includes 3 surgeries. My wife was in for a day longer than me, with surgeries to her hip/pelvis and right ankle and hers was $100,000.00. No life support, no coma, just rehab.

After God, the first person I thanked for my life was my insurance agent. I tried to buy some crappy 10,000/25,000 PL/PD and she wouldn't let me. Her exact words were: "I wouldn't be doing my job if I sold you that junk."

Gas Man
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
What ever the insurance attachment its complete bull. Im sorry but the line bolded is crap.The Poor choice retoric is crap also this only applys to motorcycles. If that's the case I dont want to pay for an cager accidents they dont wear helmets! Why not? They wear helmets in Nascar If its good for Bikes then it must be good for Cage drivers. Maybe the helmet pushers should be made to wear Helmets while have sex with there old ladys just in case your ol lady bangs her head on the head board and get a concussion then goes to the hospital I sure wouldnt want to pay for that.

Look...... Nothing personal Gas man But the whole everyone knows whats best for me save everyone on the planets stuff gets very old.

One more thing.... If you really think an extra 25k in medical is going to cover you if your brain dead on life support is enough. Ya best redo the math. You would be luckey to have that 25k last for a month and thats streching it. Then who pays ?

Well that is different things for different people. I don't want to pay for your stupid mistakes.

And don't f'in compare a car to a bike. The f'in car has 8 air bags, side impact beams, crumple zones, 5 star rated can support the cars weight on the roof, and a mandated 3 point seat belt. That is like comparing apples to potatoes. The only safety aspect the state law makes you wear is a DOT helmet. That's it. Quite frankly, asking the govt to not require that while still requiring all the above on a car, is ilogical and rediculous. Your logic is flawed and beyond amusing quite stupid. sorry.

I don't think the $25k will cover it. However, I've done my homework. My medical carrier I have for health insurance will pay second after my medical coverage on the motorcycle. In the state of michigan you can cap the medical on motorcycles (different than cars). I also carry first pay medical on my cars. However, again, in the state of michigan, cars don't have a medical payment cap. So whoever pays first will be on the dime for everything regarless of how high the price gets. So I pay for $25k medical on the motorcycle, then after that is surpassed my health insurance thru work picks up the tab. So YES I'm covered for the $167,000 tab. $25k to state farm, then $142k to blue cross. Check the laws, call your insurance agent, become informed. I carry probably 10 times more insurance than the average person. I don't want to be a victum or have to have a "charity dinner" to pay my medical bills.

I'm sorry you don't like the law with the medical piece. I don't like it your way. I may not agree with your political party preference either. But that's what makes things different now isn't it...

Typically medical isn't covered in the ### per person/ ### per accident. It's usually just a coverage for the rider. If you have a passenger that person is covered under your liability side.

snofrog
04-06-2011, 11:21 PM
imho its a persons right to go without a helmet . with that said , if I see someone riding without I will be shaking my head . as far as the argument of not wanting to support/pay for an accident where someone didnt have a helmet , would you be willing to have your life scrutinized to ensure you aren`t costing the rest of taxpayers/insurance companys more than your share ? would you be willing to have your diet, dental ,eating and driving habbits layed out for someone elses review ? again jmho

Hawgrider
04-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Well that is different things for different people. I don't want to pay for your stupid mistakes.

And don't f'in compare a car to a bike. The f'in car has 8 air bags, side impact beams, crumple zones, 5 star rated can support the cars weight on the roof, and a mandated 3 point seat belt. That is like comparing apples to potatoes. The only safety aspect the state law makes you wear is a DOT helmet. That's it. Quite frankly, asking the govt to not require that while still requiring all the above on a car, is ilogical and rediculous. Your logic is flawed and beyond amusing quite stupid. sorry.

