PDA

View Full Version : Reminders that winter is coming

Gas Man
11-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Yesterday I winterized the Nightster and today I got it cleaned/covered and tucked away. And you can see that the HHRSS fits in the garage very well.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Black006.jpg

I have been riding all week to work on night shift. But tonights 36* out (going lower later) really shows not only in my breathe, but in the exhaust and frost on my seat.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/SU1HMDAwMzktMjAxMDExMDItMjMwMC5qcGc.jpg

Plus I have had the wife, mom, and neighbor wife all tell me I'm crazy for riding in this. But I figure screw it, it will be snowing soon, might as well get in some of the final miles in 2010.

What's your reminder?

horrorbusiness
11-03-2010, 06:39 AM
I used to push the riding season till the roads got salty. Then I got caught in the freezing rain. I rode home back streets, feet down, that kinda soured it for me. I've never been on a bike with a fairing to see how much warmer it feels without the wind.

telecast
11-03-2010, 08:15 AM
It feels a lot warmer...until you get used to it, then it feels cold. Cold air is cold air.

Chain
11-03-2010, 01:54 PM
How far of a ride is it for you? I have 48 miles one way, but still been riding.... it gets cold! And of course you get people saying your crazy! My biggest fear is deer....

dogbreath
11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Bought some snowshoes for my AE86. Can't wait to drive in the snow

motorcycle mike
11-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I got nailed by snow a few years ago near Midland michigan on Nov 15th while on the sportster. The weather was in the low 60's a couple of days before that so I decieded to go for a ride up north. I stayed one day too long. On the way home I went to the Midland mall and bought a down vest and thermals, threw on my rain gear and rode back 2 1/2 hours, wasn't bad, but I'm not sure I'd do it again, even on a bet.

dogbreath
11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Worst I was ever caught by cold was 2005-2006, it was January and my Audi broke so I rode my Hayabusa to work. On the way there it was cold but manageable, on the way back it rained and I'm pretty sure I was hypothermic by the time I got home.

Bob
11-03-2010, 08:45 PM
The coldest I have ever been in my life was in my old Honda. My cousin and I were at some fights in Warren and it was freaking freezing out. We decided to leave our coats in the car because we did not want to carry them or wait for them at coat check after the fights. We valeted that night so here come my car up to doors. I had about 1 square inch of glass that was not frozen solid that I could see through. I had to move because the cars where lined up behind me with nowhere to go. It sucked! Tons of people all over and I'm trying not to hit them. I got to the first red light and it was so cold I could not even keep the clutch pushed in I was shaking so bad. We ended up pulling over in a CVS parking lot, store ended up being closed so we just sat in the car and let it warm up and let the windows thaw. It was honestly the coldest I've ever been in my life. i've never been cold to the point i could barely function. To this day we still talk about how cold it was. I could not tell you one thing about any of the fights that night because all I remember is the cold. LOL

SportstersPaul
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Coldest for me was a bright sunshine morning in January a few years back, had a hell-of -a time starting the bike but rode about half the day, later learned it was -20. Guess that's why the bike started hard. Oh, and salt isn't bad if you can tolerate the rust that soon follows.

Bob
11-03-2010, 09:53 PM
That's nuts man. LOL i wear long johns often when I ride. Even when it's going to be 70 during the day usually when I leave early in the morning it's cold and with the windchill on the bike I never get warm with them on.

dogbreath
11-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Try some lady's nylons the next time your legs are getting cold... guarantee you'll be back for more!

dogbreath
11-03-2010, 10:11 PM
The coldest I have ever been in my life was in my old Honda.

Sucked driving to work in that Audi I had, too, as the blower motor never got up to speed and I had to drive with the windows open to keep the windshield from fogging over.

RedneckMedic
11-04-2010, 02:09 AM
the coldet i have ever been in my life was when i did the polar plunge and jumped into the detroit river and the boat club on belle isle. they had to break the ice for u to have hole to jump into. my muscles tightened up so bad i could barely move. the coldest ive been on the bike though was about 2 weeks ago i rode up to my buddies place in richmond and even the weather forcast was clear it rained the last 20 min of the ride 2 his place and got covered in mud the last mile down the dirt road (damn chopped fender sent a rooster tail of muddy water up my back). we went to the bar and watched the vikings jets game and spent a few hours there. the ride back was even worse it rained until i hit about moross rd but i was soaked by then wearing nothing but jeans a tshirt and a thin zip up hoody. it was about 1 1/2 hours back and i still dont know how i made it i think the temp that night was 42 degrees but being wet and at 80 with no shield made it feel a hell of a lot colder.

Mudpuppy
11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
thanks for the reminder i just moved to michigan

Bob
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Sucked driving to work in that Audi I had, too, as the blower motor never got up to speed and I had to drive with the windows open to keep the windshield from fogging over.

Yeah, that little 90hp 4 banger in the Honda took a while to warm up the interior. I think at the time I had all of the interior panels ripped out too so no insulation at all.

Bob
11-04-2010, 08:33 PM
the coldet i have ever been in my life was when i did the polar plunge and jumped into the detroit river and the boat club on belle isle. they had to break the ice for u to have hole to jump into. my muscles tightened up so bad i could barely move. the coldest ive been on the bike though was about 2 weeks ago i rode up to my buddies place in richmond and even the weather forcast was clear it rained the last 20 min of the ride 2 his place and got covered in mud the last mile down the dirt road (damn chopped fender sent a rooster tail of muddy water up my back). we went to the bar and watched the vikings jets game and spent a few hours there. the ride back was even worse it rained until i hit about moross rd but i was soaked by then wearing nothing but jeans a tshirt and a thin zip up hoody. it was about 1 1/2 hours back and i still dont know how i made it i think the temp that night was 42 degrees but being wet and at 80 with no shield made it feel a hell of a lot colder.

Ef that noise man!

Lumpy
11-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I think my coldest ride was last year when I rode in to work and it was 16 degrees outside. I don't think I'm going to be as hard core this year.

Dirty
11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I think my coldest was like Feb 11th 2008. Had moved into the new house a few weeks earlier and this was the day that I moved the motorcycle from my parents house to the new one. 16 miles in 16 degree weather. Lots of snow on the ground but the roads were clear and dry. Actually, looking back on it now, it really didn't seem that bad.

The bike had been stored outside on a covered patio at my folks with a cover on the bike also. I remember that when I took the cover off the bike there was a dead bird under the cover. Not that that has anything to do with the story, just popped back into my head as I was typing this...LOL

toby
12-25-2010, 06:15 AM
winter is here

snofrog
12-25-2010, 11:11 AM
the absolute coldest I have been was on my bike .I took a ride with a friend down to story indiana . it was 28 when we left and 27 when we got home 720 miles in between . my feet never touched the ground for the last 120 miles and I was unsure weather I could even hold my bike up if I were to try . when I did get home I grabbed a lawnchair off of the deck and sat in the shower untill I was warm again . I have much better gear now so it will not be an issue in the future :D . the coldest I have ridden in is -25* f but that was on my sled:eek: