PDA

View Full Version : Gonna' hit the range today

telecast
01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm officially on 32 hours a week until things pick up. Could be worse. I can take whatever day I want, so since today is indoor pistol at the club and it was supposed to be icy this morning it seeed like a good day.

My pistol league starts in two weeks and I haven't shot my 'new' stainless Ruger MK II Target model yet. I need some hours on it.

The problem is as a waiting list member I can't get into the building. I am told there's a guy that goes out every Tuesday and shoots most of the day. I'll give it a try this afternoon. If not I'll shoot outside. It's fairly warm today and the firing line is covered.

I expect to be quite bad, it's been many years since I've done any amount of shooting. Fortunately it's a handicapped league. No need for me to sandbag.....

Bob
01-18-2011, 10:18 AM
What club did you end up joining Tele? I forgot.

Mad Dog
01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Fortunately it's a handicapped league. No need for me to cornhole Gas Man.....

Do you wear a helmet?

telecast
01-18-2011, 11:46 AM
To Bob: Dundee

To Don: A bicycle hemlet with lots of padding.

Bob
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Tele, do you have a link to the Dundee club? I've been thinking of joining a club for like 2 years now. LOL

telecast
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/Dscinc/home.htm

FYI, you need someone to sponsor you in, and it ain't me because I'm a 'waiting list' member and can't be a sponsor. If I was a full fledged member I'd be happy to. You need to poke around and see if you can find anyone you know who belongs there.

Bob
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/Dscinc/home.htm

FYI, you need someone to sponsor you in, and it ain't me because I'm a 'waiting list' member and can't be a sponsor. If I was a full fledged member I'd be happy to. You need to poke around and see if you can find anyone you know who belongs there.

Thanks! I think I might have cousins that shoot there.

telecast
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
You might want to consider Wayne County Sportsman's Club, it's in Romulus. Probably a lot closer to you.

telecast
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Well, so much for that. Ever shoot a machine pistol? The Ruger is firing two and three round bursts. Not every time, but 2-3 times per mag. Ruger's turnaround time is 2 weeks, and Terry is at the SHOT Show, so no help there until he gets back. The League starts in two weeks.

CRAP.

Bob
01-18-2011, 07:37 PM
That sucks man. Is that the first problem you've had with the Ruger? I was watching some concealed show this weekend and it was sponsored by Ruger and I was wondering how reliable they where. I've never shot one. I have a buddy that uses one as his carry gun though and really seems to like it.

telecast
01-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I've had many Rugers, they're reliable as hell. They're known for it. I think this gun has a peculiar problem, it is certainly not indiciative of a Mark II. What pisses me off is I sold my MK II Standard that was perfect because I HAD to have target sights, and now I have this thing. Should've just kept the Standard and used Kentucky windage. Terry will make it right, but not in time to shoot the league.

Bob
01-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Terry is one of the guys at Magnum right? I always wondered if they did a lot of smithing and repairs. Luckily I've never had to have a gun worked on but if I had to I wondered if Magnum would do it.

telecast
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Terry is the owner, hence the reason no one can commit until he gets back. Lloyd is the gunsmith, he's certified with a lot of different manufacturers. In Rugers case, they like to do the repairs themselves. According to the guy at Ruger it'll be $35 plus parts to fix it, plus shipping both ways. He said there are only three things it could be and they're only a couple of bucks each, so I'm looking at about $80 or so. But wtf, I just bought the damned gun a few weeks ago. I'm sure Terry will get it taken care of, he stands behind what he sells. If it weren't for the league I wouldn't care so much about waiting. This was a consignment piece so IMO he ought to go back to the owner and get a refund on the repair costs. They HAD to know it was fucked up.

I am seriously thinking about just buying another gun, a cheap ass 22 like that new Beretta for $200 or so just so I can shoot the league. Then once the Ruger is fixed I'll sell one off. The thing is you can't swap guns mid-league, you have to finish with the one you started with.

One of the biggest pissers here is that the indoor range is for pistol on Tuesdays only, it's shared with Archery until the new clubhouse is built with a dedicated indoor handgun range. Once the league starts the indoor range is constantly busy, so there will be no chance to go shoot unless it's outside. I was planning on shooting the league mainly so I could shoot indoors until the weather breaks. With no gun to shoot, I'm screwed. I could shoot my .357 or my kid's .45 I suppose, but that'd get real expensive real fast, and I don't have my reloading stuff yet.

telecast
01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Of course, there IS a plus side to this. Shooting a .22 in burst mode is a lot of fun! http://www.migunowners.org/forum/images/smilies/ak.gif

telecast
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Once again, Magnum Force somes through. "Just bring it back and we'll refund your money or you can pick out something else."

Can't do much better than that!

Bob
01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Once again, Magnum Force somes through. "Just bring it back and we'll refund your money or you can pick out something else."

Can't do much better than that!

Yeah man, I wouldn't deal with any other shop for guns.

telecast
01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Took it back. I was going to pick up a Mark III Target model, but he was sold out. It would've been about an even trade. I ended up kicking in a few more bucks and gtting this one. Special distrbutor edition from Lipsey's (no idea). Cocobolo grips, slab side barrel, and custom front sight with changable fiber optics.

http://ruger.com/products/markIIIDE/images/10122.jpg

fatmanracing
01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
That was pretty sweet of them to stand behind what they sell. Nice pickup, damn fine looking gun.