PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a sad ending....

telecast
01-02-2011, 01:09 PM
We finally stepped into the world of HD. One of the main reasons I waited was because of our 61" rear projection. Excellent picture and it worked pretty good. Lately the pic has been warping on us, and the front inputs were screwing up, which made it difficult to connect games. It was a top of the line Toshiba with dual tuners, built in surround with a subwoofer, the whole works.

The problem: How do you get rid of a 61" rear projection unit that weighs as much as a piano? It took 5 men to get it in the door.

I took it apart, piece by piece. Removed the back panels (and being careful not to touch any capacitors) I pulled all the circuit boards. Then around to the front for the screen, speakers, color guns and mirror. I took about 120 lbs out of it all together. Then 3 of us got it outside, where I completed the process with a sawzall and some well-placed kicks. It fills 3 garbage cans with bigger pieces of the cabinet stacked up separately. I think they're small enough for the garbage man to take.

Kind of a rough way to go since it was still working, but who would have wanted it, and who would have got it out of the house? Service calls on those things are expensive and it's not like you can take it to the repairman yourself.

Onward and upward!

dogbreath
01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
My neighbor ditched their projection TV recently. I would have taken it but it would have been a lot of work.

WILEY
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Moved a 72 inch for a buddy twice. Luckily the 2 of us did it without alot of trouble.

It was heavy.

Sometimes being big is a good thing.LOL

Gas Man
01-02-2011, 02:09 PM
WOW... I would have loved some pics of that destruction. Like a before and after shot?

What about the new screen? Got a link and pic of the install?

Mad Dog
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
What did you replace it with?

Trainguy
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Yup got that goin' on right now. Had the service guy come and hook up the paddles to my 52". DOA. Same thing it's the size of a piano & weighs the same:p.

telecast
01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
What did you replace it with?

55" Vizio LCD.

telecast
01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
WOW... I would have loved some pics of that destruction. Like a before and after shot?

What about the new screen? Got a link and pic of the install?

No pics, sorry.

Mad Dog
01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
55" Vizio LCD.

Good Choice!

zamochit
01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Funny thread because I just called my cousin over today to help me drag ours out of the basement. It quit working about a month ago, but damn these things are so big and heavy. I didn't know what the hell to do with it so I took it to the road. If its still there tomorrow night I am gonna sawsall that bitch up too.

dogbreath
01-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Hmmm we also got a 55" Vizio LCD recently ;)

telecast
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Funny thread because I just called my cousin over today to help me drag ours out of the basement. It quit working about a month ago, but damn these things are so big and heavy. I didn't know what the hell to do with it so I took it to the road. If its still there tomorrow night I am gonna sawsall that bitch up too.

Just be careful, capacitors can hold a charge for years and there's enough juice in them to kill. Also, don't try to sawzall through the back, there's a big mirror in there. Best bet is to do some dissasembly first and take the bad stuff out. It only took me about 1/2 hour-45 min to get it apart enough to chop up the cabinet.

We found a good deal at the dreaded Walmart. I shopped Best Buy, ABC Warehouse, Paul's TV, Big George's Home Appliance, Sears, and Walter's Home Appliance. Walmart was $300 less than anyone else. It was enough of a difference to pay for a 32" for the den. Before anyone blasts Walmart or tells me what a fool I am for giving them my money, $300 was too much to walk away from. Had the difference been more reasonable I would've gone to one of the others.

We also picked up a Blu-Ray that upscales standard DVD's to 1080p and direct streams Netflix, no game console needed.

Gas Man
01-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a good deal.

dogbreath
01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
We found a good deal at the dreaded Walmart. I shopped Best Buy, ABC Warehouse, Paul's TV, Big George's Home Appliance, Sears, and Walter's Home Appliance. Walmart was $300 less than anyone else. It was enough of a difference to pay for a 32" for the den. Before anyone blasts Walmart or tells me what a fool I am for giving them my money, $300 was too much to walk away from. Had the difference been more reasonable I would've gone to one of the others.

We got ours at CostCo for less than a grand. Otherwise I'd have a much smaller one :P

Mudpuppy
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
i missed the sad part?

telecast
01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
i missed the sad part?

Just a lousy end for a fine TV! All chopped up and layin' out there by the curb......

telecast
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Dish Network guy is here now, installing a new HD dish and a new HD dual tuner box so we can watch two different TV's at once. Total cost for the upgrade, $15, and no additional monthly cost. I went ahead and popped for the DVR service too. Should be a nice setup.

Gas Man
01-04-2011, 08:34 PM
WOW that's nice!

Bob
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Dish Network guy is here now, installing a new HD dish and a new HD dual tuner box so we can watch two different TV's at once. Total cost for the upgrade, $15, and no additional monthly cost. I went ahead and popped for the DVR service too. Should be a nice setup.

Good deal for sure. We just switched plans with our provider and got 100+ more channels for less. Weird how they work those deals.

Mudpuppy
01-05-2011, 09:24 AM
DVR is where the money's at..