PDA

View Full Version : Made in the USA

Mudpuppy
01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Website I was just made aware of that offers goods made only in the USA: www.madeinusaforever.com

Bob
01-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I've been on that site before for some items. I forget what though. I think when I was looking for shoes.

Gas Man
01-07-2011, 10:40 AM
That's great!

Mudpuppy
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Not a huge selection but a good place to check first if you need something.. If I was elected president of the USA after my first order of business which would be to attack canada and decimate the Poutine factory my next order of business would be to burn down every fucking walmart.

dogbreath
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Not a huge selection but a good place to check first if you need something.. If I was elected president of the USA after my first order of business which would be to attack canada and decimate the Poutine factory my next order of business would be to burn down every fucking walmart.

Last time we attacked Canada they burned the White House down. England probably won't back them up this time, though. Please don't burn the Wal-Marts down, though :( Redistribute the land and facilities to local business owners! Take Wal-Mart from the rich and give it to the poor!

Mudpuppy
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
how about we compromise? i will napalm the walmarts, clear the land and you can be my minister of land redistribution..

and i don't think all 1 of canada's army is going to do a fucking thing to us..

Mad Dog
01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks Mud. I saved the link. We have a store about 5 miles from me that sells US made products as well. I hope this trend takes off.

Mudpuppy
01-10-2011, 08:25 AM
me too.. I would buy everything USA made if it was available and within reason of price - I would pay 10-20% more to support our country.. It would be nice if everyone followed this trend but our me first no accountability got to have it right now whether I need it or not and in 10 minutes I am bored and throw it out society will never do that.. the Walmart nation..

Gas Man
01-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I agree with Mud. But take for example my BIl looking at the Kawasaki Voyager touring bike. 20% more would put him at the price of a HD Electric Glide Ultra Classic like mine. But I don't see him doing that. Sucks cause he also won't the aftermarket or dealer network support either with the Kaw.

telecast
01-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Saying 10-20% flat out is kind of a slippery slope, as Gas pointed out. 10% of a $20 shirt ain't much, but 10% of something that cost $16k is a lot. That's what I ran into when I bought the TV. Not that any of them were made in the US, but Walmart was 30% less than the others. Did I hate buying it from them? Yep. Did I hate saving over $300? Nope.

WILEY
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree with Mud. But take for example my BIl looking at the Kawasaki Voyager touring bike. 20% more would put him at the price of a HD Electric Glide Ultra Classic like mine. But I don't see him doing that. Sucks cause he also won't the aftermarket or dealer network support either with the Kaw.

Wouldnt buy any new bike right now. There are some great used bikes out there cheap.

Wonder if he would let you steer him that way????

Gas Man
01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Nope... my BIL is a cheap ass.

junkyardjon
01-10-2011, 10:54 PM
first step should be anybody that labels there product as american should be made here, as in the big 3 for starters. it's sad when you look at a new caddy and the wire harness is in some china shit. oh and HD, no more jap shit on your "american" bike.
any hoo, i try my hardest to buy from companies that manufacture and assembly there products here!! I also look for stuff not made in china, don't care who it's manufactured for.

junkyardjon
01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
and another thing... i already jumped on snap-on tools for selling shit made in china and slappin a snap-on name on it and charging way more for a HF tool!!!! he didn't like it but i had enuff of it. it's sad seeing all these plants closing down and companies are PIMPIN "buy american" "buy local" and all the other jazz when it ain't even made here.

and yes it's a sore spot with me.

Bob
01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
and another thing... i already jumped on snap-on tools for selling shit made in china and slappin a snap-on name on it and charging way more for a HF tool!!!! he didn't like it but i had enuff of it. it's sad seeing all these plants closing down and companies are PIMPIN "buy american" "buy local" and all the other jazz when it ain't even made here.

and yes it's a sore spot with me.

And the funny thing is these countries like China don't even want the junk they make. LOL When I sold my business 70% of what I had left was bought by a company in Taiwan to sell over there.

Gas Man
01-11-2011, 05:51 AM
I like the way jon thinks!

Mudpuppy
01-11-2011, 08:52 AM
definitely a sore spot with me as well.. we have all these resources and capabilities but we piss it away and eventually the check will come to the table and we will have to pay for our greed, laziness and selfishness.. maybe it won't be in our life time but it can't be far off..

HSOW
01-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I am trying to have an American made section in our store and am having a hard time finding anything in the motorcycle business made in America. I know we sell Japanese bikes but I had hoped at least some products would be made here. Honda was pretty good about it until they moved all production to Japan. I guess until we all stop looking for the "cheepest" of everything more products will be made other places. I think Snap-on is Canadian, but I noticed thier products having poorer quality a few years ago.