I don't think the $25k will cover it. However, I've done my homework. My medical carrier I have for health insurance will pay second after my medical coverage on the motorcycle. In the state of michigan you can cap the medical on motorcycles (different than cars). I also carry first pay medical on my cars. However, again, in the state of michigan, cars don't have a medical payment cap. So whoever pays first will be on the dime for everything regarless of how high the price gets. So I pay for $25k medical on the motorcycle, then after that is surpassed my health insurance thru work picks up the tab. So YES I'm covered for the $167,000 tab. $25k to state farm, then $142k to blue cross. Check the laws, call your insurance agent, become informed. I carry probably 10 times more insurance than the average person. I don't want to be a victum or have to have a "charity dinner" to pay my medical bills.

I'm sorry you don't like the law with the medical piece. I don't like it your way. I may not agree with your political party preference either. But that's what makes things different now isn't it...

Typically medical isn't covered in the ### per person/ ### per accident. It's usually just a coverage for the rider. If you have a passenger that person is covered under your liability side.Well Its seems Ive found the site know it all and sometimes bully ....So be it.
Funny........ Bob was telling me there wasn't any of these types on this site. It seems you are not for freedom of choice without attachments which it what most bikers in this state want. Maybe your just a rider and not a biker .....again your choice. If you like the Government telling you what color underwear to put on in the morning then good for you. So Its obvious we will disagree to disagree. Works for me.

Gas Man
04-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Yep... oh that's it... I'm the site bully. LOL

I'm probably the most biker and generally nice person you'd ever meet. But with your piss poor attitude that may never happen. I don't tend to surround myself with negative people. There is enough stress in life with govt, working, depressing home values, etc... that I simply don't need it during my free & fun time.

I thought about stating reasons for consideration to be a biker, but I think it would fall upon deaf ears.

Gas Man
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
OH and it should be noted... I have been on this site from the begining, I'm the number one poster and have been one of it's largest promoters. Further, we haven't had any real problems, arguements, or even disagreements... then you show up. So who really is the problem? Don't kid yourself or blame shift.

Hawgrider
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
OH and it should be noted... I have been on this site from the begining, I'm the number one poster and have been one of it's largest promoters. Further, we haven't had any real problems, arguements, or even disagreements... then you show up. So who really is the problem? Don't kid yourself or blame shift.Thanks for confirming.

So that entitles you to never be wrong or to call people stupid when they dont agree with your do gooder ways.

Top poster= Starving for attention, Has to be heard , If you dont think like I do then your wrong and stupid...... thats what you called me. What ever!

I can see by reading around here that there has been no arguments as long as nobody disagree with you. As long as your way is the only way then all is well.
Wrong! Im not your drone.

Note to Bob,
Sorry Bob I dont think Im going to hang around this guy reminds me of the experts at MGO

WILEY
04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Hawgrider, Its okay to disagree and it can be done without being disagreeable.

I am anti helmet law myself.

people are passionate about this issue, always have been always will be.

Just think escalating it to some personal level aint necessary.

Hawgrider
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Hawgrider, Its okay to disagree and it can be done without being disagreeable.

I am anti helmet law myself.

people are passionate about this issue, always have been always will be.

Just think escalating it to some personal level aint necessary.I agree and if you read his post again you will see where the personal attacks started. Read below I will bold the personal attacks by the Top poster. Its ok really. Im new here I was invited here by the owner of the board. And out of respect for the boards owner its probably best if I not participate here. I can tell by the Attitude of the sites top poster as he call himself. He seems to rule the roost around here And im not the type to lay down so I'll walk instead. I don't need the hassle........ I belong to plenty of forum boards And If cant state my opinion without being called stupid by the resident know it all then this isn't the place for me. Thanks for your concern.

Typically medical isn't covered in the ### per person/ ### per accident. It's usually just a coverage for the rider. If you have a passenger that person is covered under your liability side..

dogbreath
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I have to laugh at the people who can't stand to be in the same room as someone they don't like. I guess not everyone picks up the skill of 'ignore' when they become a man.

