PDA

View Full Version : Open track days?

fatmanracing
02-05-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm just curious if there are many open track days in Michigan, perhaps with instruction as well?

I rode dirt most of my childhood, took a long break, and I've been on a street bike again for the last 2 seasons, but I wouldn't mind some track time to learn more....

Anyhow, thanks for the info guys.

Gas Man
02-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Mudpuppy will be able to help you with this.

Mudpuppy
02-07-2011, 09:11 AM
There is a great cheap track day coming up in April.

Cons
Weather is sketchy - some years it's 60 and some years it snows
Dan, who runs it, hasn't updated his site since 1962 and the info usually comes out mid-March so not a lot of time to plan

Pros
You ride with AMA pros and get excellent instruction
Cheap track day at around $25 - it used to be $5 but it has gone up
Variety of levels you can ride in anywhere from no gear to pro racer

Mudpuppy
02-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Sorry I got distracted by a co-worker asking me to do work - the nerve!

Anyways, info here on the entry form from 2008 (like I said not a top of the line website): http://www.teamchicago.tv/2008%20School%20entry.htm

And here is where the 2011 info will appear when it does (I check the site often and if I see something I will post it up): http://www.teamchicago.tv/home.htm

I would guess $30 this year and Saturday, April 2, 2011 is the school day and Sunday, April 3, 2011 will be test and tune for around $65 (open day to just ride but this is limited to intermediate and advanced - as in you better do REALLY well at the track school on Saturday in minimum of group 3 and FULL GEAR is required on Sunday - it's basically two sessions: numbers and no numbers. Meaning no numbers is intermediate/advanced riders who don't plan to race this year and numbers meaning advanced/expert riders who are racing. If you have never done a track day don't plan on Sunday, you will get passed a lot and you have to hold consistent lines).

Other track info is available at: www.sportbiketracktime.com

They pretty much are the sole track day organization in Michigan for Grattan and Gingerman. They also do days all over the country at other tracks. Out of state there is a variety of organizations like NESBA. If you are looking for specific info let me know. Also if you have a date in mind let me know and I can tell you who will be there - I always know someone at the Michigan tracks for every date there is on their calendars. So you can at least know someone who will be there. I always plan on being at Team Chicago for the April track day and test and tune. Great way to start the riding year.

You will be totally amazed at how much you learn in one track day and how much better you will ride on the street after.

fatmanracing
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I really appreciate all the info, I really want to attend a couple of these this year. Where are the team chicago events?
The sportbiketracktime site is really good too, man, I can't wait for warmer weather now... I'll go through my schedule and see what weekends I have free.

sprink
02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I'd love to do the group 5. I will never race, but would love the instruction. Couple questions....
Would they let me run my sportster? If so, I understand the tape/mirror removal, but how can I safety wire my oil plug? It is a plastic plug at the end of a hose, under the bike. The trans plug is more "wireable".

Mudpuppy
02-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Team Chicago school is at Grattan in Belding, MI in between Lansing and Grand Rapids. Grattan is basically SE michigan's home track. Some might claim Gingerman but mose will claim Grattan.

Yes you can run your sportster in group 5 and other than tape or mirror removal you don't need safety wire or anything special. Hell you can wear jeans as long as you have long pants, boots, gloves, helmet. Group 5 is open to any and all. I have seen fully dressed harleys riding in that group. Just don't expect too much speed. Still fun though to ride around the track - trust me it is challenging even at low speeds. My brother in law rode his sportster there a couple of years ago and it blew his mind how tricky it is. He said man I really can appreciate what you do now.

If any or all of you want to meet up at a bar and discuss track days I would be more than willing to do so. Or I can post whatever info you want here. I have done about 15 track days at Grattan, Mid-Ohio, Gingerman, VIR. With different organizations. I know a lot of people that do a lot of track days and/or race. So if I don't know something specific I can get you the info.

