PDA

View Full Version : The league so far

telecast
02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm in the third week and things are going...poorly.

As some of you might recall I bought a target pistol that was firing in bursts. I returned it and got a new one the week before the league started. I tried to bench the new one three times prior to the league and was thwarted by weather, my daughter's furnace, and the range being closed due to a 3-D Shoot.

So, week one I shot bad. Week two a little better, and week three in between. The upside is I have one helluva large handicap. If I'm figuring it right, it's about 25 points per target. That's out of a possible 50. The downside is it's kind of embarrassing, although I've seen a few other guys shooting just as badly.

After week two I realized part of my problem. It's been so long since I shot, I didn't wear glasses before. Now that I have them I can see the target or the sights clearly, but not both at the same time.

Answer is simple. I went and bought a red-dot, no magnification. Perfect. Problem: Now that I've started with iron sights I have to finish with iron sights. The other option is to waste the three weeks and start over with the red dot. But...should I?

I know the gun is shooting high. I plan to get out this weekend and bench it, then do some target shooting. Once I do I can probably compensate for the eyesight issue. If I keep my ironsights I get the huge handicap, and I know I'll get better as the weeks go by.

If I install the red-dot and reshoot the first three weeks I could end up doing a lot better and lowering my handicap considerably.

I think if I start shooting better after benching the gun I'll leave it as-is. If I shoot a score of 25 on a target my score is a perfect 50. Odds are I'd NEVER be able to shoot a perfect 50 on a regular basis, even on my best day. If I don't get any better and it's obviously an eyesight issue, then I'll probably waste the first three weeks.

SportstersPaul
02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Tim: Had a similar situation with my muzzle loader, a sidelock, which I absolutely refuse to scope. Got a proper set of fiber optic sights from Thompson Center and immediately brought my groups down from 8 inches to 3. Would they penalize you for those as well? It's HELL being old, not much truth to "the golden years".

telecast
02-10-2011, 09:14 AM
LOL! The gun does have a fiber optic front sight! I might change the color though, it came with a selection. The orange sucks indoors, might go to green or yellow. They wouldn't care, or even know for that matter.

Mad Dog
02-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Go with the red dot. Everyone is using them and to not would be a huge disadvantage. Red dots are great for older eyes. Post some of your targets or PM them to me. I can help you out with what you might be doing wrong. The most important thing is trigger and breath control. Is the trigger contacting the center of the first pad on your finger? A common mistake when starting out is to squeeze the grip as you squeeze thr trigger. This will cause you to pull shots down and right. Check out this link. Click for left or right hand shooting.
http://blog.hsoi.com/2009/06/15/correcting-handgun-shooting-problems/

telecast
02-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks MD. Not really a new shooter, just trying to get my sea legs back!

I swapped out the dark red light pipe for lime green, that made a huge difference for indoors. Today I'm going to take it out and bench it, then shoot a few mags and see how it goes. If there's a big improvement it'll stay as-is for now.

telecast
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Guns for dummies: Sighting in helps.

Benched it today, what a difference.

Bob
02-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey Tele, how does the league work? Like what are you shooting at? Different things from different distances or the same target from the same distance? I'd like to try something like that some day.

telecast
02-15-2011, 07:58 AM
It's just an indoor pistol league, paper targets, 5 rounds per target, 5 targets per week, 10 weeks. Shooting @ 30'.

First 3 weeks (15 targets) set your handicap. Handicap is 80% of the difference between your score and perfect. They use the total of all 15 targets. From what I get they figure it like this: You shoot 500, perfect is 750, difference of 250, 80% = 200. 200/15 targets = 13. So, you'd have a handicap of 13.

Handicapping is over now. I have a 25 (yes, 25) handicap. I did not sandbag, see above. I shoot tonight and can't wait to get there and see how I do with a properly sighted pistol. Now we'll know just how crappy a shot I am.

You can shoot any caliber you want up to .45 except for magnums. NO jacketed bullets, plated are ok. So far in the two weeks I've been there no one has shot anything other than a .22. Cheap to shoot and plenty of decent target pistols available out there. Mostly Rugers and Brownings, but I did see some cheap-ass 1911 model .22 that spent most of its time stovepiping and just generally being a piece of crap. Screw that, you can get a Ruger 22/45 for under $300, I think Terry gets about $250 for them. Why spend money on something that doesn't work because it looks cool?

You can shoot multiple weeks in one day if you want provided there aren't a bunch of people waiting. I shot two weeks my first time out in case something happened and I couldn't get out there. Shooting starts at noon and goes unitl 7:00, first come first served.

League cost is $30 for members, $40 for non-members. That's for all 10 weeks. I saw a guy over on MGO trying to advertise a new league at some gun shop, $30 each week and you had to buy ammo from them. I don't think I know anyone who can afford to dump $300 on a pistol league and then pay a premium price for their ammunition.

I still have the eyesight issue to deal with, but the yellow front sight seems to help. The other thing I found is that the cheap safety glasses I'm wearing are having a big impact. Last week I took them off when no one was looking to shoot my last target and scored a 30 with an unsighted pistol. I need to get some new prescription glasses that I can wear while riding and shooting, something with the clip on side shields so I can wear them on project sites too.

telecast
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
50% improvement today! Damn I'm glad I benched it last weekend. Now it does look like I was sandbagging. With my handicap I shot 273 out of a possible 250....

Now I needs me some new glasses.