PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to adjust clutch lever Woodhaven MI

XS650
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Anyone know how to adjust clutch lever Woodhaven MI bike is a 2006 sv650s it seems as the clutch is always pulled in right now but lever is still loose

fatmanracing
02-20-2011, 09:21 PM
you should have a jam nut and an adjustment screw.

XS650
02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
you mean down by the engine or up top near clutch lever was messing around with both of those and was making it worse i think i just really dont feel like taking it to bright powersports for an adjustment cuz i know they would charge me 300 bucks for the damn thing would rather pay someone 100 bucks from here

fatmanracing
02-21-2011, 10:45 AM
if I were closer, I would offer to help.
I had an issue right after I got my bike where the cluch would not disengage, as the jam nut had come loose and the cable had adjusted itself at the lever. there should be a little freeplay, but not super loose. you also should have a dial where you can change the engagement point/effort I believe, at least I do on the ER6n

XS650
02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
ya i read on how to do it but still lost lol i am dumb when it comes to this stuff the rest i have figured out so far but dont really want to fuck this up since its could get me killed lol

Gas Man
02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Many of us here could do the job. However, you should teach yourself a few things. Ever consider getting a service manual for your bike? Perhaps a childons or something.

fatmanracing
02-21-2011, 06:19 PM
I guess my thoughts are you have to start somewhere, but basic clutch cable adjustment should be known prior to removing levers =)

Where the heck is woodhaven anyhow?

Gas Man
02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah how did he get the lever off without knowing.

next to brownstown, trenton, flat rock.

junkyardjon
02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Many of us here could do the job. However, you should teach yourself a few things. Ever consider getting a service manual for your bike? Perhaps a childons or something.
yeah what he said.

pickle.of.doom
02-22-2011, 12:37 AM

You have an adjustment screw and locking nut like in the bottom left of this pic?

If so, loosen lock nut ( big one ), turn in small one until there is no play in clutch lever, then back it out until there is about 1/16th inch play (slop) in the lever. Tighten lock nut.

If you are trying to say that there is already slop in the lever and it still feels like your clutch is slipping, then its not just adjustment that is required.

Gas Man
02-22-2011, 08:31 AM
POD... he removed the lever for powder or something and needs to put it back on. So i'm betting it's not just the fine adjustment on the lever, he needs to get into the large adjustment at the pivit at the trans.

XS650
02-22-2011, 09:33 AM
i will try it tommorrow to damn cold to do it today and it was easy to remove the lever just afraid to do the adjustment myself i dont want to burn the cluth up and have a 250 dollar fix later down the road, i would like to learn to do but would like to learn from someone that knows what there doing i learn alot better from seeing t down and hands on then to read a book and give it a try thats why I am asking for help on here so anyone near me want to show me how to do this?

XS650
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
hey gas man if i find a way to get it over to your house or your shop would you be able to help me out with this so I can learn on what to do since your in brownstown i could prob just push the bike there lol

Gas Man
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
We can do it at your house. It's just at the moment I don't have time. In the near future I'm sure I can find some time. It really isn't much of a job.

XS650
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
hey if it gets done by beg of may I will be fine lol obviously would like done before that but I am not in to much of a rush since its going to be cold for a while lol thanks a ton

WILEY
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
What you are really talking about is adjusting the cable.

Would be a good time to check the actual clutch adjustment.

The clutch is adjusted at the clutch(not sure where that is on a sv650) would imagine its under a cover and requires backing off a jam nut, adjsuting and the retightening.

Gas Man
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I think that's what he needs Wiley.

But the problem is, and no offense to XS (which we need to change his screen name with Bob), that we're dealing with a guy that doesn't know the difference between things or his way around the shop. So that makes it tuff. But hey, we all have to start somewhere.

WILEY
02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I think that's what he needs Wiley.

But the problem is, and no offense to XS (which we need to change his screen name with Bob), that we're dealing with a guy that doesn't know the difference between things or his way around the shop. So that makes it tuff. But hey, we all have to start somewhere.

Yup, Gather wrenching is something new to XS.

Just helps you and folks helping you to start with the right terminology so everyone is on the same page.

XS650
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
thanks everyone i can do somethings around but nothing dealing with clutches lol simple stuff lol but thanks all for the help sorry i dont know shit but all my friends that knew how to work on bikes all moved south lol so now I got no one

XS650
02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
i know all the tools just dont know how to fix them by reading i have to see it done in person very hand on learner

WILEY
02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
XS,

Dont worry. Folks here will try to walk you through stuff.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions and trying to learn.

I just hate seeing people take stuff to be worked on and getting ripped off by shops. because they dont know better.

Like was mentioned previously, get a shop manual. Also check Youtube for videos with hands on demonstrations of how to tips.

Keep at it, Its better to be willing but not able than to be able but not willing.

XS650
02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
very good quote at the end willey ya thanks working on shop manual now so its getting there lol

Gas Man
02-23-2011, 09:10 PM
We'll get you going man.

RedneckMedic
02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Its funny cus as I read this thread theres an add for custom adjustable clutch levers up top haha

XS650
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
ya you got to love when that happens damn smart computers