Gas Man
04-07-2011, 04:55 PM
hawg... don't try to pull some bs on a bs'er. I can see thru that crap. Sounds like you're the one that has the issue. I am on countless forums and only rarely do I run into guys like you. I don't care if anybody agrees with me. I only pointed out my post count to show that I'm here all the time, adding to the forum, and haven't had a prolem before you. So just buzz off... I mean really...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/U%20or%20thread%20sucks/care_notnpg.jpg

junkyardjon
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
now this is some funny shit right here ahahahahahahaha
comparing a auto to a cycle just don't work. as for nascar, they also have a roll cage made from D.O.M. tubing. maybe thats an idea, full roll cage on every bike lol.
nobody ever always agree's, i know i don't but i don't take it personal from anybody. most times people take it the wrong way and make it out to be something it's not.

any hoo, i'll always wear my helmet. i've been riding sense a wee little lad on dirt bikes and crashed enuff to know they saved me way to many times.

RedneckMedic
04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Ok now every one is entitled to there opinions and arguments may ensue but to attack chris is idiotic. I really dont see how any one can have a problem with him. Any ways im going to stay out of that but ya cars are way different than bikes. when was the last time your have seen a mom riding a bike full of kids to school or a bike with an entire family on it. cars have safety precautions for a reason and thats because they are an almost necessity to our modern day society. And if people don't have cars they use some type of mass transit system to get where they need to be. "caged" vehicles are peoples' primary mode of transit. People who own and ride motorcycles do so mainly for recreational use. Granted there are some who use their machines as a primary mode of transportation but they are few and far between. The safety precaution are on cars to protect the general populous from an untimely death. those that ride have choice to ride and I do believe they should have a choice to their own level of protection. however, families who pile in the car with mom and dad or even the parents them selves who work farther than walking distance don't have a choice but to endure the the dangers of the road in a "cage" so in that sense I believe the government has a right to try and protect it's citizens from harm. If they didn't they wouldn't have too many people left to pay taxes say they can make money because lets face it the higher ups of this country are running a business.

So in conclusion as much as a fan I am of free choice I would also be pissed if the people who "we" choose to run this state/country turned the other way with our safety I would be quite pissed off.

O and P.S. if you where a flame helmet you will most certainly gain 5hp so always way your skid lid brothers.

Gas Man
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks Lance. I can't expect people that don't know me to "know me" and I won't defend what I know I am.

But you were wrong with one thing... a google search of "family on a motorcycle" will result in many similar pics as this...

LOLOLOL

Always remember...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/internet_serious_mf_business.jpg

Mad Dog
04-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I wear a helmet in my car all the time!
Can ya blame me?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/YugoLift.jpg

But then when trouble starts I always ask myself...
What Would Wyatt Earp Do???
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/wyatt_earp.jpg

Dirty
04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
This is how I "roll"...
http://thekneeslider.com/images/motorcyclerollcage.jpg

WILEY
04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I agree and if you read his post again you will see where the personal attacks started. Read below I will bold the personal attacks by the Top poster. Its ok really. Im new here I was invited here by the owner of the board. And out of respect for the boards owner its probably best if I not participate here. I can tell by the Attitude of the sites top poster as he call himself. He seems to rule the roost around here And im not the type to lay down so I'll walk instead. I don't need the hassle........ I belong to plenty of forum boards And If cant state my opinion without being called stupid by the resident know it all then this isn't the place for me. Thanks for your concern.

Dont really care to enter into the pissin match. I am standing over here high and dry.

Hawgrider
04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
There is no pissing match its over!
If he and his band of merry men want to drag it out thats their problem. This thread was an eye opener. The bikers I ride with are for total freedom with no attachments. I can see that I dont fit in here its that simple. Nuff said.

Chain
04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
If your worrying about "PAYING" for my stupid choice? YOU have way too much time on your hands...(or maybe NOT enough) :) I think there are greater issues one may pay attention too, if so inclined...

It comes down to choice... and from the 30 states that have that right (I think 30 states), I have yet to see the proof of tax payers paying for the "stupid" mistakes of other riders. Out of those 30 states only 2 make you carry extra coverage, Texas and Florida.

This insurance arguement goes dangerously close to Gun owners having to carry extra coverage for owning a potential dangerous tool... (NOT drawing a relationship to the two)

Again choice is the bigger deal here. My opinion.

Chain
04-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Something to chew on....

Facts OPPOSING Mandatory Helmet Laws

(compiled by ABATE of Delaware, Inc.)

