PDA

View Full Version : Mosin-Nagant impulse buy

telecast
03-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I'll post some pics as soon as we get the cosmoline off. 1933, hex receiver, all matching numbers, sling, tools and pouch, two sets of clip pouches, bayonet, and the oil/solvent bottle. Right now you can find these things all over, they're running anywere from $80-$150 and up. Usually the cheaper ones are in poor shape. This one is a VERY nice gun, $80.

These are great rifles. Made in Russia before and during the war, and a lot of other places. Before the Russian Revolution, Russia contracted Remington and Westinghouse to build them, but the orders were never filled due to the revolution. It's the rifle used by their famous sniper featured in 'Enemy at the Gates'.

This one was made in Russia and has the Soviet Union hammer and sickle emblem on top of the reciever.

It shoots a (.30 cal) 7.62 x 54R round. You can buy them pretty cheap, around $85 for 440 rounds of original WWII ammo still sealed in Russian cans, you need a can opener to open them. Some is corrosive so you want to keep it clean.

Can you believe this? We got it at the new MC Sports in Briarwood Mall, in beautiful left-leaning Ann Arbor.

It's one helluva fine day when you can go to the MALL and buy a gun!

dogbreath
03-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Simo Hayha also used a Mosin-Nagant. Mine was $75 and has been an excellent gun!

telecast
03-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Simo Hayha was Finnish, wasn't he?

Which model do you have? This is a 91/30. They're pretty easy to come by right now. I guess the carbines are getting a little tougher to find.

dogbreath
03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
91/30 round receiver

And yeah, Simo Hayha was a Finn who killed a whole pile of Nazis for the Red Army. Refused to use a scope! Legendary levels of badass.

Mad Dog
03-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Cool Man! I want one.

telecast
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah, you do!

My friend's shop has several hundred in stock, but they're the gun only. We liked this one because it came with all the accessories.

I'd love to find the 'sniper version', drilled and tapped for a scope and the bolt handle bends down instead of being straight. I might go down there one day and rifle through (get it?) his stock to see if one got put in there by accident! It's worth a 'shot'.

Also found out 'Mosin-Nagant' is pronounced 'MO-seen Na-GAHN.

Stupid Russians..... :D

dogbreath
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, it's not "MERS-in Nuh-GANT" ya fuckin hick :P

Mine has the 'sniper style' bolt handle. In CO I shot one with a trigger I will envy for years.. so buttery smooth ;_;

telecast
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Is yours drilled and tapped for a scope? Form what I've been reading the sniper versions are rare but fakes are running rampant. Sounds like it's really tough to tell, they were just a 91/30 with a turned down bolt handle and scope.

Also, found this about Simo Hayha. He didn't kill Nazi's, ya fuckin' hick, he killed Soviets...with their own gun!

"It was during the Winter War (1939–1940), between Finland and the Soviet Union, that he began his duty as a sniper and fought for the Finnish Army against the Red Army. In temperatures between −40 and −20 degrees Celsius, dressed completely in white camouflage, Häyhä was credited with 505 confirmed plus 37 unconfirmed kills of Soviet soldiers."

dogbreath
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Ah, the article I read also exaggerated his kill count quite a lot.

Mine isn't drilled for a scope, the bolt/handle is one I found in a box of bolt/handles.

telecast
03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Evidently the Finnish credit him with quite a few more, but the above number is 'confirmed'.

Of course it's from Wikipedia, so it MUST be true....

telecast
04-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Grabbed another one Saturday. This one is a 1929 model, called an Ex-Dragoon because it was a Dragoon model converted to a 91/30 in a Soviet armory during the war. It was a matter of numbers, they simply didn't have enough rifles to go around so anything that was broken was sent back for refurbishing. Only a little more rare than a standard 91/30, not much additional value but it's pretty cool.