Best way to dip a toe in and check it out is Team Chicago school in April. You will figure out if you like it or not and meet a lot of cool people (and a handful of assholes who think they are god's gift to motorcycles and you should worship their altar of speed).

fatmanracing
02-09-2011, 09:04 AM
It would be good to discuss them in person, that is for sure, do you guys get together ever? =)

As far as god's gifts to motorcycling, those are people I never listen a word from. I don't need to ride at 10/10ths ever, no matter what, my brain is always bigger than my balls, I've seen too many people wreck their rides drifting on track, and I know what it takes to fix that. But also, I like my body in one piece, so I'm good with not being mr top speed, thats for sure. I just want to learn from instructors, they always have something to offer me, something I can learn from them.

sprink
02-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I am never gonna really race, but I love twisty roads. We don't really have any in MI, but I have been down to the Dragon and loved the roads in that area. SE Ohio is really nice too and a lot closer. I think a little professional instruction would help a lot.

Of course I would like to get together with the group sometime!

Bob
02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I built up a ton of confidence and experience on my very first track day it was really good. I went with Apex 2 Apex but I don't think they do any in Michigan any more. They are fun for sure but can get expensive. At least for me they where. I'd leave on a Friday evening for the 3 hour drive and have a hotel stay so I could be at the track at 7 Saturday morning. So on top of the track time there was a hotel night and dinner and such. I think some tracks have camp grounds you can stay at for cheap though. However if you do this I'd have a camper with a bullet proof lock or find a way to lock your tent because you'll have guys like Mud already all excited about spending a weekend with dudes in leather that he might try and get to you while you're sleeping. Just be warned.

I think if I was to ever own a race bike again it'd be a drag bike. But the road tracks are really fun and you learn a ton.

sprink
02-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I built up a ton of confidence and experience on my very first track day it was really good. I went with Apex 2 Apex but I don't think they do any in Michigan any more. They are fun for sure but can get expensive. At least for me they where. I'd leave on a Friday evening for the 3 hour drive and have a hotel stay so I could be at the track at 7 Saturday morning. So on top of the track time there was a hotel night and dinner and such. I think some tracks have camp grounds you can stay at for cheap though. However if you do this I'd have a camper with a bullet proof lock or find a way to lock your tent because you'll have guys like Mud already all excited about spending a weekend with dudes in leather that he might try and get to you while you're sleeping. Just be warned.

I think if I was to ever own a race bike again it'd be a drag bike. But the road tracks are really fun and you learn a ton.

That's what I'm talking about.

If you share lodging stuff like this gets cheaper. Also more fun telling lies about the days events.

SportstersPaul
02-10-2011, 09:24 AM
I am never gonna really race, but I love twisty roads. We don't really have any in MI, but I have been down to the Dragon and loved the roads in that area. SE Ohio is really nice too and a lot closer. I think a little professional instruction would help a lot.

Of course I would like to get together with the group sometime!

Greg: Been itching to do this as well, something about teaching an old dog new tricks? Let's keep our ears open and I think early April may be a good thing. Gotta watch out for them boys down south of us- that Tim always wants to stop at those "cowboy bars"!

fatmanracing
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Anyone want to schedule a meeting to discuss the April track day, and future events?

Mudpuppy
02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes for sure. We can schedule something. Maybe I can get some other track a holics to come and share their wisdom as well. I am traveling this week, next week and for the next 2 weeks after that. So it would have to be like mid March - like March 15 or later. By then I should have info on the Team Chicago day at Grattan as well. Just let me know when and where.

As far as sharing lodging I know Bob and Gasman like nut to butt type of shit but I am more of a my own room or in worst case butt to butt type of guy. They try to project their gay fantasies onto me for some reason.

I never plan to race either. Trackdays are way more than just racing. It is a chance to let your bike do what it does best all in one direction with bikers having the same thing in mind, run off in case you go wide or get sketchy, no cops, no potholes or gravel and an ambulance on standby (although in 15 some odd trackdays worst I ever saw was a broken wrist and I have seen my share of crashes). It also lets you learn the limits of your bike so you can apply it to the street and save your ass one day when the old lady on the cell phone cuts out in front of you. You will learn massive amounts of info in just one trackday and become a much better rider.

fatmanracing
02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I have the first weekend in March open if someone wants to start a G2G to talk about open track days. I have the 1st weekend in April open for that event too... Looks like this might be a go for me =)

SportstersPaul
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Will keep checking in on this thread for follow up, thanks.

Mudpuppy
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Ok so my trip to Germany has been delayed until mid-April and I am back from California. So I am open now through March 9 and then I am gone to South Carolina for a few days. So let me know when is good and we can meet up.

