PDA

View Full Version : Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

RedneckMedic
11-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't know if any of you have read this book before but i have it on audio book and if you want it just send me your email and ill send it to you.

Gas Man
11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
I always meant to read it but hate reading... I have never tried an audio book...

WILEY
11-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Never liked that book.

Rebuilding the Indian is alot better.

dogbreath
11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
PM on the way.

meinschaft
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I read it back in the 70s. Bob Pirsig, the author, was borderline psychotic and eventually went through electro-convulsive therapy. I felt sorry for his son, who accompanied him on the trip. But that book has definitely affected my life. The message is at least as relevant today as it was then. And it caused me to attempt more of my own maintenance, on all aspects of my life, not just my bike.

It was kind of a tough read but worth it.

WILEY
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I read it back in the 70s. Bob Pirsig, the author, was borderline pshychotic and eventually went through electro-convulsive therapy. I felt sorry for his son, who accompanied him on the trip. But that book has definitely affected my life. The message is at least as relevant today as it was then. And it caused me to attempt more of my own maintenance, on all aspects of my life, not just my bike.

Parts of the book I enjoyed were the on the road writings. Some of the philosophy left me cold.

Didnt know Pirsig had mental health issues, kinda explains a few things.

meinschaft
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Pirsig sets out trying to define 'quality' and concludes it can't be done. It's all subjective.

RedneckMedic
11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
the book cant be any worse than Walden by Thoreau because that guy was psychotic. I listened to like the first 4 chapters last night and listening to it i can tell is much easier than reading because it is a first person narrative so it seems like one giant rambling of thoughts but the way the reader on the audio book reads it the thoughts come out more with a more generalized flow.

RedneckMedic
11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
actually cant send the files my email will only let me send a 25 mb so this one is too big

Bob
11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
This is hilarious because I was looking for a bike book I wanted for my b-day and was surfing for it last night. I came across this book and was reading about it. And then today you posted about it.

Mudpuppy
11-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I always meant to read it but hate reading... I have never tried an audio book...

it is not that you hate reading.. let's be honest it is because you can't read - you just drool, laugh and point at the pictures.. so an audio book would be optimum for you..

http://www.rogerswebsite.com/Humour/37%20-%20Illiterate%20-%20Write%20for%20Help.jpg

Gas Man
11-16-2010, 09:52 PM
I read titty braille! Does that count?

Mudpuppy
11-17-2010, 09:41 AM
yes that counts