PDA

View Full Version : hb 4008

horrorbusiness
01-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Maybe we'll have no helmets this summer.

junkyardjon
01-22-2011, 12:00 AM
i'll still wear mine

aeryck
01-22-2011, 12:02 AM
i'll still wear mine

+1.

IMHO the only people that don't wear helmets are the ones without a brain to protect.

junkyardjon
01-22-2011, 12:48 AM
i think they should have a law about automobiles having working turn signals. i never understood the whole debate about the helmet law but to each there own. the fight should be spent on more motorcycle awareness and just plain common sense.

HSOW
01-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I will always wear mine. I don't have a problem with freedom of choice as long as I don't have to pay for it out of my insurance premiums!

aeryck
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
i think they should have a law about automobiles having working turn signals. i never understood the whole debate about the helmet law but to each there own. the fight should be spent on more motorcycle awareness and just plain common sense.

Ever since I started riding I've felt that as part of any driver's education class, students should be required to ride a motorcycle for 1 week so they can see things from "the other side of the fence", per se.

Sadly, the biggest challenge we as riders face with cagers is the distractions. All the motorcycle awareness drilling in the world won't affect the idiots that are too busy texting, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper (yes,I've seen it), etc, while behind the wheel of a car. And just to compound the issue, being a sportbike rider, any time there is an accident involving a car and a sportbike, the immediate public opinion is "Oh, it's a crotch rocket, it must have been the rider's fault for riding like a douche."

About the only thing we can do is to constantly be aware of our surroundings and always assume that the cagers are out to kill us.

Anyway, this rant is kind of straying away from the topic of the OP. I believe in freedom of choice, and while I may criticize people for not wearing helmets, I'm not a die hard supporter of mandatory helmet laws. Law or not, I'll always wear mine.

Gas Man
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Oh yeah... ALL OF THIS

Ever since I started riding I've felt that as part of any driver's education class, students should be required to ride a motorcycle for 1 week so they can see things from "the other side of the fence", per se.

Sadly, the biggest challenge we as riders face with cagers is the distractions. All the motorcycle awareness drilling in the world won't affect the idiots that are too busy texting, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper (yes,I've seen it), etc, while behind the wheel of a car.

Anyway, this rant is kind of straying away from the topic of the OP. I believe in freedom of choice, and while I may criticize people for not wearing helmets, I'm not a die hard supporter of mandatory helmet laws. Law or not, I'll always wear mine.

And more of this

The logic for no helmets is flawed.

In a car with side impact beams, crumple zones, re-enforced roof pillars, 3 point seat belts, stability trac, abs, traction control, 16 airbags, and in cased in a metal cage....all mandated to have by the govt.

Yes on a motorcycle the one thing that seperates you from being organ donor is a helmet, yet you think the same govt that requires all the above on a car should let you ride without a helmet???? Really? Where's the consistancy? Where's the logic?

Personally I don't give a rats ass. If you want to splatter your brain go for it. Just be sure that you have to carry some high amount of medical insurance rider in order to be able to do so. Then maybe also pay an additional $15 on your DL to get the no helmet "endorsement". Something... anything, to keep me, Chris Tax Payer, from paying for your stupidity from not wearing a helmet.

WILEY
01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Let those who ride decide.

One disturbing thing that has bothered me for years is guys that wear a $500 helmet, shorts,tennis shoes etc.

Gas Man
01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah that is whack as well Wiley. However, no one dies from road rash, it just hurts.

aeryck
01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Let those who ride decide.

One disturbing thing that has bothered me for years is guys that wear a $500 helmet, shorts,tennis shoes etc.

Well, it makes sense if there's a mandatory helmet law. =]

I did have to laugh the last time I was down in florida though... All the cruiser guys were wearing leather vests, chaps, etc, etc, but no helmets.... Then there's the sportbike guys that were wearing full face helmets, with sandals, t-shirts, shorts, etc...

kwats
01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm new to this board, but have been riding since the early 60's and have ridden several hundred thousand miles in my time. I have seen people killed on bikes both with and without helmets, but the commonality is usually blunt trauma. I am all in favor of allowing a person of sound mind the choice to wear one or not, providing that person has been properly trained on how to ride defensively. We all know how many hazards we encounter every day while riding, anyone with experience can testify to that. But recently there has been a large increase in distracted driving due to cell phones, texting, ipads, etc. The roads are much more dangerous today than ever before, so I would encourage anybody to wear a helmet providing the helmet does what it is supposed to do and absorb impact, not deflect it.

I was involved with the lobbying efforts that successfully abolished the helmet law in Indiana. We were able to prove to the state assembly that education was the key to reducing the death rate as opposed to mandate. The DOT approved helmets of the day were polycarbonate, which were contributing to the death rate due to increasing neck fractures. Those helmets would bounce instead of absorb impacts. Indiana saw the wisdom of the argument and let those who ride, decide...