The Team Chicago Race School date is now available - like predicted it is Saturday, April 2, 2011. Fee for 2011 is $45. Still not bad but considering it was $5 a few years ago it is seriously creeping up into the not worth it category. I would say once it passes $75 I would not consider it because it's so early in the season unless it was my first track day ever then it is worth it. But at $45 it is still a great value. And Sunday is test and tune for like $60. So for $105 you can do 2 track days that normally cost $150 each day for a total of $300. Here is the application form:

http://www.teamchicago.tv/2011%20School%20entry.htm

fatmanracing
02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Can we get together maybe on a sunday or something on March 6th? Bullshit about the event, etc?

Mudpuppy
02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah March 6 works for me. Just what time and where? I am in Canton.

fatmanracing
02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Who all is interested in meeting up to talk about the April track day? What tiems work for people on March 6th?

SportstersPaul
02-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Greg,(SPRINK), and I were just talking about this over the weekend. Both interested and would hope to get to a meet and greet. March 6th should work, I'm sure Greg will chime in here as well.

sprink
02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
IN!!

fatmanracing
02-28-2011, 11:22 PM
whats a central spot for all of us? there appears to be 4 of us now total.

Mudpuppy
03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I am in Canton. Where is everyone else at?

fatmanracing
03-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Shelby township here

SportstersPaul
03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Greg is in Ferndale, I come down from Algonac.

sprink
03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I am open to any meeting place, but seems somewhere between myself and Rich is the middle ground.

Mudpuppy
03-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Canton, Shelby Twp, Ferndale, Algonac.. That's an interesting mix.. Not a big fan of Royal Oak but it seems like a logical meeting point? Unless someone knows something a little farther east that is better since Algonac is probably the farthest point out..

fatmanracing
03-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Theres Dave & Busters at M59 & M53...

Or anywhere along 696 if theres a decent place to meet...

fatmanracing
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
So whats the plan fellas?

Mudpuppy
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM
I know the place and I am good with that. D&B M59 and M53. What time is good for everyone and is everyone good with that location? I have to take the inlaws to the airport at 8am but other than that my day is pretty open just pending a kitchen pass from the wife but before I get that I need some details.

fatmanracing
03-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty much open all day as far as I know.

Mudpuppy
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Well let's see what the other 2 want and can do. I would say maybe 12pm??

sprink
03-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I am open after the morning too.

Chris300s
03-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Count me in as well, it's only 10 minutes from my house.

Mudpuppy
03-03-2011, 05:34 PM
is that everyone? 12pm @ D&B M59 & M53?

If so I will work on the kitchen pass..

sprink
03-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I'll check with Paul

sprink
03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
He's in for Sunday as well.

fatmanracing
03-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm good for noon...

Mudpuppy
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Ok then boys looks like I have to "work" around noon on Sunday, lol.. If something comes up you can text me at mudpuppy@wideopensportbikes.net - works the same as a text to a phone number just use my email in place of the phone number and I will get it immediately on my blackberry. You can also send me a PM here and it notifies me right away. And just to clarify I am meaning I am good to meet you at noon on Sunday @ D&B M59 & M53 - the work part is an excuse to the wife and I do have to pick up some parts after our meeting around the east side so it works out..

Mudpuppy
03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
actually can we switch this to tomorrow at noon? Saturday at noon M59 & M53 Dave and Busters. It would work out perfect. Sunday something came up for me. Please let me know.

Mudpuppy
03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
well hopefully i got the word out by my message above, PMs and emails..

Mudpuppy
03-04-2011, 07:30 PM
DISREGARD PREVIOUS MESSAGES. We will leave this alone and do it Sunday. Talked to Chris and seems to be best that day.'

So SUNDAY, MARCH 6, 2011 @ M59 & M53 Dave & Busters @ 12pm

See you there.

fatmanracing
03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Sooulds like a plan... I may not have the new bike yet, but I'm supposed to do the paperwork tomorrow...

Mudpuppy
03-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I have a whole crew of track riders lined up to be there. I believe about 4 others will be joining to share their bit on track days. One of them raced WERA last year. So if you want to know about track days here is your chance.

I will wear my Yamaha hat and meet by the front door.

The other guys coming, in case they get there before me, are Nelson, Brad, Jeff and the other 2 I only know by screen names - Motoboy and Karma.

fatmanracing
03-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm Rich, I'll have on a red jacket...

sprink
03-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Nice to meet all of you today. Looking forward to the day. You were warned about Randy, lol.

