PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes my moronishness surprises even me....

telecast
03-16-2011, 07:54 AM
I finished up the league yesterday, shot pretty well. I had to shoot 3 weeks ahead due to upcoming work schedule, I wasn't sure I would be able to get out there.

Anyway, every since I've been out there I've wondered about the distance. I was told 30' at the beginning of the league, so there's where I zeroed my pistol. Every since then when I'd go out for practice I'd set up a target frame at 30', but always thought it looked too close. Or, when I'd go to the indoor range to shoot the league I'd think it looked farther.

I shot week 8 and scored my normal abysmal score. Shot week 9 and did a little better, about 20 points. All this time I'm seeing high hits, just outside the black by an inch or so. Since I still can't focus well on the target and sights at the same time (even with the new glasses), I figured it was me.

3 targets into week 10 and I finally decide to ask what the distance is.

Fifty feet.

Crap.

At that distance the bullet is still rising, it hasn't reached the top of the curve. I adjusted down on the last two targets and put 9 of 10 rounds in the black, ended up scoring my best round yet. It's too bad I didn't ask earlier, like, about 6 weeks ago.

I looked at the scores so far and I'm about in the middle of the field. They don't post actual standings so I'm not sure where I am exactly, but I'm doing about as well as I thought I would, not as well as I wanted to. What pisses me off is I'm a good judge of length and distance. I knew damned good and well it was different than what I'd been told, but I didn't move on my gut. A lemming!

Now that it's over though I can mount my red dot and get it sighted in. The nest league starts the second week of April, rimfire only.

Psychodad1961
03-16-2011, 08:24 AM
That's not moronishness (did I spell that right?), that's gullibility. You believed what you were told at the beginning. No fault on your part.
By the way, good luck in the upcoming league!!

Thruxtonbill
03-16-2011, 08:33 AM
:)I'm not surprised at all.

telecast
03-16-2011, 09:03 AM
That's not moronishness (did I spell that right?),

I think so, since I just made it up we can spell it however we want!

:)I'm not surprised at all.

Didn't figure you would be....

SportstersPaul
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Good for you Tim, kinda means you CAN hit the broadside of the barn now doesn't it!!!!

Mad Dog
03-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Will you be shooting the outdoor league this summer. It's a real trip shooting that tiny hunk of lead at 25 & 50 yards.

telecast
03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
The only outdoor pistol league they do is 'What You Carry', 21' speed fire.