PDA

View Full Version : New Rider, old bike.

boomer
11-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Hello all!* Im a new rider with an old sports bike.* I rock a 1985 Ninja 600r.* I love it, and it was dirt cheap, so i dont mind it being old.

Im glad i found a Michigan motorcycle forum,* Cool to see other guys that have a love for the freedom of 2 wheels.

Im a student at MSU, Mechanical Engineering is my Major, for now, but that might change.

My Hobbies are my car; 2003 wrx with a couple mods,* and* My bike, which is older than i am.* And the Previous owner did a hack job on the wiring, so i gotta redo it the lights.

Here is a pic of my bike when i bought it, a couple weeks ago.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/ ... Right2.jpg (http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l214/boomerw/85NinjaRight2.jpg)[/img]

11-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Welcome Boomer, and nice bike ya have there. I kinda like a lot of the older ones myself and have been leaning towards a late 80's Interceptor for myself too.

Your bike looks to be in pretty decent shape, is it your first bike?

detdrbuzzard
11-09-2008, 12:39 PM
hello and welcome to 2wheel mich boomer, thats a good looking older ninja you have there. look below at what i ride.......not exactly new either but most were cheap

boomer
11-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Welcome Boomer, and nice bike ya have there. I kinda like a lot of the older ones myself and have been leaning towards a late 80's Interceptor for myself too.

Yeah its my first bike, i just got my endorsment and i wanted a decently quick bike, nothing insane, that would haul my 270 butt around.* And this does the trick.* 80s interecptors are so sweet, i test rode one and loved it, but they guy wanted like 2.5k for it, and it was pretty beat up.*

The bike looks ok from that side, but when you see the other side, its scratched up quite a bit.* I bought the bike in IN for $630, so i feel like i got a good deal.* The turn signal wiring is all crazy, and the speedo cable is broken, and the clutch might need to be replaced.* But other than that its perfect.*

Do you guys have like annual meets, or something?* I went to the exeed bbq this year im my wrx, didnt see any bikes (lots of rain).*

Im in lansing so if anybody knows a fun place to meet for bikes, other than the gut,* then id be up for hanging out with some chill people.* Lots of my hs friends are getting bikes this summer and we are probly going to do some group rides, maybe a Cedar Point Trip.

Bob
11-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Welcome!* Love the bike man!

Are you originally from the Lansing area?

scpumm
11-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Nice bike. I think with gas prices the way the are there will be lots of older bikes coming out of storage and put back on the road. That
Ninja is a perfect size bike for all around use. Enjoy!

Bob
11-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Yeah its my first bike, i just got my endorsment and i wanted a decently quick bike, nothing insane, that would haul my 270 butt around.* *And this does the trick.* 80s interecptors are so sweet, i test rode one and loved it, but they guy wanted like 2.5k for it, and it was pretty beat up.*

The bike looks ok from that side, but when you see the other side, its scratched up quite a bit.* *I bought the bike in IN for $630, so i feel like i got a good deal.* *The turn signal wiring is all crazy, and the speedo cable is broken, and the clutch might need to be replaced.* But other than that its perfect.* *

Do you guys have like annual meets, or something?* *I went to the exeed bbq this year im my wrx, didnt see any bikes (lots of rain).* *

Im in lansing so if anybody knows a fun place to meet for bikes, other than the gut,* then id be up for hanging out with some chill people.* *Lots of my hs friends are getting bikes this summer and we are probly going to do some group rides, maybe a Cedar Point Trip.

Sounds like you got a great deal!

We have not had any annual meets because this site is still really brand new.* I'm hoping to do something this spring.* Nothing insane like the Xceed BBQ's, when the weather is nice, but just a little meet at a park or something.* There was actually a few of us that where going to go to the Xceed BBQ this year but the rain was a huge turn off.

boomer
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Welcome!* Love the bike man!

Are you originally from the Lansing area?

Born and Raised on the west side.* But now im on the east side, at MSU.* *

Are there many college kids on this? Or is this more of a chopper/cruiser site?* I dont mind either way.* I enjoy a nice cruise every now and then.

Nice bike. I think with gas prices the way the are there will be lots of older bikes coming out of storage and put back on the road. That
Ninja is a perfect size bike for all around use. Enjoy!

I have seen so many old CBRs and Ninjas this summer.* A couple Yamahas and a lot of Nighthawks.* This summer i saw more old bikes than i saw HDs, but nothing can quite match the number of Gixxers I saw this summer.

Bob
11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
This is an everyone and every bike site. ;)

bettyboop1w
11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Warm welcome Boomer, stick around nice people here.* We have a meet and greet section in the events page.* If u have ideas put them on the table.* We have a flyer out so copy it and pass along to your rider friends.

We don't mind what you ride just as long as you ride safe. 8)* I did the Cedar point ride this year on my 79 GL1000, it was so nice, until the night and the rain storm...funny story ;D