PDA

View Full Version : Vertical plate

Grantzphoto
10-26-2010, 11:03 PM
If you have a vertical license plate have you ever been busted by the police for it? I'm having a bracket fab'ed up where my plate will be vertical and bent in a light c curve and was wondering if I'm going to get popped a lot next year?

RedneckMedic
10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
never had a problem have had cops look at my bike many times and just tell me nice bike never a word about the plate (which the top letter cant be seen very well because it is hidden by the light) or my helmet. then again you catch a cop on a bad day he might pop you for it but im fairly sure its just a fix-it ticket.

vortech302
10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I have one on my bike and haven't been stopped for it yet, but I haven't had an officer right behind me and most of my riding is freeway

RedneckMedic
10-26-2010, 11:47 PM
ya with your bike their not catching you any way.

vortech302
10-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Of all the dumb stuff I do I could see myself getting stopped for something like that

horrorbusiness
10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
My friend had his plate verticle and never had a problem. His bracket broke and he has been riding for over a year with no plate, still no problems. I've rode the bike all over hell and back and cops don't give a hoot.

WILEY
10-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Never had a problem with my Hardtail that has a vertical plate.

And that bke is loud, fast and very red.

I have ridden it all over, but most of the time is spent on backroads outside a small town.

There is no law against vertical plates in Mchigan. Know Florida and other states have passed laws against it with stiff fines.

WILEY

Bob
10-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I made one for my old Vulcan and never got stopped.

Gas Man
10-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I never had problems on my chop, but that was a big, what most called OCC, chopper. Some of my HD buds have had so many problems that they went back to horizontal.

Bob
10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Just flip it sideways and sport a "Fuck the Police" decal on your tail and call it good.

dogbreath
10-27-2010, 10:30 PM
As long as it is readable from a car behind you most cops won't bother you, but it is technically illegal.

Grantzphoto
10-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I'm used to rolling less than legal (lowered acura) I just wasn't sure how big of a deal it was with the local PD's. I try to stay legal as much as I can but when style and function conflict with the law I generally ignore it lol. I assume this could be a big deal as the plate won't be easily read just like cars with tinted windows aren't easily looked into. I understand its a safety factor for our guys in blue but its a bit silly IMO.

apex factor
10-28-2010, 10:15 PM
haven't had a problem yet...except the time we went to the chili thing and the bracket broke :p

chopsmitty
10-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Three years on this bike and two on the bike before.. no problems - just stay away from Daytona, Fl.!! I've read elsewhere someone got fined $1100 in Daytona.