PDA

View Full Version : Helmet

boomer
11-14-2008, 12:08 AM
I just found out im going to need a new helmet,* Mine isnt DOT approved :(* oh well, time to go shopping.* * Any ideas on whats good,* it has to be full face and has to be able to fit my head, most extra larges that i have tried on from all kinds of brands have fit.

So im open to opinions, tell me what you think is best and why.* I prefer something thats quite on the freeway but also decently breathable.* its got to be inexpensive so nothing over $250 ish.

Thanks guys/gals in advanced!

11-14-2008, 06:30 AM
I wear....sorry...

I rock a Scorpion right now, EXO-1000 Full. Comfy, quality, alot of nice features, but loud wind noise. I was really disappointed by the wind howl, and the no-fog face shield fogs pretty easily.* All the shit I heard about Scorpions, I thought I was making a good choice, but I won't buy another one.

I replaced an Icon Full Face with it. The Icon was nice, comfy, quiet, quality, but the face opening seemed small in comparison to the HJC I had, meaning, when looking over your shoulder, you really need to turn your head as the small opening cuts into the peripheral vision. Other than that, I really liked the Icon, and maybe the head turning issue is just because as I age, I seem to be getting physically stiffer.

Before the Icon was an HJC CL-SP full face. Comfy, quality, roomy, good vision, shield was easy to change, lightweight, relatively quiet. You weren't so much aware you were wearing a full helmet as much as the other two.

I had a chance to do an impact test with the HJC, (hit by a car while riding, I hit the pavement head first at about 50mph) and the helmet saved my ass. Didn't break or crack, didn't allow any damage to my head.

Also, I've heard after about a year HJC's tend to become loose fitting on your head. Shouldn't be a big deal since they all have replaceable pads anymore, but to each his own. Mine was only a week old when I crashed it and replaced it, so I didn't wear it long enough to experience any loss of fit issues.

I did not experience a change of fit with the Icon and I rode that for a year.

That's what I've used and how I feel about them.

Helmet pricing is all over the map; they all have models in and around your price range, and there are tons of other manufacturers to choose from as well.

Alot of the helmet thing is personal preference, so after some online research, Id suggest going to a dealer and looking at, holding, and trying on several different models, especially for the fit. A medium HJC could fit different from a medium Icon and so on.

Then of course there's the color and graphics choices too.* ;)*

Bob
11-14-2008, 09:44 AM
I vote for Scorpion.* I have the EXO-400.

boomer
11-14-2008, 08:10 PM
got any pics :D

MG_Custom_Marine
11-14-2008, 11:41 PM
For the $250 range, you can get a KBC, HJC, Scorpian, or some Icons.* Regardless of what people say about the helmets being junk or not good or whatever... They are all Snell and DOT approved helmets.* They are perfectly reliable and safe helmets.

I am not arguing against the fact that they are on the same level as Suomy, Arai, Bell, Shoei or any of the more expensive helmets... These helmets provide protection well beyond the bare minimum standards to achieve Snell or DOT approval, and they are much nicer helmets, both fit/quality and Safety.* You get what you pay for.

I would recommend a good helmet over any other piece of safety gear, but I would still bet money that ANY of the helmets listed above, would help save your life in a head injury accident.

I myself wear only Shoei, Bell or Suomy.

Gas Man
11-15-2008, 02:48 AM
I have a nolan modular that I can use for cold riding.* Its the nicest helmet I've ever touched.

An old school rider I know just got a seer... says its comfortable as all hell.* They have this nice strap at the bottom of your skull in the rear.* Keeps the helmet from rotating.* Guess these are what all your law enforcement wear.
http://www.superseer.com/

Berto
11-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Look for a Shoei... they can be found on clearance for $250, I know as I have bought them.* If you go with a plain color, you most likely will find one.* I also have a KBC, which is good, but has a little too much ventilation for the Michigan colder weather.* My HJCs are nice and have never failed, but honestly the build quality is better on the Shoei.

It's 5 years old and still works great... has over 20,000 miles on my head and it still feels awesome.*

I recomend you try and see them before you buy them.* Try them on, open the visor and try to take the visor off and put it back on.* My KBC had a recall on the ratchet system... again, not as good build quality.

