PDA

View Full Version : New here and to riding

Grantzphoto
10-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Hello everyone!

I know a couple people on here but would love to meet some more.

I just picked up my first bike an 81 Yamaha maxim 650. Its in pretty rough condition but over the winter I'm going to fix it up, change the gross color, and bob it out.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5060711259_5137fe112e.jpg

If you have time as well check out my photography website I love to add some bikes to my portfolio. http://www.grantzphoto.com

Cheers
-Grant

Gas Man
10-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Welcome! That will make a killer bobber. Just start cutting shit off of it. Springer seat, different color, change out the head light, ditch the windshield, big oem mirrors and blinkers... oh yeah man!

Nice site... Love the shots!!! oh and BTW... Kate is HOWT! (sorry if that's your daughter or somin).

RedneckMedic
10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
good luck with the bob project nice bike to start with with. what area are you from

Grantzphoto
10-07-2010, 11:57 PM
good luck with the bob project nice bike to start with with. what area are you from
The Rochester area.

Do you play rugby?

Bob
10-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Welcome to the forums!

telecast
10-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I kinda like the color. Tough to tell from the pic, is it copper, or brown, or what?

Welcome.

apex factor
10-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Grant good to see you here!

Grantzphoto
10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I kinda like the color. Tough to tell from the pic, is it copper, or brown, or what?

Welcome.

All of the above lol it's that house of kolor, color changing paint it's anywhere from purple to gold depending on the light. However it's getting flat black or a really dark grey I haven't decided yet.

Bob
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
All of the above lol it's that house of kolor, color changing paint it's anywhere from purple to gold depending on the light. However it's getting flat black or a really dark grey I haven't decided yet.

I thought it was that color changing stuff. I thought that stuff was cool back in like 1993 when it came out and was $1000 a quart but it got played out really fast.

Mudpuppy
10-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the site.. great photo website.. how do you like the Canon camera? looks like you are pretty serious about photos looking at the pics / exif data.. i picked up a Nikon D3000 over the summer and been playing with it - I am strictly using kit lenses and I am completely at a beginner stage but I love using a decent camera - DSLR that is.. It's sooo much better than point and shoot garbage..

RedneckMedic
10-08-2010, 06:50 PM
i played for three years but school and work got in the way so i took the year off. i wont have any school for about a year and a half after june so i hope to start playing again love that sport

Grantzphoto
10-08-2010, 07:04 PM
i played for three years but school and work got in the way so i took the year off. i wont have any school for about a year and a half after june so i hope to start playing again love that sport

My GF plays for Wayne States team. It looks like a ton of fun.

Grantzphoto
10-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the site.. great photo website.. how do you like the Canon camera? looks like you are pretty serious about photos looking at the pics / exif data.. i picked up a Nikon D3000 over the summer and been playing with it - I am strictly using kit lenses and I am completely at a beginner stage but I love using a decent camera - DSLR that is.. It's sooo much better than point and shoot garbage..

The canon is fun about a year ago I was considering a nikon system but canon is back to making some better equipment.

RedneckMedic
10-08-2010, 07:18 PM
My GF plays for Wayne States team. It looks like a ton of fun.

didnt know wayne state had a girls team too. i played for U of M Dearborn.

Bob
10-08-2010, 08:26 PM
didnt know wayne state had a girls team too. i played for U of M Dearborn.

UofM girls team?

RedneckMedic
10-09-2010, 12:46 AM
no mens side and when i said "girls team too" i was referring to it in the sense that they have a mens side and did not know wayne state had the womens side as well. ive seen a few female rugby matches and partied with a few of them after the game and no offense to your girl grant or any on her team but a few of those girls were more manly than me.

Grantzphoto
10-09-2010, 06:31 PM
no mens side and when i said "girls team too" i was referring to it in the sense that they have a mens side and did not know wayne state had the womens side as well. ive seen a few female rugby matches and partied with a few of them after the game and no offense to your girl grant or any on her team but a few of those girls were more manly than me.lol Yeah some of them are beasts.:eek:

junkyardjon
10-09-2010, 11:34 PM
welcome to the site. as for the paint... the color shift looks nice as an accent color, like scallops, stripes and so forth.

you going hardtail frame or keeping the swingarm?

Grantzphoto
10-10-2010, 01:10 AM
welcome to the site. as for the paint... the color shift looks nice as an accent color, like scallops, stripes and so forth.

you going hardtail frame or keeping the swingarm?

I'm up in the air about that right now. I'm a little bit afraid that the ride will be too miserable with a hardtail conversion but that's what I originally wanted to do.

Now I'm thinking aftermarket "coilovers" cause the form factor is smaller and less noticeable than my stock springs and dampers. However I think I can get more of a drop out of the hardtail conversion by extending the frame an inch or so. Apparently the drive shaft on these bikes has some room in the ouput shaft and yoke to play with.

Before any of that though I need to work on the slipping clutch (could just need an adjustment) and the brakes (leaking fluid and suck at stopping).

Gas Man
10-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Hard tail and springer or shock seat?

Grantzphoto
10-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Hard tail and springer or shock seat?

Hardtail and shock seat was the original plan. I'm on the fence about the springer front end look.

apex factor
10-10-2010, 09:37 PM
i say do the cheapest route to bob'n it...hardtail later if you are really up to it...

Bob
10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Hardtail and shock seat was the original plan. I'm on the fence about the springer front end look.

I've never been a real fan of the springer front look. Some bikes can pull it off but I just don't care for it.

Bob
10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Have you thought about going the cafe route with the bike instead of bobber? I've often thought that if you want to keep these style a bikes comfortable to ride but wanted to change the look that the cafe look always looks cool and it handles nice and is easier on the back.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/11/18/xs650-cafe-racer-and-street-tracker-conversions/

Grantzphoto
10-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Have you thought about going the cafe route with the bike instead of bobber? I've often thought that if you want to keep these style a bikes comfortable to ride but wanted to change the look that the cafe look always looks cool and it handles nice and is easier on the back.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/11/18/xs650-cafe-racer-and-street-tracker-conversions/

Yeah when I was looking for a bike at first I was all about the cafe style but now that I have the maxim it's just so much easyier to bob it. Having ridden about 100 miles today I feel confident that my back can take it. It's just the hard tail part I might hold off on like Wong sugested.

apex factor
10-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, we will be doing a lot of riding next year and your bike can't be down!

Grantzphoto
10-10-2010, 10:19 PM
My inspiration for the bobber came from this thread.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4306048-XJ-Bobber-Hardtail-Project-(-81-XJ650)/page3

But I like the softail idea that these guys did.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/01/07/yamaha-maxim-transformed/

Grantzphoto
10-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, we will be doing a lot of riding next year and your bike can't be down!

Truf! But the winter is long lol plenty of time to destroy this bike lol.

apex factor
10-10-2010, 10:31 PM
that softtail is HOT!

RedneckMedic
10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Truf! But the winter is long lol plenty of time to destroy this bike lol.
thats what i thought then i found myself rushing the last couple weeks to get mine to ride last spring haha. i dont put it away until mid december when the white shit comes and get it out again late february on nice sunny days.