* Department of Transportation tests helmets by a 6-foot vertical drop impacting at 13.66 mph. Even at those low impacts, 52% of all helmets tested by DOT have failed and only one helmet has passed since 1984. (DOT Helmet Test Reports 1974-1980)

* Of the top 12 states with the best motorcycle safety records (fatalities per 10,000 registrations), only one has a helmet law. On the other hand, fully half of the worst safety records are helmet law states. (MSF and Motorcycle Industry Council data from 1986)

* A Kansas Health and Environment report to NHTSA stated "... we have found no evidence that the death rate for motorcycle accidents has increased in Kansas as a result of the repeal of the helmet law. We also have found no such evidence on a national basis."

* "WARNING: No protective head gear can protect the wearer against foreseeable impacts. This helmet is Not designed to provide neck or lower head protection. This helmet exceeds Federal Standard FMVSS218: Even so, death or severe injury may result from impacts at speeds as low as 15 mph while wearing a helmet." (Label inside new helmet, 1990)

* "It is concluded that: 1) motorcycle helmets have no statistically significant effect on probability of fatality, and 2) past a critical impact speed, helmets increase the severity of neck injury." (Dr. Jonathan Goldstein, Bowdoin College)

I'm sure you can find studies pointing bias in the other direction, But those must be lies! ;)

Mad Dog
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
This insurance arguement goes dangerously close to Gun owners having to carry extra coverage for owning a potential dangerous tool... (NOT drawing a relationship to the two)

But a helmet could deflect a bullet under the right circumstances.:D
SORRY, I had To.
Let's Ride!!!

Chain
04-08-2011, 12:00 PM
But a helmet could deflect a bullet under the right circumstances.:D
SORRY, I had To.
Let's Ride!!!

Yes sir! ;) you had any good riding weather in your area?

dogbreath
04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
One of my cousins is a nurse at a convalescent home. Almost all of her patients are motorcyclists who suffered a brain-damaging closed-head injury while wearing a helmet during a crash.

I know I'll never convince the Internet but I don't think helmets are as great as people think they are. I wear them to prevent road rash on my head and I never consider a motorcycle ride 'safe.'

snofrog
04-08-2011, 07:11 PM
a year or two ago I had a bug hit my face shield head on . I have no idea what type of bug it was but I am sure it was a direct descendant of a teradactyl it smeared half way around my helmet . even eliminating the safety aspect of it , that is reason enough lol to wear

dogbreath
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
When I lived in Florida I got a couple Palmetto bugs to the face. Gigantic, hard-shelled flying insects. The ichor from one could easily blind you.

Nobody
04-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I wear a helmet in my car all the time!
Can ya blame me?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/YugoLift.jpg

Yugo w/ a lift... makes me idea of tossing the 4wd from a tracker under a festiva I used to own not so crazy sounding... .... I miss my festivas, they were all great cars..

dogbreath
04-09-2011, 12:06 AM
The only car I've had in the category of "Ancient Econohatch" was a Plymouth Horizon set-up for rally. Not quite a rock-crawler Yugo, but pretty awful nonetheless :D

Gas Man
04-09-2011, 08:32 AM
One of my cousins is a nurse at a convalescent home. Almost all of her patients are motorcyclists who suffered a brain-damaging closed-head injury while wearing a helmet during a crash.

I know I'll never convince the Internet but I don't think helmets are as great as people think they are. I wear them to prevent road rash on my head and I never consider a motorcycle ride 'safe.'

I can agree with BOLD very much so.

I will ask the parents here. Do you make your kid wear a helmet on a bicycle? What about a small dirt bike, ATV, or go-cart?

When I lived in Florida I got a couple Palmetto bugs to the face. Gigantic, hard-shelled flying insects. The ichor from one could easily blind you.

And that is a working advertisement to buy your safety glasses from Mad Dog at Value Tech.

Gas Man
04-09-2011, 08:36 AM
OH and you don't want to continue downt he path of trouble... this is why...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/U%20or%20thread%20sucks/AsianCrew.jpg

LOLOLOL