PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Uniforms?

Mad Dog
10-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Just saw on the news that the Girl Scout Uniforms might be outsourced to China WTF. Would put 90 American workers on the street. They say they want to "Offer The Best Value". Did they ever think of asking the American families if they would be willing to pay a little more to keep them Made In America!http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/images/smilies/15.gif

Send them an email and let them know what you think. Let's fill their mailbox.
It only takes a second.
Girl Scouts of the USA: Email Us (http://www.girlscouts.org/contact/email.asp)

junkyardjon
10-29-2010, 10:04 PM
now thats just messed up! you have a link or something for the story?

http://www.katu.com/news/national/106323853.html

Bob
10-29-2010, 11:12 PM
They already rape you on their cookies, which are getting smaller and less int he box! WTF do they do will all of that money? LOL

Gas Man
10-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Sell the cookies year round! That will fix the issue. Plus I'll gain 25#

WILEY
10-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Saddest part is people in this country are cutting their own throats.

They stopped looking at value and only looked at price.

Learned my lesson years ago when i didnt have much money and bought one of those taiwan socket sets. Sockets werent all the right sizes, broke like eggshells, and rachet wouldnt hold up to even moderate pressure.

So bought fewer but higher quality tools used or Craftsman back when they were still made in USA. (Course think I read that Craftsman is now made in China.)

Dont know if its even possible to buy clothes in retail stores that arent made in some foreign country.

Have bought stuff from some of these makers.

http://www.madeinusa.org/

telecast
10-30-2010, 10:16 AM
They already rape you on their cookies, which are getting smaller and less int he box! WTF do they do will all of that money? LOL

You'll find out when your daughter grows up. I've had two in the GS's and I can tell you the profit from those cookies doesn't go very far. Yeah, they're expensive, but you're not buying cookies as much as donating to a good cause.

If they do end up buying uniforms from China we'll be done with them and their cookies. I emailed them and told them as much. They should be ashamed as a great American institution for even considering this.

Mad Dog
10-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Just got back from the dealer and my 1K service. Was 39 degrees this morning when I left so I grabbed my cold weather Leather Harley Gloves. WTF I hardly ever wear them, paid $100 for them and the one seam is splitting. Where were they made? Fucking China! I'm pissed and I told the dealer so this morning. Yes I have had them for 4 years but I MAY have worn them 40 times.....:(

Gas Man
10-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Out of a job yet?
Keeping buying foreign.

vortech302
10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
I just spent $425 on lifters for my car, and one of the companies selling points was "Made in USA".

Bob
10-31-2010, 06:54 PM
What I don't get is everyone is making a big stink about this. But I highly doubt anyone reads the tags of their clothes before buying them to make sure THEIR clothes are made in the USA. Because if they did they'd probably run around half naked most of the time. Someone told me they bought New Balance shoes because they were made in the USA. My NB shoes say "Made in China". It's only like a model or two actual made in the USA.

Bob
10-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Out of a job yet?
Keeping buying foreign.

I love those bumper stickers on Mexican made GM cars. LOL The stickers probably came from China too.

telecast
10-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Well, girl Scouts is a worldwide organization.

I wonder where the Chinese Girl Scouts get their uniforms? :p

Gas Man
10-31-2010, 09:45 PM
I love those bumper stickers on Mexican made GM cars. LOL The stickers probably came from China too.
Yes but let's not get into that debate. It's still better than buying a foriegn car made in a foreign country.

Bob
11-01-2010, 12:45 PM
As for the girl scouts go. It's down right ignorant to stop supporting them because their vest might be made in China in my opinion. WTF?! Why punish the little girls because of it?

telecast
11-01-2010, 01:24 PM
It's down right ignorant to stop supporting them because their vest might be made in China in my opinion.

Hey, thanks for calling me ignorant Bob.

IGNORANT:

a : destitute of knowledge or education (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ignorant#) <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ignorant#)> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
: unaware (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unaware), uninformed (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uninformed)

— ig·no·rant·ly adverb
— ig·no·rant·ness noun

Since I don't have a lack of knowledge or understanding regarding this subject, and I'm not unaware or uninformed, I can only assume you are suggesting a lack of intelligence and/or education.

Now that's ignorant.

BTW, 'downright' is a compound word. It's written as one word, not two.

dogbreath
11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Haha, this forum is awesome if you picture everyone shaking their walking sticks at eachother.

Bob
11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Haha, this forum is awesome if you picture everyone shaking their walking sticks at eachother.

It's a bunch of old folk man. haha ;)

Bob
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I wasn't calling anyone ignorant I was just saying the idea of not supporting the girls because their uniforms, which they do not control, comes from China. You don't see anyone saying that they are not going to support our troops because some of their weapons are not born in the US. I doubt many of the USA flags we fly even come from the states.

Mad Dog
11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I wasn't calling anyone ignorant I was just saying the idea of not supporting the girls because their uniforms, which they do not control, comes from China. You don't see anyone saying that they are not going to support our troops because some of their weapons are not born in the US. I doubt many of the USA flags we fly even come from the states.

