PDA

View Full Version : mechanic????

XS650
02-12-2011, 06:52 PM
okay so i need some help with my bike i live in woodhaven its a 2006 sv650s just charged battery but when it hit start button it makes no noise even after the fuel injection i dont have my clutch lever on because its off to chrome so I am going to try it when it gets back next week but still have a problem with my projector headlights so if anyone is local and able to help me it would be greatly appreciated

only one head light was on then it went off did not know if the wiring is funky on it or not so let me know, dont really have a way to transport it lol but i can get a truck just no ramps and wont fit in my van lol

chris

SportstersPaul
02-12-2011, 07:16 PM
A shop manual is essential, it'll have trouble shooting tips as well as schematics. With electrical issues you always start working back from GROUND. Check you battery cables first, both ends and also the cables themselves to see if they show any evidence of corosion. Does your clutch lever need to be pulled in at start up?

Fix
02-12-2011, 07:58 PM
If you're messing with wiring and all of the sudden nothing works on a charged battery, check your fuses.

Gas Man
02-12-2011, 09:29 PM
He said there's no clutch lever on it... but you're trying to start it. most of those metrics have safety switches on the clutch handle... so that you have to have the clutch pulled in to start. You probably need to bypass that.

XS650
02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
i think it got bypassed last time my friend worked on it and switched the wiring for not needing clutch pulled in and everything works minus lights and starting turn signals brakes, horn kill switch andf everything so I would assume its just the clutch lever but i will keep you updated on whats going on if not is anyone local to take a look at it or do i need to just take it to a dealer?

WILEY
02-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Need to check Neutral safety switch.

Know alot of modern bikes wont let you start em in any gear other than neutral.

Headlights go off because of a relay that cuts em out so power doesnt draw when starter is activated. (or did you mean headlight went off onad sayed off???)

XS650
02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
headloight stayed off i think i have a bad set of ballasts or something i just went out to try it today and i turned bike on and i head a clicking from the fuse kinda slow clicking would this mean bad fuse???

WILEY
02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Check your battery connections.

Make sure they are tight.

XS650
02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
ya they are nice and tight when i get my clutch lever in from the chromer i am going to try it again hopefully it works lol

junkyardjon
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
put the lever back on and undue the by-pass job. then we'll go from there
headlight, is there power (low & high beam) and ground at the headlight?

XS650
02-15-2011, 08:26 AM
i am not sure i will check when i get home waiting for my other parts to come in so i am not doing 4 dif jobs at 4 dif times

XS650
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
okay so updates are as follows got ne battery still waiting on cluth lever to get here but headlights come on just like they should and blinkers and brake lights work so now i have to wait to see if when my clutch lever comes it fires up i sure hope so, volt meters read 13 on battery when not in on posistion but when in on posistion it reads 12v and so does by the fuse box I am going to go out tomorrow after work and see if the battery reads the same and that will determine if i have something draining the battery and if i do i am just lost on what to do

WILEY
02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Load test battery as well.

Voltage readings only will give you trouble. Spent 2 days chasing ghosts on a bike that battery read good voltage, but failed a load test.

SportstersPaul
02-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Make sure you've charged the battery all the way full, then if in doub you can stop by the local auto parts store and have them "load test" it for you.

XS650
02-17-2011, 07:53 AM
okay cool i will do that went out to battery yesterday and it read 11 after just sitting in bike hooked up to the terminals

fatmanracing
02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
My factory battery on the ER-6n only lasted like 1.5 years... POS.
Replaced with Gel cell battery, and battery tender... no problems so far.

XS650
02-17-2011, 09:20 AM
ya i just bought a yusa battery so we will see how it goes