Mudpuppy
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
yeah motorcycles are a problem.. i ride a japanese bike.. but no american company makes a bike that i would spend my money on.. in the case of my bike i wasn't looking for the cheapest product i was looking for the product that suited my needs and the Yamaha is definitely it.. and i don't really see the trend changing for bikes.. it would be nice if an american company popped up that made sportbikes just doesn't exist.. if i win the lottery that is what i will be doing though..

junkyardjon
01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
I am trying to have an American made section in our store and am having a hard time finding anything in the motorcycle business made in America. I know we sell Japanese bikes but I had hoped at least some products would be made here. Honda was pretty good about it until they moved all production to Japan. I guess until we all stop looking for the "cheepest" of everything more products will be made other places. I think Snap-on is Canadian, but I noticed thier products having poorer quality a few years ago.

first i'll say "welcome aboard, it's a great site"
second, what kinda parts you looking for? theres alot of small shops making killer parts at reasonable prices. maybe i can help steer you in the right direction?

i'm not into the cheapest part, if i can't make it,i want the best i can buy. if it's made here thats even better. i'm sick of buying junk and it breaking a couple weeks later. i've had it and take it back and demand my money back. that store credit don't cut it and i've threatened to sue over it and i'm not joking. seems nothing is made to last anymore and i'm tired of buying it. companies and consumers need to get there head straight and no more free trade BS

Bob
01-11-2011, 09:33 PM

That sucks man. I think one of the problem is a lot of the people making American products are sort of small and they have like no wiggle room to have a store sell their products. I ran into this when i had my business (automotive detailing products). Tons of stuff made in America but the businesses where tiny and since they where so small they did not get the quantity discounts a larger place would get, but then again the larger places went to China and ordered by the boat loads. Then we they try and get their products into the stores they loose all of their profit because the stores need to make money too. I sold two polishers, one was a plastic Porter Cable and the other an aluminum dual head solid machine. The aluminum cased polisher was made by Cyclo Tools in the USA. The other was not. However the Cyclo was double the cost fo the Porter Cable and I rarely sold the Cyclo.

telecast
01-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Here you go. This guy sells stuff that's not only US made, but Michigan made!

"Dealer applications now available"

http://griesemetalworks.com/Default.aspx

Someone ought to talk to him about becoming a site sponsor.

HSOW
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I am glad to hear you and other people prefer quality and service over cheapest price, but it seems the reality is (as was said earlier with the "Wal-Mart Mentality") right now with things tight most people are just looking for the cheapest price (which I can understand, everybody is feeling it) without much thought to what the ramifications are. Like with internet buying, I can understand that it is easier to sit there find something and have it sent to you, but if you look at the big picture the trickle down is devastating. Every dollar that leaves Michigan will never come back and affects everyone in the community. I do use the internet like everyone else except I do my research and then try to find a Michigan Company to purchase from, only when I cannot find one will I purchase from another state. I have found this method, although costing more, usually ends up with customer service benefits that you will not get from an unknown from where ever. As far as parts I was looking for, clothing, accessories (we do sell stuff like Cobra, MC Enterprises), maintenance parts (there are some but quality is an issue), kind of anything to push the made locally movement.

Gas Man
01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
AMEN Jon

Gas Man
01-12-2011, 02:54 PM

There are allot of very tallented shop guys in michigan. It's from years of it, growing up around it. We just got it going on, don't ya know.

sprink
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
me too.. I would buy everything USA made if it was available and within reason of price - I would pay 10-20% more to support our country.. It would be nice if everyone followed this trend but our me first no accountability got to have it right now whether I need it or not and in 10 minutes I am bored and throw it out society will never do that.. the Walmart nation..

Couldn't agree more!

Saying 10-20% flat out is kind of a slippery slope, as Gas pointed out. 10% of a $20 shirt ain't much, but 10% of something that cost $16k is a lot. That's what I ran into when I bought the TV. Not that any of them were made in the US, but Walmart was 30% less than the others. Did I hate buying it from them? Yep. Did I hate saving over $300? Nope.

Not saying you got a bad deal, but a lot of the "super" deals given at wally word, costco, etc are lower priced because they are "lesser" models than offered in appliance stores.....got to look carefully when comparing. The appliance companies produce lower cost items just for those big chains.....they don't just sell it for less, they make it for less.

sprink
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Separate post since while on topic it doesn't follow the thread...

Just got the American made Danner boots I ordered when someone (horrorbusiness) posted a discount code. Only had 'em a day, but I love them!

Mudpuppy
01-13-2011, 08:16 AM

michigan made is even better.. mo better is what i say..