Your right Bob. I will continue to support and buy their cookies. My main objective here and on the other forums I posted this was to generate enough feedback to the Girl Scouts of America so that they may rethink their position. Send Them Emails!
And Buy Their Cookies!

Mad Dog
11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Looks like they changer their mind.Go Figure.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/girl_scouts_to_take_only_bids.html

telecast
11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
See? It was my threat of not buying their cookies. You guys are wimps.

Gas Man
11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I want some cookies... YUM

Bob
11-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Sorry if my comment came off as me calling you all ignorant.

Chris300s
11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
As an aside... The Girl Scout Org. owns the packaging and the "recipe" for the cookies. Several bakeries including Kellogg's (Keebler) manufacture's the cookies. The same or really, really similar recipes are available year round as different store brands.
One of the Dollar Stores sells the thin mints, made in Charlotte, NC just without the GS packaging.
BTW - Fuck them for trying to source their uniforms overseas.

Chris

Bob
11-01-2010, 09:26 PM
As an aside... The Girl Scout Org. owns the packaging and the "recipe" for the cookies. Several bakeries including Kellogg's (Keebler) manufacture's the cookies. The same or really, really similar recipes are available year round as different store brands.
One of the Dollar Stores sells the thin mints, made in Charlotte, NC just without the GS packaging.
BTW - Fuck them for trying to source their uniforms overseas.

Chris

Yeah, I get the peanut butter ones in the WalMart brand. LOL

sprink
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Fuck WalMart too!

I know that's another story.:D

sprink
11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
What I don't get is everyone is making a big stink about this. But I highly doubt anyone reads the tags of their clothes before buying them to make sure THEIR clothes are made in the USA. Because if they did they'd probably run around half naked most of the time. Someone told me they bought New Balance shoes because they were made in the USA. My NB shoes say "Made in China". It's only like a model or two actual made in the USA.

I DO read the labels of my clothes. If you look hard, even at the HD dealer, some of their tee's are made here. New Balance only makes some high end shoes here. I'm still wearing an old pair I bought because they were made here. Bought a Motorola phone because it was made here. Red Wings because they are made here. All my jeans and denim shirts are made here. Quit buying Levis cause they went to Mexico. Some stuff is really hard, but with clothes I actually choose between counties lol. Viet Nam, or Sri Lanka? Pakistan or Egypt? Anyplace over China,

If we all just tried, we could make a difference.

If it is something you intend to keep and use, why would anyone buy the cheap one you have to buy over and over instead of just buying a good one the first time.

RedneckMedic
11-02-2010, 01:05 AM
It's a bunch of old folk man. haha ;)

who the hell you calling old

Bob
11-02-2010, 06:57 PM
who the hell you calling old

Everyone but you. haha

Bob
11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I DO read the labels of my clothes. If you look hard, even at the HD dealer, some of their tee's are made here. New Balance only makes some high end shoes here. I'm still wearing an old pair I bought because they were made here. Bought a Motorola phone because it was made here. Red Wings because they are made here. All my jeans and denim shirts are made here. Quit buying Levis cause they went to Mexico. Some stuff is really hard, but with clothes I actually choose between counties lol. Viet Nam, or Sri Lanka? Pakistan or Egypt? Anyplace over China,

If it is something you intend to keep and use, why would anyone buy the cheap one you have to buy over and over instead of just buying a good one the first time.

It's tough for sure. I was at 2 shoe stores today and every shoe I looked at that I'd consider wearing was made in China.

WILEY
11-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Used to buy Red Wings. They are having a bunch of their stuff made in China now.

dogbreath
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah my last pair of Red Wings was made in USA and the current pair say "Made in China," bought them in like 06-07? Still get free everything forever with them.

sprink
11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
It is getting harder. I got screwed on a very expensive pair of Danner's, assuming they were made in USA. It was a couple years before I noticed the label. Red Wings started making the irish setter line in China. Shame.

dogbreath
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
It's not really their fault. If all of your competition are making their product for a tenth of the price then you have to make a move.

Bob
11-02-2010, 09:03 PM
It is getting harder. I got screwed on a very expensive pair of Danner's, assuming they were made in USA. It was a couple years before I noticed the label. Red Wings started making the irish setter line in China. Shame.

I have a pair of Danner's right now. Best boot I've ever worn. Made in China though.

Bob
11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
It's not really their fault. If all of your competition are making their product for a tenth of the price then you have to make a move.

Agreed. Because in the US people want a deal, plain and simple. if it was the case people would protest the big three once they started moving to Mexico and China. Instead they say, "This car is a deal!"

sprink
11-02-2010, 09:10 PM

For a tenth the price, it might be worth it. Unfortunately, the consumer cost is 80-90% and NIKE/WalMart/(insert evil corp here) pick up the savings and the stock holders are happy at 50% margins.

Gas Man
11-02-2010, 10:08 PM
You can actually search red wings boots by origin of manufacturing
http://www.redwingsafety.com/safety-boots

bottom left for selection

But no they are not all made here in the states anymore.

Gas Man
11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
376 boots

made in usa

Made in USA with Imported Materials

Assembled in the USA with Imported Components

made in china

sprink
11-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Well thank goodness, I order two pairs of 402's at a time and they are made in USA.