A good helmet can last you years.* The investment is worth it.

My two cents...

detdrbuzzard
12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
hjc cs12 white , hjc cs2n silver, and hjc cl15 black. looking to get an hjc ac3 also

bettyboop1w
12-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I have the HJC CS and it is comfortable for me it is snell and dot approved.* Go to Jafrum website or ??? DB what is the other site we us.* They have some nice prices now.

Bob
12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Scorpion for me as well.

bettyboop1w
12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Hey guys got a coupon for 10% off at jafrum the code is Holiday.

detdrbuzzard
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
do they have a web site?

boomer
12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
google search it, or here it is-

http://www.jafrum.com/

bettyboop1w
12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks boomer.

snofrog
01-01-2009, 09:07 PM
For the $250 range, you can get a KBC, HJC, Scorpian, or some Icons.* Regardless of what people say about the helmets being junk or not good or whatever... They are all Snell and DOT approved helmets.* They are perfectly reliable and safe helmets.

I am not arguing against the fact that they are on the same level as Suomy, Arai, Bell, Shoei or any of the more expensive helmets... These helmets provide protection well beyond the bare minimum standards to achieve Snell or DOT approval, and they are much nicer helmets, both fit/quality and Safety.* You get what you pay for.

for fit and quality I will conceed price moves you into a better fit and higher quality overall but there is no correlation between price and safety

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html)

read up lol

kaw_boy
01-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Scorpion EXO700* if you shop ebay you can find one under $100 and it's Snell and DOT!!!

boomer
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
i was shocked to find out mine wasnt dot approved, it says it on the back, but i think it was a fake (federal offense to fake one)* but i didnt mind to much so im not going to report them unless i get pissed one day and feel like it.

detdrbuzzard
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
got a pic of it and what brand is it so we know not to buy one

boomer
01-03-2009, 04:09 PM
pyrotech...* cheap ebay special...* well its snell rated so i will use it for my car racing, but not for riding. get a pic up soon.

B-Kinger
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Yea excellent writeup, and man did they piss off the helmet manufacturers with that piece. I have an HJC, a Shoei, and a Nolan. The HJC was the cheapest, and it works just fine, no gripes. The Shoei is very nice, but it does have a lot of wind noise, and the ventilation wasn't nearly as good as they claimed, but it's still quite acceptable. I sorta shim the visor open just a touch for a little more air. I completely agree with Gas man, the Nolan is far and above the best. Worth every red cent.

Thruxtonbill
01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Anyone own an HJC and if so do you have the model with the interior flip down sun visor, I really like that concept. I know scorpian makes one as well, i just like the quality of the HJC better and the scorpian does not fit my melon well.
I wear an arai now and love how quiet and how it fits, just get tired of changind and carrying two visors (sunglasses don't work for me)

B-Kinger
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Just saw some Nolans at the bike show yesterday, they have em like that. Those particular helmets were $350 though, for various reasons.

detdrbuzzard
01-06-2009, 07:21 AM
saw the hjc like that but none of my hjc helmets have it

Gas Man
01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
You have to be carefull with helmets.* Not all are created equal or just so.* Equal in quality and just so in size.* Some are made for round heads and others for more narrow football heads.* So while you may love one it may not fit the next guy regardless of size.* Fitment is probably the number one problem people have and don't realize it.*

B-Kinger... I'm sorry you must agree with me.* I still remember the first day it happened to me, when I realized I was right... oh... what a day...* its like the heavons opened up above me and showered me with... well, needless to say its different with everybody... so I'm sorry!!* LOLOLOL

B-Kinger
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
HA HA HA! Again, I am forced to agree with you on helmet fitment, definitely one of the most important yet frequently overlooked considerations. Too tight is so uncomfortable that it's distracting, not to mention restrictive and hot, and too loose is downright dangerous, either from falling off during a crash, or more likely from moving around on your head as you blast off into the calling wind with your big ass football head. LOL!!!

sarge
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm Lookin for a helmet that will take the impact of a Big Black Peterbuilt at 75 mph when it falls off my bike. Would that be DOT approved? ::)

meinschaft
02-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Sarge,

Take a look at this site. They review a lot of helmets and have loads of info about them:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

detdrbuzzard
02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
even the fitment between different helmet models of the same manufacture can be different. i have two hjc ff helmets , the cs12 fits me perfect the cl15 is just a good fit

meinschaft
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I bought an HJC AC-3 from Recreational Leisure on Grand River in Farmington a few years ago (whatever happened to them, by the way?). The salesperson spent a good 15-20 minutes switching internal pads until the fit was [i]perfect.[u] I could have gotten it cheaper online but it would not have fit as well.