Hope to see you all out there in April. Not riding in the same group will provide more time to observe....good or bad!

Mudpuppy
03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Nice to meet everyone. Randy is a complete riot. I totally want to party with him now.

Here are the related links:

Team Chicago, April 2, 2011 Track day (and school) entry form (due by March 20): http://teamchicago.tv/2011%20School%20entry.htm

Redline Superbike (local sportbike club with tons of track junkies): http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Sportbike Track Time (they run all the Michigan track days, except Team Chicago and they run events coast to coast sea to shining sea): http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/

Sportbike Track Gear (great source for gear, tires or anything related, they are affiliated with Sportbike Track Time and have a store on the east side and an online store as well a track side service at all STT events): http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

Any other questions or need any information or help just let me know. Redline's meeting is scheduled for next Saturday in Utica. Details to follow for anyone interested. All (except Randy - just kidding Randy) are welcome to attend and there will be a bunch of track junkies there as well.

Mudpuppy
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
March 13th Redline Meeting - Hatchy's in Utica Starts at 12:30PM sharp.

Link to directions and info about Hatchy's: http://tinyurl.com/4v4aqbu

Meeting agenda to include, but not limited to:

1. New member voting
2. 2011 member dues collection and treasury update
3. April STT track day giveaway
4. Discuss Team Chicago Grattan day for anyone interested
5. Anything else is TBD

sprink
03-31-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, weather looks a little cool. Anyone besides Paul and I still going?

fatmanracing
03-31-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not, not going to ride in sub 40 degree weather for 3 hours, then in low 40s at the track.

Mudpuppy
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Well, weather looks a little cool. Anyone besides Paul and I still going?

My bike is in pieces kind of like my life right now.. no way is it going to be done by Saturday or Sunday.. I will actually be working on it this weekend.. I started to take it apart, took the tires off, mounted new tires and that is as far as I got.. got all the parts in time just didn't have the time to get it done.. So I am going to defer to a later track day this time..

Chris300s
03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Wow, I don't felll so bad now. My bikes in pieces as well, waiting for parts. I'm working on it this week but I won't be done until next weekend at the earliest.

Chris

fatmanracing
03-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Let me know if either of you ened a hand with anything, I have this weekend kind of free...

sprink
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
If your lips get chapped this weekend........1096

Sorry, no smilies........;-)

Gas Man
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Come on by my place and drink some beer while my dog eats your face!

fatmanracing
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Your Dog (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=National_Lampoons_Christmas_Vacation&quote=lipfungus.txt&file=lipfungus.wav)

sprink
04-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Team Chicago event was a BLAST!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

There were about 60 riders there. I think only 2 students rode there. A couple instructors did.

Not too many from Michigan, I guess they aren't used to this cool weather. Bunch came from Chicago area of course.

More Motards than I expected and probably 20 of the bikes were old school cafe bikes. Couple Ducs, Triumphs, BMW's and a metric ton of little twin Hondas. Wish I brought a camera. I am sure there will be pics available.

One guy brought a Boss Hoss. While you can imagine how THAT went around corners, he was faster down the straight than the sportbikes that were stuck behind him......

Put it on your calender for next year!

Mudpuppy
04-04-2011, 10:47 AM
glad you had a good time.. wish I could have made it but my life is complete chaos right now and my bike is a basket case..

SportstersPaul
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah, what Greg said............what a friggin awesome day!!! The "Geritol" generation did themselves proud, score one for the "Michigan Possee". Track was almost completely repaved with SMOOTH blacktop, and so wide, but it did narrow considerably as speed increased. Our new friend on the Boss Hoss almost overshadowed the two old guys on Harleys. We did draw some attention as they aren't used to seeing H.D. bombing around that track. The return ride home was quite an experience with over a hundred miles of rain mixed with snow. Got to be a P.I.T.A. knocking ice and snow off the visors. Probably for the best that the "kids" stayed home as it would have been to much for them. Do we know if any of the others from 'Redline" made it out?

Mudpuppy
04-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I just hope the cars don't ruin it before I get a chance to try the new pavement..

Blade and Slaw from the Redline forum were there.. I don't think any of the official Redline members went.. most were weather watching..