PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear - USA

Gas Man
11-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Ok so I'm a huge fan of the uk show. So when I heard it was coming state side I was obviously excited with a tinge of "oh gosh, they going to ruin it". But then it quickly got canned before taping could even start. Months later it got picked back up by another network. Yea!

My initials worries...

The uk version is ran by bbc. Which if u didn't know is a uk version of our pbs. Its non profit and therefore it doesn't have the same corporate sponsorship. Which means, the hosts speak their minds and if the car sucks they say it. Saying it without fear of sponsors getting miffed and pulling their cash. This is NOT how "the colonies" run mainstream media. Grrrr

The talent. Simply. While Taner carries some driving skills known to others. They weren't pulling in "the car guy" of america, Leno. I'm sure its a price thing. But damn that would have been instant qualifications.

More on the talent. The uk version has impressive character by the 3 hosts. Angling the uk version to carry some big shoes. I simply don't believe they can be duplicated.

So it aired monday night on history channel. My dvr got it. I watched it. Yep

It was entertaining but my above worries were shown true. I will still watch it. Hopefully it will grow and be successful. Hopefully they'll bring the uk guys over for a cameo or somin.

What do u guys think?

Mudpuppy
11-24-2010, 05:18 PM
thanks for the low down bro.. i like top gear but rarely watch it - i don't watch much tv and what i do i am very selective.. so i saw the words "Top Gear USA" somewhere and thought it was just top gear uk doing a usa trip or special episode or something..

Gas Man
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Nope a whole nother show.

And can you believe I typed all of that on my BB WOW

Bob
11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
I thought the previews sucked so I won't watch it. LOL

And this is like the second time they tried this. I think they did it years ago with Adam Carrola as the host and it bombed. Why they are trying it again I have no idea.

Chris300s
11-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Guys, I'm in the UK now for the next 3 months and the "public" TV stations (1-7) are f-ing awesome. After 9:00 they rival any cable network. I've never heard cunt or twat so frequently as I have here on publc TV.
FWIW I think Top Gear (UK) is the best show on TV. When I got here I told the guys; "everything I know about british driving comes from Jeremy Clarkston". "You'll get along just fine then..."

Chris

SportstersPaul
11-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Chris: Is your wifes "Thing" going to be okay while you are gone?

junkyardjon
11-25-2010, 10:11 PM
they should hire me cause i got no problem tell'em like it is! i ain't watched the show so i have no clue yet, but the uk top gear is gear.

Gas Man
11-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Guys, I'm in the UK now for the next 3 months and the "public" TV stations (1-7) are f-ing awesome. After 9:00 they rival any cable network. I've never heard cunt or twat so frequently as I have here on publc TV.
FWIW I think Top Gear (UK) is the best show on TV. When I got here I told the guys; "everything I know about british driving comes from Jeremy Clarkston". "You'll get along just fine then..."

Chris
Simply awesome man. I love it.

Has the USA version been aired over there yet? What are they saying about it over there?