Moral of this story? Sometime the lowest price is not the best deal.

Berto
02-05-2009, 11:57 AM

for fit and quality I will conceed price moves you into a better fit and higher quality overall but there is no correlation between price and safety

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html)

read up lol

You are both correct... Like i said, a leftover Shoei can be had for $200-$300... try to find one of those... unless you want something very color specific.

Inflame
02-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Just bought an Arai Tommygun... Gotta admit, this helmet is AMAZING.

I haven't had a chance to ride with it, but I wore it for about an hour yesterday and WOW I could really fall asleep with it on haha.

My other helmet is a Spar-X and it's eh, fairly comfortable, fit is alright, visibility is alright too... I guess it's just an alright helmet, but I don't think I'll ever wear it again haha maybe on a fairly bad weather day, so I don't get the Arai dirty.

Mudpuppy
02-14-2010, 11:43 PM
www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

get a shark

RoadZombie
02-15-2010, 12:20 AM
www.motorcyclecloseouts.com (http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com)

get a shark

Hmmmm...just might do that. Put a bid in on a Suomy on eBay. If that doesn't happen, gunna have to look into the Sharks. I take it they're comfortable?

Inflame
02-15-2010, 03:07 AM
www.motorcyclecloseouts.com (http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com)

get a shark

www.sportbiketrackgear.com > www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

AND

STG is local :)

Mudpuppy
02-15-2010, 10:43 AM
dude sharks are the best helmet out there by far

comfort - check
dot approved - check
top of the line safety - check

Suomy, Arai, Shoei are all just over priced for the cool graphics.. Not a big fan of any of them.. I always wore HJC because safety wise just as good as any of the 3 but way cheaper pricing.. Then I got a killer deal on a Vemar - $500 helmet for $100 - light as shit and I saw the results of a crash at mid-ohio at 160mph and the helmet definitely works - the guy was riding again the same day after the crash.. But Vemar has kind of faded.. And Twisty was the one who told me about Shark and he has tested Shark over and over at high speeds and they work, they are lighter than the Vemar (which I didn't think was possible) and they are comfortable as hell.. Will be my next helmet for sure.. I know quite a few people who bought Shark helmets off www.motorcyclecloseout.com (http://www.motorcyclecloseout.com) and they love them..

Sportbiketrackgear is another good source..

RoadZombie
02-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Hmmmm...duely noted. I currently have a couple full faced helms...one is a TMS eBay special and the other is a Shoei RF-R that looks like a 4 year old ate a box of crayons...the 64 pc. box, not the shitty 8 pc. box, and barfed on it (came w/ the Ninja). I'd love to sell the damned Shoei and put that towards a new helmet, but not sure how much I'd get for it...it's pretty well used, and like I said...it has the technicolor vomit graphics. Tempted to just toss it on fleBay w/ a $25 starting bid and see where it goes. I'll be damned if I'll ever wear the hideous thing and I've already got more than enough helmets.

Mudpuppy
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
used helmets really don't sell very well.. people are skeptical about them - was it dropped? was it in a crash?

helmets are perishable like vegetables.. they have a shelf life.. most helmet companies and similiar say you should get a new helmet every 2 years.. most knowledgable motorcycles riders will say no every 5 years..

its really up to you - its your head - what's it worth? $1 or $1,000?

personally i try to keep up with the every 2 years if i ride alot and if not 3 or 4 years.. i think 5 is too long but it depends on the variables..

but ebay and craig's list are unique unpredictable animals just like people - so can't hurt to throw it on there and see what you can get.. best way on ebay is start it at $0.01 and let the market determine the value.. you can set a price that you won't sell it under (forget the name) so if you say you won't take less than $25 or $100 or whatever just set it at that and see what happens..

