View Full Version : Around the thumb

Hawgrider
02-24-2011, 07:50 AM
State Routes 29 and 25

To: Sebewaing Michigan

Length: All day ride. Miles unknown

Type: Paved

Comments:
You start out with views of Anchor Bay then you follow along the ST. Clair River. The water in the river is this amazing blue color. There are several free road side parks to stop at and take in the sights. Also a Michigan State park on this route.

You will come to the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron Michigan. Don't cross the bridge unless you have all documents needed to leave the country and want to go to Canada.

Continue in a northerly direction through Port Huron and the road will change from state route 29 to 25 head north to Lexington. There is a nice free Park in town with a long pier to walk out on and enjoy the view of Lake Huron.

Ride to the tip of the Thumb and you will come to Port Austin. You will find a couple of bars with good grub. Around the Thumb to Caseville home of the Famous Cheeseburger Festival continue to Sebewaing and you can figure out were to go from there? Bay City? Back down state ? its up to you.

Worthwhile stops:
Numerous Road side parks give you access to the river and Lake Huron.
Port huron has several Historic stops and a great view of the Bluewater Bridge and has views of the Canadian side as well.
Lexington is a Cool town. Nice historic buildings in many of these small towns along this route

Gas Man
02-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a good ride...

WILEY
02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Another nice ride.

The bluffs overlooking Lake Huron are fantastic.

Lumpy
02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I took 90 across to Lexington last year before riding up around the thumb and returning home down 24. It was early summer and I was gone 7 or 8 hours. There was a volleyball game going on on the beach so I had to spend a few minutes watching the bikini clad players. I got horribly sunburned that day as I had forgotten sunscreen.

Lexington is nice and I want to go back and spend a little time poking around town. I was a bit disappointed in that I thought I would have more views of the water but it was still a nice way to spend the day.

junkyardjon
02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
sounds like a nice ride for sure. you'll past a few members house's on the way, mine included lol. i'm in marine city

sprink
02-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Thumb Run is a nice ride. Port Hope and Port Austin are worth a stop. Had a nice meal in Caseville last time.

Winger47
02-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Don't forget the ice cream parlor in Grind Stone.

SportstersPaul
02-26-2011, 12:45 PM
We usually do several "Thumb runs" a year, and yes- the General store ice cream is great- on the way into Grindstone. Always a good ride and for me coming up from Algonac is simple, and I can do it during the week while everybody else is at work, so the roads are wide open.