PDA

View Full Version : NICS Denial

Mad Dog
04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
3/30/2011 Post From NY Firearms Forum
I have a NYS pistol permit and over the last couple years have added several handguns.
So I go into a gun store in Feb to purchase a handgun and I get denied. WTF! I call the NICS in Clarksburg Va. and ask why. They tell me they cannot answer that question but I can file an appeal. They send me the paperwork and I proceed to get fingerprinted at the S.P sending the print card and all supportive documents including a copy of my pistol permit back to them. A week later I call to make sure that it arrived. I was assured it did and I should get a resolution in 159 DAYS. WTF! I ask to speak with a supervisor and they connect me with Robin. She proceeds to tell me this is not a backlog situation and that this is just how long these matters take. I am also told at this time that they again cannot tell me what triggered the denial.
So I contact Congressman Brian Higgins and Budd Schroeder with SCOPE. and they go to work on it for me. I get a call last Friday from Sherry and she identifies herself as the congressional liaison for the NICS bureau. She tells me that she has been contacted and has been told to process my appeal and that it will be done Monday (3/28). I called her yesterday and was assured it was completed and that it has been mailed back to me. She also stated that what triggered this denial was a misdemeanor conviction from when I was 19 years old and that the confusion has been cleared up. I am now 53.
I have 2 problems with this situation:
1. How can they strip you of your 2nd amendment right for up to 6 months and not supply you with a reason?
(I was told I could not transfer any other firearms while I have an appeal pending.)
2. How have I been able to transfer over 10 firearms over the last several years if this Confusion existed in my background?
On the advice of Mr. Schroeder and a local town justice I have drafted and will send the timeline of these events to the NRA. Will this go anywhere? Who knows but I feel the NICS system is flawed and in need of revision. For me to sit back and do nothing goes against everything I believe in.
If anyone has had a similar situation I would like to hear from you. According to Mr. Schroeder this is a common occurrence and not everyone gets their appeal resolved this easily.

4/2/2011 Update

Well I got my paperwork from the FBI yesterday and went out today and picked up the revolver I was denied in February and the shotgun I won at the raffle two weeks ago. That PIN number works like a charm. I'd like to put out a Big Thank You to Congressman Brian Higgins and Budd Schroeder, Chairman of S.C.O.P.E. Without their help I would have been waiting till mid summer. THANKS GUYS!!
It's said you can't fight city hall. I say yes you can. You just have to try!

Guys if you have any issues with NICS Checks be it a delay or denial contact your congressman. I was on the phone with a rep from the NRA last week and this is what he suggested to do. Says that the NRA is working on it but needs the support of the people as well. We Can Fight This Bullshit!

telecast
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
That's just nuts. Glad it worked out in the end.

A long time ago I wanted to get a handgun and tried to get a permit. I was told that they only issued permits on a given day at a given time, and subsequent inspections and fingerprinting were also severaly limited. I called MUCC and asked if that was normal. They immediately offered to intervene on my behalf, up to and including suing the city and provide council, free of charge. Unfortunately I had to decline, since I worked for the community in question. Yeah, they even screwed with their own employees.

But the fact remains if you make the right phone calls in these types of situations you can sometimes get around arbitrary obstacles.

Gas Man
04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
That's just BS.... and continues to show how F'ed up NY is. WOW.

Mad Dog
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
That's just BS.... and continues to show how F'ed up NY is. WOW.

Hard to believe but this wasn't New York. It's the Feds.
NICS= National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
Everyone nationwide fills one out when you transfer a firearm from a dealer.
This system is fucked and now Sen Chukie Schumer from NY wants to overload the system with more information.

Gas Man
04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
So I'm still correct in NY F'in it up. LOLOLOL

Mad Dog
04-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Watch it! I'll send Chuckie your way!
This is his bill before the senate!
http://www.nssfblog.com/nssf-statement-on-legislation-to-improve-nics/

Bob
04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
It's horrible how law abiding citizens have to jump through these hoops to legal own or carry a firearm.

Mad Dog
04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm working on these guys. The system needs to be revised and updated. Yes, I do agree we need to keep guns out of the hands of felons. No, law abiding citizens should not be caught up in the shortcomings of an outdated system.
I have contacted the editor of Gun Week (http://www.gunweek.com/)and it looks like I have an interview for an article in the next issue. I'll keep ya posted.

Bob
04-04-2011, 08:40 PM
First I've ever heard of Gun Week. I'm going to check them out.

Only thing this idiotic gun laws hurt is us. Some people will never get it.

Mad Dog
04-04-2011, 08:52 PM
It's been out for about 30 years. Pretty right wing. They get right to the point!
Budd Schroeder, Chairman of SCOPE suggested I contact them. He's friends
with the editor. I think you'll like it.

Bob
04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
In your article did you mention how awesome 2wm.com or czecherboard.com was? hahahahahaha

Gas Man
04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Gun laws only make it worse for law abiding citizens, not criminals. PERIOD!

Mudpuppy
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Gun laws only make it worse for law abiding citizens, not criminals. PERIOD!

qftmft

Mad Dog
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I need to buy something real soon again.
Just to make sure the new PIN still works???:)
Ya know what I mean?lol:D

Chain
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I have noticed an increase in the last year or better, I've had more Delays than I've ever had when transferring or selling to a customer. I suspect it will only get worse.

Mad Dog
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
If your customers feel they are unjustly delayed or denied have them call or write their congressman.
It's easy to do and if enough people complain maybe something will be done.

On a side note I have heard that the NICS dept. is so busy they are hiring out some background checks to Authorized Call Rooms!
What the fuck is that?:mad: Ya get some screwball from Indonesia?????:confused:

Chain
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
It don't really matter if there in the US or Indonesia! They all are hard to understand....NO SHIT!
I HATE IT! I like to do it online, so I don't have to interact with these people........ugh.

HELLBILLY
04-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Its a joke, It took them just over a year to process my appeal when they denied me.