Inflame
02-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I never said anything bad about Shark my man. I was just saying, from the looks of it, STG has better prices that the website you posted. Also, STG being local, you can try on helmets + other stuff before you buy.

Every head is different too. My friend swears by ICON and he's worn possibly every other helmet. ICON just fits him right.

IDK if you have seen this or not, but, certain HJC helmets have been banned from the LRRS.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=25781

- Bart

Mudpuppy
02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I never said anything bad about Shark my man. I was just saying, from the looks of it, STG has better prices that the website you posted. Also, STG being local, you can try on helmets + other stuff before you buy.

Every head is different too. My friend swears by ICON and he's worn possibly every other helmet. ICON just fits him right.

IDK if you have seen this or not, but, certain HJC helmets have been banned from the LRRS.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=25781

- Bart

Nope I wasn't disputing anything you said just telling what I know.. and I use STG alot for stuff. Motorcycle Closeouts is hit or miss. I saw Shark helmets on there for obscenely low amounts before. Just all in the timing. And very true every head is different. You can use local bike shop to try different ones out then buy on line to save $.

RoadZombie
02-15-2010, 08:04 PM
used helmets really don't sell very well.. people are skeptical about them - was it dropped? was it in a crash?

helmets are perishable like vegetables.. they have a shelf life.. most helmet companies and similiar say you should get a new helmet every 2 years.. most knowledgable motorcycles riders will say no every 5 years..

its really up to you - its your head - what's it worth? $1 or $1,000?

personally i try to keep up with the every 2 years if i ride alot and if not 3 or 4 years.. i think 5 is too long but it depends on the variables..

but ebay and craig's list are unique unpredictable animals just like people - so can't hurt to throw it on there and see what you can get.. best way on ebay is start it at $0.01 and let the market determine the value.. you can set a price that you won't sell it under (forget the name) so if you say you won't take less than $25 or $100 or whatever just set it at that and see what happens..

I just want something comfortable and affordable. My skid-lid would just look silly on a rocket ;-)

Bob
02-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I just want something comfortable and affordable. My skid-lid would just look silly on a rocket ;-)

I really love my Scorpion and I got it at Sportbiketrackgear.com as well. They have awesome Scorpion closeouts. I painted mine flat black when I started riding the cruiser. lol

RoadZombie
02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
I really love my Scorpion and I got it at Sportbiketrackgear.com as well. They have awesome Scorpion closeouts. I painted mine flat black when I started riding the cruiser. lol

LoL I am considering doing that with the Shoei. My eBay cheapy is flat black and I love the look (not a fan of graphics), it's just not that comfortable. Still have a few weeks to get it sorted ;-)

Mudpuppy
02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Everyone I know that has Scorpion likes them as well too..

Rider
02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Everyone I know that has Scorpion likes them as well too..

Scorpion or Shark will be my next lid. And yes that will be a full face on cruiser.

Mudpuppy
02-17-2010, 04:44 PM
I couldn't ride with anything but a full face regardless of what I rode.. but then again I am not out to look cool or pretend I am one of the sons of anarchy or anything either..

Rider
02-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I couldn't ride with anything but a full face regardless of what I rode.. but then again I am not out to look cool or pretend I am one of the sons of anarchy or anything either..

Werd.

telecast
02-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Wow, that's some pretty closed-minded bullshit right there. One doesn't have to want to prove anything to choose a helmet.

I can't imagine ever riding with a full face.

But then I'm not out to prove I'm joe racingbike or anything.

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow, that's some pretty closed-minded bullshit right there. One doesn't have to want to prove anything to choose a helmet.

I can't imagine ever riding with a full face.

But then I'm not out to prove I'm joe racingbike or anything.

Fo' shizzle.