With no fault insurance in Michigan, I am afraid insurance rates will increase a bunch.....

I will continue to wear a helmet. I am a geezer with damaged hearing due to many years of riding without a helmet and open pipes; arthritis from playing superman too many times, and a fooked up left hand by taking on a tablesaw....it's just a matter of time before I'm picking cinders outta my ass.

Gas Man
01-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Great first post but be sure to also put up an intro about yourself, your bike. Don't forget to give us pics too.

alhall88
01-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh yeah... ALL OF THIS

And more of this

The logic for no helmets is flawed.

In a car with side impact beams, crumple zones, re-enforced roof pillars, 3 point seat belts, stability trac, abs, traction control, 16 airbags, and in cased in a metal cage....all mandated to have by the govt.

Yes on a motorcycle the one thing that seperates you from being organ donor is a helmet, yet you think the same govt that requires all the above on a car should let you ride without a helmet???? Really? Where's the consistancy? Where's the logic?

Personally I don't give a rats ass. If you want to splatter your brain go for it. Just be sure that you have to carry some high amount of medical insurance rider in order to be able to do so. Then maybe also pay an additional $15 on your DL to get the no helmet "endorsement". Something... anything, to keep me, Chris Tax Payer, from paying for your stupidity from not wearing a helmet.

So what your saying is that you don't want government control as long as there is some government control? And I wouldn't worry about you having to pay for someones brains being splattered because most of your money is going to the trailer park to support welfare babies.

telecast
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Got a link? If you do a search, House Bill 4008 has something to do with nurses and health care. I can't find any new info about the repeal past 2010. Granholm threatened to veto it every year. Will it change with Snyder in office? Doubtful, unless he see this as an opportunity to bring more tourist revenue into the state via motorcycles. That could happen, him being more prone to busines-like thinking than political.

It should be noted that someone in the House sponsors a bill every year and it never goes anywhere. Most of the bills so far have included a requirement for the rider to purchase additional personal protection insurace, but don't think for one second that it won't raise everyone's rates to cover people that don't get the insurance and ride without one anyway. We already pay a ton of money for uninsured motorists and this will add to it exponentially, if for no other reason than insurance companies seeing an opportunity to gouge.

Remember this above all: People think they have a right to decide for themselves. Wrong. You have absolutley NO RIGHT to have a driver's license. There is no law, no constitutional ammendment, nothing. A driver's license is a priveledge, period. As a priveledge, the government control agrument carries no weight. They can mandate what they want in the way of safety, insurance, color of your vehicle, whatever they want no matter how silly it seems. You basically have three options if you don't like it. They are to deal with it, work to change it, or don't drive.

Gas Man
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't WANT govt controll but it's there anyway. There is little use in fighting it, so I'm adapting to make the best of it. I'm also saying the logic in telling the govt to not force us to wear helmets is flawed.

And I know fully where the money is going... but you missed one. The section 8 housing all over the place is surely taking its fair chunk.

WILEY
01-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah that is whack as well Wiley. However, no one dies from road rash, it just hurts.

Oh, rest assured all of the folks who died in Michigan were wearing helmets.

The problem is its the sudden stop that kills people. the brain doesnt stop because its suspended in liquid and slams into the front and rear of skull in a hard impact. Think about race car drivers that have been killed, Dale Sr. being the most widely known.

My brother was killed in a motorcycle wreck in 2000 down in Illinois. He was wearing a full face helmet and full leathers. The guy who ran into him head on was also on a bike, no helmet, tshirt and shorts.

Both of them died instantly from the impact.

Gas Man
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah but a new style DOT, snell, and some other new euro spec are not going to kill you. PERIOD. If you still die then you just took on too much injury and nothing will help you.

WILEY
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah but a new style DOT, snell, and some other new euro spec are not going to kill you. PERIOD. If you still die then you just took on too much injury and nothing will help you.

Never said a helmet will kill you.

People DO overestimate helmets abilites to protect them and ride like they are invincible.

The human body is fairly fragile. In a bad wreck a helmet is the difference between an open or closed casket. Dead is dead.

Helmets only take impact to a certain extent. there ARE helmets that will remain remarkably intact after impact, but its too much trauma for the human head to take.

So its all academic, busted up no helmet head or nice intact preserved head in expensive technologically advanced super duper helmet just as dead.

horrorbusiness
01-23-2011, 06:28 PM
You have make sure the year is right, they figure we loose a billion in tourism money from mandating helmets. Fuck aaa wanting to tell me I have to.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pnblsj3noakaym55igwhla45))/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2011-HB-4008

Mudpuppy
01-25-2011, 11:47 AM
So what your saying is that you don't want government control as long as there is some government control? And I wouldn't worry about you having to pay for someones brains being splattered because most of your money is going to the trailer park to support welfare babies.

This

WILEY
01-28-2011, 09:20 PM
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=20