PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot trap?

telecast
01-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Out of the blue my kid says he wants to shoot trap. Although I've shot trap with my side-by-side 20 just to practice up before hunting, I've never really 'shot trap'.

Auto or over under?
Why aren't side-by-sides considered worthy of trap?
What's a good load? 7.5? 8? 9?
Do they use lead shot or steel?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Mudpuppy
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I have shot trap but I mainly shoot skeet. 16 gauge is optimum. Skeet Load (lead shot). Full Modified Choke Tube. I prefer pump shotguns as you can load 3 shells but I know a lot of people use semi-autos but the DNR frowns on them at ranges. Over and under is ok but you have 2 shots and miss having a 3rd shot.

If you ever want to shoot skeet I have a thrower and there is a good range in Manchester that is free.

telecast
01-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Cool. With trap you either shoot single or double targets, so 3 rounds isn't necessary. Might take you up on that.

Mudpuppy
01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
yeah i am not that knowledgeable about trap - i took a skeet/trap class in college back in 1990.. as far as I know trap is 1 or 2 birds flying in same direction and skeet is 1 or 2 birds flying in opposite directions.. but don't take my word.. i just take the thrower out there, load up one or two birds and unload on them.. i rarely use 3 shells so yes 3 rounds is definitely not necessary.. one of my good friends uses nothing but over/under for duck hunting, skeet, trap, etc. That is his preference. I prefer pump shotguns.

But hell yes let's go shoot some clay birds one day soon.. I have 2 shotguns and best way to do it is 3 people - 2 shooting and 1 throwing - I have a ground thrower that you load the skeet and pull a string so it's a lot more consistent than a hand thrower (it's spring loaded) - it's great for 1 bird but 2 birds is sketchy and you have to be really fast to get both - one of the birds flies low and fast.. so the thrower loads the bird, waits for the signal and then releases the bird(s).. the one shooter is main shooter and the other shooter is clean up for any the main shooter misses... and you rotate say after 10 birds..

I would say March time frame is a good time to go.. my Dad and BIL have been asking me about going so maybe we can get a few guys out there and shoot up some clays..

The other version is sporting clays which is the ultimate form but you MUST have towers for that one.. can't do that on your own at a range.. they have a great sporting clays range at bald mountain near the palace in auburn hills.. but it cost a lot more to do that.. which is why i just shoot skeet using my thrower.. i get to shoot more for less money..

telecast
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah, we had a thrower when I was a kid and we could do it in the back yard.

My club has open shoots 3 days a week, not sure what the cost is for non-members but I'll find out. I know it's pretty cheap, probably not much more than buying birds. Nice facility, you can get lunch and a beer aftewards. All the stations and walks are shoveled, the throwers are pro-grade electric, so no need to wait until March.

Skeet has dual houses that throw the clays across and toward or across and away from you. At least one houses is elevated.
Trap has a single house that throws one or two targets, always away but could be straight or at an angle. The house is partially below ground.
Sporting Clays throws them across, away, toward, and on the ground, in the air, etc.

BTW, if we do get together with your thrower I have a case and a half of clay pigeons that've been roosting in my garage for years....

aeryck
01-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I've done skeet and sporting clays, it's pretty fun. Island Lake supposedly has one of the best sporting clay courses in the state but I've never shot there; the only time I did sporting clays was at a place up in Grand Blanc. If you guys plan a date to go blast some clay, let me know - I could be down for that too.

Mad Dog
01-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Tele, I shoot trap. Not real good at it but have for a couple years now. I use a Rem.1100 semi auto with a full choke. I shoot 17-20's. I buy federal or winchester trap loads from walmart. #7 shot, 3dram, lead shot and get 100 rounds for about $21. You can start with any shotgun you have. I would not buy one till you are sure you want to continue shooting. I plan to get a nice over-under some day. Most clubs we have in my area are very open to new shooters and will help you with any questions you might have. I assume it would be the same in your area. Ask around your club. Some guys really like to help new shooters and will step right up. Great Sport-Great social event.

telecast
01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
The thing is Don, he doesn't have a gun. I spoked with some guys while I was out there today, they highly recommended a 12 (big surprise) but said a lot of guys shoot with a pump. Unless you get in a dual league it's all singles anyway. I think he'd be well served with a Remington 870, maybe the express combo so he has a deer barrel.

Hey Mud, I asked about the cost. It's $3.00 per round, members or non-members, so pretty reasonable.

Mad Dog
01-30-2011, 01:52 PM
12 gauge 870 Rem. or a 500 mossberg pump will do just fine. You should be able to find a used one pretty reasonable and if he don't end up liking it you could sell it in a heartbeat. If buying do go with a 12 gauge.

Mudpuppy
01-31-2011, 09:41 AM
that sounds good - we can shoot some with my thrower and some at the club.. i didn't know island lake had sporting clays.. might have to check that out as well.. i just hate paying to get into the park and then paying to get on the range - double dipping imo..

i personally think a 16 gauge is best skeet, trap, sporting clays gun.. most people think 12 is better because its more powerful.. and everything is all about more power.. i have a 12 gauge for hunting and a 16 gauge for skeet.. you are welcome to shoot either of them as long as you know how to handle a gun and don't point it at me.. first time you get a warning.. second time i unload whatever gun i am holding assuming you are intending to shoot me..