My normal lid on the Deuce is a non-DOT skid lid...with the obligatory $1 DOT sticker strategically placed. Not out to "prove" anything other than the fact that I'm not a huge fan of wearing a helmet. I do have the full face, but more for keeping the weather (cold...rain...etc) out of my face. On the rocket, I'm sitting up higher...without a windsheild...I just don't see anything other than a closed face helmet being comfortable...June bugs in the face at 60 can't feel good. If I was REALLY concerned about safety, I wouldn't ride a bike. I've read all the literature and seen the movies...yes, helmets are safer. I'm aware of this. *shrug*

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
...also, keep in mind I am a single guy with no dependents. If I had kid-lets, I may be inclined to error more on the side of safety. Nor do I ride like a toolbox. Burning rubber and popping wheelies may be fine on a closed course with pristine conditions, but not for me and not on the street for sure. Different strokes for different folks. Granted, anyone who I talk to who is looking to get into riding, one of the first suggestions I make is to get a good helmet. Do as I say, not as I do I suppose. Ha!

Thruxtonbill
02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I like where this thread is going:D

Bob
02-17-2010, 08:28 PM

I could never ride without one either man. I just feel so much more protected with the full face. But I ride with a lot of guys that get cluster-phobic in a full face and could never wear one. To each their own. Go to Ohio and it seems like nobody wears one. It's all choice.

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
about 90% of the time i wear the one in my sig which is just a novelty helmet unles it is really cold out the i have a fulmer full face i wear. however for this season im going to pick up a couple of random goofy helmets for fun like a 3/4 with a rebel flag, a german helmet, and a pink passenger helmet for the old lady.

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
I could never ride without one either man. I just feel so much more protected with the full face. But I ride with a lot of guys that get cluster-phobic in a full face and could never wear one. To each their own. Go to Ohio and it seems like nobody wears one. It's all choice.

Agreed. I don't fault anyone for their preference. I probably wouldn't wear one at all if MI was an "helmet optional" state. Although, it depends on where I am in MI. Locally I usually just don the skid-lid, but if I head more into the Metro area I do have a DOT 1/2 helmet that I wear. Out by me, its a lot more laid back...less traffic...etc. Heading further towards Livonia/Novi/etc, it gets a lot more congessted and cagers seem a lot more stupid. The little bit of protection is mildly comforting.

Bob
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Agreed. I don't fault anyone for their preference. I probably wouldn't wear one at all if MI was an "helmet optional" state. Although, it depends on where I am in MI. Locally I usually just don the skid-lid, but if I head more into the Metro area I do have a DOT 1/2 helmet that I wear. Out by me, its a lot more laid back...less traffic...etc. Heading further towards Livonia/Novi/etc, it gets a lot more congessted and cagers seem a lot more stupid. The little bit of protection is mildly comforting.

Yeah I ride with a lot of guys that think I'm nuts. I wear a fullface, leather Cortech with CE padding in the back, elbows, and shoulders, protective riding boots, gloves and usually shin guards under my jeans. LMAO

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 08:56 PM
about 90% of the time i wear the one in my sig which is just a novelty helmet unles it is really cold out the i have a fulmer full face i wear. however for this season im going to pick up a couple of random goofy helmets for fun like a 3/4 with a rebel flag, a german helmet, and a pink passenger helmet for the old lady.

Watch it around WWII vets w/ the German helmet. Had a buddy that was shot at by a vet having flash-backs and/or delutional. Fortunately, the guy was in his 80s, had piss-poor eyesight, shook like an old shovelhead, and fired birdshot.

The Rebel flag one is fun too. Used to wear a rebel flag do-rag all the time under my helmet...lets just say, people are morons. If people would actually read a history book and knew what the Confederacy stood for it would be amazing.

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 08:58 PM
you mean it doesn't stand for hanging minorities from trees and such.....shucks

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah I ride with a lot of guys that think I'm nuts. I wear a fullface, leather Cortech with CE padding in the back, elbows, and shoulders, protective riding boots, gloves and usually shin guards under my jeans. LMAO

I think it depends a lot on the "genre" you've been exposed to the most. Sounds like you've spent most of your time on or around sportbikes. I've always been around cruisers/Harleys....black leather everything and beanie helmets are the norm. LoL I am looking for more sportbike oriented gear for the Ninja...and who knows, it may carry over onto the Harley.

