PDA

View Full Version : LCP Range Report

telecast
03-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow, that little pistol is a lot of fun to shoot! My daughter didn't like it much, but I did. It jumps pretty good, you definitely want to be holding on tight. Obviously it's not a tack driver by it's very nature, but a lot of people don't like them for a range gun because there's a lot of recoil. I didn't find it so punishing as to not be able to shoot it extensively.

Only got to put about 40 rounds through it, we were swapping back and forth between it, my MKIII and a little Jennings J-22, and I had to knock off and go in to shoot the league then get her back home for an appointment. There's a bit of a learning curve since it fires in double action all the time. You have to deal with the longer trigger pull, something I'm not used to in a semi-auto. Shot two hand, strong hand, and weak hand. Did ok, it'll take a lot more shooting to get comfortable with it.

I don't care for the sights, especially the front. Outside in the bright sunlight it virtually dissapeared when aimed at the black rings of a target. I found it easier to aim at a spot in the white part of the target. I'm going to try some white-out on the front, and if it works I'll get some regular sight paint for it.

No jams or issues, it performed perfectly.

Gas Man
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah... that's why I got mine with the CT laser on it.

telecast
03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I looked at the CT but decided against it. You will never use that gun in self defense past about 5 yards. You won't use sights in that distance, odds are you won't even sight the gun, it'll be a pull and shoot from the hip. You had better be able to hit body mass from 5 yards with no sighting system at all.

The sights are perfect when the gun is used for what it was designed, in other words, you wouldn't use them. But no good for target shooting, and I just want to plink around and get a feel for it.

Gas Man
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh for sure. And I only carry for self defense. Otherwise, I only shoot to keep my edge for self defense. That's why I own and carry.

telecast
03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Oh for sure. And I only carry for self defense. Otherwise, I only shoot to keep my edge for self defense. That's why I own and carry.

You don't do any recreational shooting? I love to shoot. I had forgotten how much until I got back on the range. It's a blast. With a .22 you can spend $20 and be out at the range way longer than you'd care to. I take a .22 and others and mix it up. Sometimes I take 'em all!

SportstersPaul
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
That's it! The guns are what brought out the secret desire to frquent those "Cowboy bars", right?

Mad Dog
03-04-2011, 11:25 AM
"it'll be a pull and shoot from the hip"
Tele, i realized just how hard that actually is at the end of last year at the outdoor range. I'd like to think i'm a pretty good shot off hand but to unholster and shoot from the hip was a humbling experience.
I plan on spending a lot of time on that this season outdoors. This is the ultimate self defense move!

telecast
03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
That's it! The guns are what brought out the secret desire to frquent those "Cowboy bars", right?

No, that was brought on by your chaps. I figured you'd fit right in.

"it'll be a pull and shoot from the hip"
Tele, i realized just how hard that actually is at the end of last year at the outdoor range. I'd like to think i'm a pretty good shot off hand but to unholster and shoot from the hip was a humbling experience.
I plan on spending a lot of time on that this season outdoors. This is the ultimate self defense move!

Exactly. Shooting the LCP made me realize that it was designed to point and shoot, and not necessarily in the normal way. The sights are an afterthought, almost like they put them on because people would expect it to have them. There's no way anyone could 'aim' that pistol in the real sense of the word. Just draw, get it in front of you and pull the trigger. But before I do that I need to know where it's hitting, hence the minor sight upgrade. Cabela's carries sight paint, I'm going to pick some up.

Gas Man
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't really shoot for "fun". While I do enjoy shooting, I do it to keep up on the skill.

I guess it goes back to never having time off work too. Hard to enjoy some things when you're on a time limit. Which I guess is another negative to shooting at the range where you rent time.

And as far as the sights... yeah again why I have the laser. I can shoot it from the hip and know exactly where it is going to go. Not in general EXACTLY.