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 09:09 PM
you mean it doesn't stand for hanging minorities from trees and such.....shucks

...well ya are downriver. LoL

This coming from a guy in a trailer living on the border of Livingston county. Haha!

But in all seriousness, there was more than a couple times I pulled my helmet off and the first thing out of a passer-by's mouth was something to the effect of "Are you racist?". LoL

Bob
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Watch it around WWII vets w/ the German helmet. Had a buddy that was shot at by a vet having flash-backs and/or delutional. Fortunately, the guy was in his 80s, had piss-poor eyesight, shook like an old shovelhead, and fired birdshot.

The Rebel flag one is fun too. Used to wear a rebel flag do-rag all the time under my helmet...lets just say, people are morons. If people would actually read a history book and knew what the Confederacy stood for it would be amazing.

Yeah I had a buddy that used to have a bumper sticker of the flag that read "Heritage not hate".

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Not even so much "heritage"...the South secceeded due to the US federal government infringing on states' rights (...slavery happened to be ONE of these rights that was actually of VERY little importance). They were the original "punks" who gave the middle finger to Uncle Sam. As someone who is pretty much despises authority, they're my kinda people. ;-)

Bob
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Not even so much "heritage"...the South secceeded due to the US federal government infringing on states' rights (...slavery happened to be ONE of these rights that was actually of VERY little importance). They were the original "punks" who gave the middle finger to Uncle Sam. As someone who is pretty much despises authority, they're my kinda people. ;-)

No, I think it meant he was from the south and it was for that and not because of hate. LOL

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, of course I can't speak for his case...LoL Got ahead of myself there. ;-)

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 10:07 PM
i have a license plate in the back window of my ranger and whenever people ask me if im racist lately of just been telling them ya (even though im not) just because they asked a stupid question plus it usually leads to a lot shorter convo

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Stupid questions get stupid answers. LoL Can really mess with people and ask if they want to come lynching with you. Haha!

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
ya and it says "dern tootin im a rebel" on it but im mean come on people im a hardcore racist with that saying on there

Mudpuppy
02-18-2010, 01:16 AM
to each their own for sure.. whatever works for you..

my philosophy is this - if less gear was better or other gear then racers would wear less gear.. so i gear up every time i ride.. the only time i am not in full gear meaning leathers is if i wear my icon recon jeans for a casual ride.. and i have a textile jacket that i wear if i think it might rain or is raining..

telecast
02-18-2010, 08:37 AM
my philosophy is this - if less gear was better or other gear then racers would wear less gear..

Fair enough, but let's take it to the other side as well. Cops wear half helmets. In this day of big brother protecting workers from themselves, does anyone think that MIOSHA would allow that if they weren't safe?

What about a community's insurance company? Most cities are self-insured, and since a large claim will directly affect their coffers they tend to err on the side of caution. The people who administer these programs set guidelines and limits. Again, if it were unsafe, they sure wouldn't let it keep happening.

I don't care what you choose to ride in, but I don't expect you to care about what I choose to ride in either.

Can't wait for summer. T-shirt, jeans, boots, half helmet.

RoadZombie
02-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't care what you choose to ride in, but I don't expect you to care about what I choose to ride in either.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Same views on religion...you can believe, or not believe in whatever you like. Just respect my views. I'll ride with anyone...geared to the 9's or just rockin' a pair of jeans and a shorty helmet. Personal choice...ain't freedom grand? ;-)

Mudpuppy
02-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree - wear what you want or don't want to wear. Your choice. But I highly recommend and promote AGATT - All Gear All The Time. Skin grafts and the clean tanks you have to sit in - whatever they are called - the tub of solution to clean out your wounds - are not good. And in riding I have found anything can happen and its usually not you its the other guy texting, talking on the cell, adjusting his radio, thinking about what's for dinner, etc. I just feel more protected in full gear. And full gear has saved me more than once.

The Cops are a bad example. They are the highest skilled riders out there. They have way more training than any of us that take some BS MSF course to learn how to ride 5mph in a parking lot then we are given the green light to take a 200hp rocket onto highways and byways - know what I mean? I see a lot of people on motorcycles that have no business riding a motorcycle. As long as they ride behind me or in the other direction I am good with it.

Thruxtonbill
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I agree, wear whatever you want. My feeling is, if you're going to wear a helmet, wear a good one, might as well. I also agree with MP, ATGATT, and even though I don't wear full leather (the best) I do wear armored textile every time I ride. Boots and gloves are a must for me as well. I can't imagine an open face helmet at 100+.

telecast
02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
The Cops are a bad example. They are the highest skilled riders out there. They have way more training than any of us that take some BS MSF course to learn how to ride 5mph in a parking lot then we are given the green light to take a 200hp rocket onto highways and byways - know what I mean? I see a lot of people on motorcycles that have no business riding a motorcycle. As long as they ride behind me or in the other direction I am good with it.

It's an excellent example. Rider's skill isn't the point. The point is that neither MIOSHA nor the insurance administrators would allow cops to wear half helmets if they were known to be unsafe.

I can't imagine an open face helmet at 100+.

You know of some roads posted 100+ MPH around here?

Bob
02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Fair enough, but let's take it to the other side as well. Cops wear half helmets. In this day of big brother protecting workers from themselves, does anyone think that MIOSHA would allow that if they weren't safe?

What about a community's insurance company? Most cities are self-insured, and since a large claim will directly affect their coffers they tend to err on the side of caution. The people who administer these programs set guidelines and limits. Again, if it were unsafe, they sure wouldn't let it keep happening.

Can't wait for summer. T-shirt, jeans, boots, half helmet.

Miosha? Look at the hard hat we wear in the field. I have a really good hard hat. But if a 4 ton beam falls on me it won't do anything. LOL I don't follow what the government does. Those half helmets are for sure safer than no helmet though. I mean the same cop is also riding around in a short sleeved shirt, at least ours do.

Not that I care what other people do I'm just saying that government isn't a good example to follow for safety. ;)

Gas Man
02-19-2010, 12:26 AM
I wear half, 3/4, and modular full face... I prefer half.

But for me... bottom line. I don't give 2 fucks what anybody wears or doesn't wear. AS LONG AS, I tax payer don't have to pay for his/her stupidity.

If joe don't want to wear a helmet, joe falls down and goes boom. But joe don't have med ins at all, nor on his sickle. I don't want joe leaching off me, Chris tax payer.

Solution:

If you want to go helmetless. You should have to pay an extra fee on your lisc and carry medical ins on your sickle. PERIOD! The fee goes into the state veggie fund, and the med ins on the sickle... obvoius!!

telecast
02-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Miosha? Look at the hard hat we wear in the field. I have a really good hard hat. But if a 4 ton beam falls on me it won't do anything.

Well, that's kind of silly. If a 4 ton beam drops on you nothing will save you short of an Abrams Tank. It will, however, stop a pair of channel locks or a hammer from killing you or giving you a nice closed-head injury.

At any rate, the discussion is devolving. I took exception to this statement:

"I couldn't ride with anything but a full face regardless of what I rode.. but then again I am not out to look cool or pretend I am one of the sons of anarchy or anything either.."

Which suggests that anyone choosing anything different than a full-face helmet is merely a posuer. I am saying that's not the case. I prefer fresh air and being able to hear. I don't even like putting the ear/neck padding in because of that, but I do when it's cold. My helmet of choice is a Scorpion EMX100, or whatever they call it. It's somehwere between a 1/2 and 3/4 helmet. I bought it because I wear glasses made of glass instead of plastic and it has an integral shield.

Full face helmets aren't as safe as everyone thinks, either. When I was in my 20's full face helmets were just becoming popular for street use. A kid in my town went down and hit face first, the chin protection hit the pavement, snapped his neck forward and killed him. Would a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet have saved his life? No way to know, but at the time the broken neck was attributed to the full helmet. There is always going to be a case where one design would've been better than another for a particular circumstance. None of them are perfect.

Thruxtonbill
02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Pirates and Power rangers,
This thread seems to have touched a nerve.
Again let me say "I don't care what you wear" it is a free country and as long as you abide by the law, it's all good.
Let me first say I am on OSHA certified instructor and in most cases they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, enough said.
Second, lets look at Moto GP, the most advanced MCs in the world, built to go around the track as fast as humanly possible, the equipment they use is second to none. Crash protection is not taken lightly with these guys.
My point is you will never convince me that a full face helmet is not as safe as an open.
Tele, no there are no 100+ posted speed limits, but if I wanted to go slow I would ride a crusier.:D

RoadZombie
02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
My cruiser has no problems hitting 100+ MPH...just sayin' ;-)

telecast
02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
it is a free country and as long as you abide by the law, it's all good...Tele, no there are no 100+ posted speed limits, but if I wanted to go slow I would ride a crusier.:D

Huh? :confused:

Thruxtonbill
02-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Huh? :confused:
I knew you would catch that contradiction. Ok, so you have never gone faster then the speed limit?
Would you ride on Mi roads with no helmet?

Thruxtonbill
02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
My cruiser has no problems hitting 100+ MPH...just sayin' ;-)
Did you see the smiley? It was a joke RZ.

meinschaft
02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
1. So we are using cops (wearing half-helmets) as a standard of good decision-making and intelligence? I'm scared.

2. FZ1Bill - control yourself, dude. :cool:

Gas Man
02-19-2010, 02:54 PM
For me riding with or without gear is the balance of protection vs comfort/desire.

But as I also said... I have 3 different types of helmets. I prefer the half over all else. I prefer the 3/4 for long road trips, as a buffer for the wind. The full face modular is real nice... I just don't use it much.

telecast
02-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I knew you would catch that contradiction. Ok, so you have never gone faster then the speed limit?

No.:rolleyes:

Sure I have. I just don't plan on doing 100+ MPH on a regular basis.

Would you ride on Mi roads with no helmet?

Probably not. I used to ride in Texas with no helmet, but that was 30+ years ago and things seemed much different in 1978. Maybe I was just young and invincible at the time, but with the addition of cellphones, texting and just all around stupidity, I can't see myself doing it anymore. When I drive the highways and see some dickhead with a paperback book spread out on his steering wheel it scares me to death, and that's in my full sized pickup.

If Michigan had no helmet law I might ride around my small town without one, and I may be tempted if I was up north away from the traffic. Here in wunnerful SE MI though, I just can't see it anymore.

Back in the day I was a card carrying member of ABATE. I'm no longer interested in making that argument.

From our previous exchange, I'm not trying to convince anyone that a full face is not as safe as a half. My point is that none of them are perfect, and under the wrong circumstance none of them will save you.

From that same exchange, in a past job I was responsible for developing, writing, and maintaining safety programs, as well as training personnel to meet with MIOSHA standards. So if you want to play that card it isn't going to work. I don't always agree with what they say, but you have to admit workplace safety is far better now than it was 30 years ago.

meinschaft: No, we're not. Helmet choice isn't up to the officer, it's chosen by the department based on input from their insurance carrier and MIOSHA. It's based on balancing safety with their ability to see and hear what's going on around them.

I'd like to point out that my participation in this thread was non-existent until it was suggested that people wearing anything other than full face are doing so only to to look cool. I take exception to that.

Gas Man
02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Sure I have. I just don't plan on doing 100+ MPH on a regular basis.

Meet ya there then. Cause I surely plan on doing so. :D

Back in the day I was a card carrying member of ABATE. I'm no longer interested in making that argument.

I could never stand behind ABATE and their BS they spew out as non-truth fact. You will ALWAYS be better to have a helmet on.

Non directed:

As far as skid lid vs dot big foam. I would not rely on the skid lid shell to absorb the energy of the impact. Further, I need the foam of a DOT to absorb the initeria of my head.

RoadZombie
02-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Did you see the smiley? It was a joke RZ.

Yup...ya see the winking smiley? Caught the fact you were joking...was just playing along.

RedneckMedic
02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
tele im with you not being able to here i hate when my buds wear a full helmet and at a stop light i ask something and he cant hear me and i cant hear him.

toby
12-25-2010, 08:02 AM
:cool:l,ll stick to the old half skid lid

MMissile
02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Gary Busey. Poster-boy for the no-helmet crowd. I prefer not to drool.........go figure.